GM penalizes those who bought Navigation option and rewards those who didn't with Maps+?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JackT

Reaction score
"Maps Plus is designed for 2018+ vehicle owners who didn’t purchase the option for in-car navigation when they bought their vehicle, said Tim Babbitt, senior manager for digital experiences at GM. It integrates with other popular apps, including music streaming services like Spotify or voice assistants like Alexa, which will appear as individual widgets superimposed over the map. While plotting a destination, Maps Plus will also notify the driver of the current speed limit or if they will need to refuel along the way. The advantage over Android Auto and Apple CarPlay is Maps+ itintegrates with the Infotainment environment."

Maps+ requires an Internet connection, which is where they promote OnStar Connected Services subscription service, but so does the expensive Navigation option if you want traffic updates. The free Maps+ is constantly updated while the expensive Navigation option gets updated annually and costs you $149 from HERE and out of date by the time you get it installed. So it seems they are penalizing the people who spent the big bucks for the Navigation option.

With the new Google system you can get around subscribing by setting your phone to tether, and then join the network using in the Infotainment center. MyChevy comes alive when you tether also so I'm guessing GM Navigation and Maps+ would too.

So why does it make sense to pay the big bucks for the GM Navigation option and pay $149 to update it once a year and go through and update procedure while Maps+ is updated continually, automatically, and free? One would think at least the updates from HERE would be free. What am I'm missing?

I'm simply trying to make sense of this. It's not like the automakers are in the driver's seat on this one. Users can Velcro a tablet over the Infotainment center too and tether, and run all manner of apps on them.

Last edited:

JackT

Reaction score
Heck, I just plug my phone into the car and use Waze or Google for my navigation. Those stay updated and provide additional information. For free.
I have been using my phone in the past. The new vehicle I set up with Android Auto and AAWireless too. However, the integrated approach rather than two different environments is nice too. Since the car came with GM NAV, I thought I could just update the maps. I received a response on how the 2023 maps are coming out the end of this month and that each update costs $149. Then I thought about Maps+ etc. and GM's strategy started to not make sense.

I understand HERE is involved from prior, but Maps+ integrages too. However, from HERE's perspective, I would THINK it would be MORE profitable today for them to offer users $149 with future updates free because as things stand with Maps+ and Android Auto, they can't have many takers, and probably not enough revenue to maintain them. One user in Arizona complained about the 2022 update that didn't reflect a highway opened two years prior. I would THINK it would be a lot MORE profitable for GM/HERE to offer existing owners updates for $149 with free future updates because with Maps+ and Android Auto competing, they are already in the position of trying to sell snowballs to Eskimos.

I'm trying to make sense of the lay of the land. GM charges more for data connections that are tied to a vehicle that require very little data, than individuals pay with a phone number with data that travels with them, and can use for any purpose in any vehicle. Auto makers are in no position to force a subscription by dropping Android Auto now that everyone has a smart phone and tablet that they take with them. They don't need their infotainment center for navigation. I'm just having a rough time accepting that HERE and GM, and GM spent resources on Maps+ with free updates for those who DIDN'T buy NAV, and then charge $149 to those who DID spend the big bucks, for once-a-year updates that are not automatic, with neither supported by a competitive Internet connection.

Last edited:

SteveK

Reaction score
My previous vehicle 2014 came with a 2011 navigation. After a new highway was built and the nav showed me driving on the farmland in 2016 I asked if the updated map for $$$ included the new highway, they did not know. i bought it, loaded and saw no difference, at least no new hwy displayed so I got my money back. Since then I have used google maps for navigation, nearly perfect as it has some errors too. But it had this new hwy within months of opening. GM can keep their updates.

JackT

Reaction score
My previous vehicle 2014 came with a 2011 navigation. After a new highway was built and the nav showed me driving on the farmland in 2016 I asked if the updated map for $$$ included the new highway, they did not know. i bought it, loaded and saw no difference, at least no new hwy displayed so I got my money back. Since then I have used google maps for navigation, nearly perfect as it has some errors too. But it had this new hwy within months of opening. GM can keep their updates.
- One would think a 2014 would come with maps newer than 2011.
- This is the second time I've heard from someone with an experience like yours. The first was a guy in Arizona where an expressway had been there more than two years before. I would infer from this that few rely on the built-in Nav app, few pay HERE for updates, resulting in little motivation for HERE to maintain them. If GM and HERE were serious, they would have a way for people to try them out on their web site. It could feed into their OnStar connect sales but instead they seem to be pushing MAPS+ and Alexa.
- This is useful information for me and others. My take is one would be investing in something GM and HERE have sunsetted. Nav was an expensive option and one would think that GM & HERE should simply tell people it has been sunsetted, give away their latest maps, and clearly state the MAPS+ is its successor. People understand electronic technology evolves more rapidly than other fields.

Members online

No members online now.