Oil Filter Shootout

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1sLoY7

Reaction score
Looking at the "What kind of oil are you guys using?" thread and seeing the different filters you all use I subscribe to Petersons and Fourwheeler magazine and remembered an article I really liked. So I found the article and wanted to share it with you guy so that you can see what exactly is filtering your oil. I know seeing that article gave me peace of mind in my filter choice.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/engine/129_1202_oil_filter_comparison_fodder/index.html

prheaume

Reaction score
that's a realy nice article! I will print it and bring it to my co workers, they will love it. thanks !

Colt Hero

Reaction score
I'm using the same oil filter brand I've been using for 10+ years with my other 2 cars (which use 10w/30 'dino' oil):

SuperTech Wal-Mart oil filters.

Now, I AM using a full-synthetic oil with my Equinox and changing it every 5000+ miles (filter and oil), but is the SuperTech filter too low-end for the Equinox? I'm thinking it really doesn't matter ... but maybe for THIS particular vehicle I should be using a higher quality oil filter??

prheaume

Reaction score
For the price difference I go with the OEM one. It cost me 5,60$ at the dealership when a Fram will cost more.

2010BlkGraniteNox

Reaction score
I'm using the same oil filter brand I've been using for 10+ years with my other 2 cars (which use 10w/30 'dino' oil):

Now, I AM using a full-synthetic oil with my Equinox and changing it every 5000+ miles (filter and oil), but is the SuperTech filter too low-end for the Equinox? I'm thinking it really doesn't matter ... but maybe for THIS particular vehicle I should be using a higher quality oil filter??

It depends honestly...

The one thing I want from the oil filters that I use (especially in the cannister type) is metal end caps. Its one of the reasons I've been using Dana/Wix filters for years, slightly more expensive then the "value" lines, but cheaper than factory and typically better construction. On some engines I have heard of oil filters collasping due to high oil pressures, the end caps help fight this....Have I heard of this on an Equinox, I remember reading about a few I4's having this concern, was on the other nox forum if you wish to search for what was figured out.

Colt Hero

Reaction score
Does "High Pressure Fuel System" also mean "High Pressure Oil System"? If not, then I'm going to go with my experience with the SuperTech filters (which, apparently are A/C Delco filters). Yeah, the've got plastic caps, but I've been using them for over 10 years in two cars that have 370,000 miles between them and never a problem that I know of. Now maybe if you left the filter in for two oil changes (say, 7000 to 10,000 miles) you might experience a failure?

Colt Hero

Reaction score
Well whadayaknow? Looks like Wal-Mart isn't carrying SuperTech oil filters anymore! Seems like a Fram takeover with some Bosch and Purolator filters mixed in. I picked up a couple of Purolator filters for my '07 Taurus for $3.27 each. Pretty sure that's at least 50 cents more than what the SuperTechs were going for. Wonder what happened to the filters. Maybe A/C Delco stopped making them? SuperTech OIL is still on the shelves - but that's made by another company.

Reaction score
Purolator took over the spot on the shelves where Super Tech use to be. For 3k to 7K mile oil changes Purolator works well.

Colt Hero

Reaction score
Still like to know what happened to the SuperTech filters. Wal-Mart likes to carry the lowest cost item and Purolator is not the lowest cost filter. I'm thinking A/C Delco stopped making SuperTech for Wal-Mart ... maybe in response to Wal-Mart driving down the wholesale price. Maybe Purolator will pick up the SuperTech line.

Paul79UF

Reaction score

I've been using SuperTech oil and filters on our cars and family cars for a long time with no problems.

Although it seems like the ST filters are no longer sold, at least in the stores around here.

So now I use Purolator filters.

Members online

No members online now.