Just need some wisdom and guidance! :)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Imperfectlyperfect

Reaction score
I have a 2014 2.4 FWD and I’ve had it for about a year n half.. I bought it with 134,500 miles. I now have 179,500. I do drive a lot. But I’ve noticed I’ve been having to add oil all the time. I do regular oil changes.
About 3 months ago my truck started stalling on take off. It’s only when I first go to give it gas. Forward or reverse. I think reverse may be slightly worse.
I’m getting horrible gas mileage.. I do a lot of highway driving.
Also I noticed my rpm’s fluctuate at stops and red lights. My rpm’s drop down below 500 and feels like it’s gasping..? So I naturally just throw it in neutral. Then rpm’s go back to normal..
How do I check my tranny fluid? I pretty sure it’s low.
And my door locks are also jacked up!! Seems like it had its good days and bad. I know they won’t lock or unlock when it’s cold out. They don’t lock when put into gear anymore.
Just seems like it’s constantly something. I have 2 more years to pay on it.
Any guidance is appreciated..

And is it safe to run that E85 fuel? I heard it’s hard on the engine.. Thoughts?

NOX4ME

Reaction score
Only use E85 if your engine is designed to use E85. I'm guessing that you purchased your vehicle as a preowned vehicle? If so did you pull a CARFAX to check for previous problems and damage to the vehicle? I would start there. Some of the problems you are describing are related to the vehicle being involved in a flood. This may or may not be true. The oil consumption can probably be tied to a clogged PCV system. There is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) and a Recall for this engine regarding oil consumption. As far as the idle and running problem it is most likely a clogged fuel injector. The cheapest -- and most effective way to check for a clogged injector is to add a bottle of Redline Complete Fuel System Cleaner when your tank is at 1/4 full. Then fill up with a good Top Tier Premium Fuel then run it on the highway/freeway for about 30 minutes, intermittently stomping on the accelerator to WOT (Wide Open Throttle) if you see a cloud of black smoke exiting from the exhaust it means that carbon is being cleaned from your combustion chamber. Unfortunately there is no way to check the transmission fluid; well, there is but it's a difficult procedure if you're not mechanically inclined. According to the owners manual, unless the transmission is slipping, or experiencing a hesitation engaging drive or going around turns there's no reason to check. However, I would suggest taking it to a trusted transmission shop to check. I'm guessing you've never changed the transmission fluid? With the amount of miles on your vehicle it's definitely recommended.

swisscheese

Reaction score
I have a 2014 2.4 FWD and I’ve had it for about a year n half.. I bought it with 134,500 miles. I now have 179,500. I do drive a lot. But I’ve noticed I’ve been having to add oil all the time. I do regular oil changes.
About 3 months ago my truck started stalling on take off. It’s only when I first go to give it gas. Forward or reverse. I think reverse may be slightly worse.
I’m getting horrible gas mileage.. I do a lot of highway driving.
Also I noticed my rpm’s fluctuate at stops and red lights. My rpm’s drop down below 500 and feels like it’s gasping..? So I naturally just throw it in neutral. Then rpm’s go back to normal..
How do I check my tranny fluid? I pretty sure it’s low.
And my door locks are also jacked up!! Seems like it had its good days and bad. I know they won’t lock or unlock when it’s cold out. They don’t lock when put into gear anymore.
Just seems like it’s constantly something. I have 2 more years to pay on it.
Any guidance is appreciated..

And is it safe to run that E85 fuel? I heard it’s hard on the engine.. Thoughts?
Since you don’t know the history of the car before you got it, I highly recommend you do a transmission fluid change with that many miles on it

Imperfectlyperfect

Reaction score
Only use E85 if your engine is designed to use E85. I'm guessing that you purchased your vehicle as a preowned vehicle? If so did you pull a CARFAX to check for previous problems and damage to the vehicle? I would start there. Some of the problems you are describing are related to the vehicle being involved in a flood. This may or may not be true. The oil consumption can probably be tied to a clogged PCV system. There is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) and a Recall for this engine regarding oil consumption. As far as the idle and running problem it is most likely a clogged fuel injector. The cheapest -- and most effective way to check for a clogged injector is to add a bottle of Redline Complete Fuel System Cleaner when your tank is at 1/4 full. Then fill up with a good Top Tier Premium Fuel then run it on the highway/freeway for about 30 minutes, intermittently stomping on the accelerator to WOT (Wide Open Throttle) if you see a cloud of black smoke exiting from the exhaust it means that carbon is being cleaned from your combustion chamber. Unfortunately there is no way to check the transmission fluid; well, there is but it's a difficult procedure if you're not mechanically inclined. According to the owners manual, unless the transmission is slipping, or experiencing a hesitation engaging drive or going around turns there's no reason to check. However, I would suggest taking it to a trusted transmission shop to check. I'm guessing you've never changed the transmission fluid? With the amount of miles on your vehicle it's definitely recommended.
Thank you for the insight.. I’m pretty mechanically inclined.. So, an update..
I’ve replaced both intake solenoid and exhaust solenoid.. That fixed the truck from stalling on me on take off.. :) And fixed the idle problem! Today I’m replacing the plugs and valve cover gaskets! I’ll see if I can squeeze the tranny flush! Thank you guys! I appreciate your words!

PaulD

Reaction score
Also, I’ve never ever used the E85. I was told it’ tears your motor up?
No, it won't negatively affect your engine if your vehicle is designed for it. E85 compatible vehicles have a yellow gas cap. E85 contains less 'energy' so your gas mileage will go down some. Congrats on solving your idle problem. If you replaced the solenoids, you can handle changing the tranny fluid (which, even if it was changed just before you bought it, should be changed again. There is no 'backyard mechanic' way to drain it all out. Only 4 qts will drain from the drain plug so drain and replace 4 qts. Check its condition. If it is horribly smelly and almost black like my wife's was at 60k miles, then repeat the following week and again the week after that. Proper fluid level is when it starts to trickle out from the upper plug when warm.

Members online

No members online now.