Navigation Startup has changed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trogdoor

Reaction score
Owned vehicle over 1 year, LTZ model, V6 & navigation. At some point last fall, the startup sequence changed for navigation. When vehicle is started and navigation screen is accessed, I am forced to go through the startup screen with all the legal stuff. After pressing "OK" the navigation screen appears. Also, when "Destination" is spoken in voice commands, it always starts from Washington DC and the state has to be changed. Before last fall, when navigation was left on as the vehicle was turned off, the next day navigation would automatically come back on without the legal stuff. Also, my current location would be the correct state, not Washington DC, when I wanted to start a trip. Anyone else notice a change, as I can not find anything in the menu to change this status?

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
Wow that is weird. I have a LT2 so I do not have the Navigation. But there are others that do. Hopefully they will chime in soon.

Z_Ghost

Super Mod
Reaction score
I had to go through the startup screen with all the legal stuff when I first got my Terrain, then one other time when I had not used it for a week, other then that it just starts up.
I have not used voice commands yet, I guess I should try it out, the map has helped me out a few times but so far I always have a idea were I am going.

Trogdoor

Reaction score
I continue to have the same original problem without a solution. I should have stated in my first post that it does not matter whether the unit is left in the "Navigation" full screen, or the "Radio" full screen. Upon startup, the unit defaults to the black legal screen. I can press the "I Agree" or press the radio button and the unit will become normal. If the car is turned off, and then immediatly back on, it will work. If it sits for 5 minutes or so then I have the problem. Anyone else with simular results or insight? Thanks

Z_Ghost

Super Mod
Reaction score
No idea as I have only had to click I agree 3 times in 3 months and I leave the nav screen up all the time.
Have you taken it to the dealer and had them check it out? Sounds like a memory problem, wonder if it has a battery that is used for memory that is not part of the main battery.

Trogdoor

Reaction score
Problem fixed by GM TSB PIO285. This TSB covers Chevy-Cadillac-Buick-GMC
Navigation systems in multiple vehicles 2010-2011. Their are 33 conditions addressed, ranging from the backup camera staying on, to clock inaccuracies. My vehicle had at least 3 of the problems. This TSB also includes IPOD sorting and playlists enhancements. All are problems are addressed through the USB port. If something seems to have changed from the way you remembered it, you may not be crazy after all.
After 22,000 miles now I keep finding ways the Nav system can enhance and entertain on trips. My biggest wish is that their was a confirmation button on the steering wheel, instead of having to lean forward to punch a button or screen list.
Also V6 on a trip is usually at around 22 or 23 MPG driving 70 to 75. Occasionally it will get 25 but I think that is when I get the rare tank of gas that does not contain ethonal. The trip computer is usually about 1 MPG optimistic.

Z_Ghost

Super Mod
Reaction score
nice that they fixed the problem and thnks for posting it up

canadianequinox

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the site, I joined today, because I finally made up my mind to buy and Equinox!!!
My question is, do you find the extra cash for the Nav system is worth it?
I work in IT and am in love with Technology, so I think I'd love it and regret not getting it...

Thanks!!!
Megan

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
Here is a question for you Megan.

Do you have a smartphone or gps unit already? Personally I don't think its worth it. But I always use the gps on my droid.

johns4949

Reaction score
Had all the TSB's installed fixed all the problems for about 3 months. The default Washington DC, losing the route when car is turned off and givint the system 'OK" every time I hit the navigation button have all come back. The dealers are puzzled and keep telling me nothing is wrong.

2010 LTZ 6 cyl about 27.5 pg on highway driving between 69 and 71 mph and usually 20 - 22 around town.

johns4949

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I have contacted GM and will wait to see what their thoughts are.

johns4949

Reaction score
Mine is in the dealership today for another try. I think they have run out of talent there. GM has contacted me and is in touch with them to assist them in any way they can. Also it's kinda crazy to wait 2 years for a map update only to find out it won't work. No wonder people are buying Garmin portables with better maps, data and features then anything GM has, and they include FREE updates for the life of the unit. I think $215.00 for the GM update is pure crap.

johns4949

Reaction score
Replaced entire radio system and nav unit. Works great now. The GM extened warranty has paid for itself 3 times over the cost so far. Theres lots of mechanical problems with the 2010 Equinox.

Members online