How to Permemnatly Disable Auto Stop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vgreid

Reaction score
Installed the auto start eliminator a couple of weeks ago and it’s awesome!

ricklack

Reaction score
Are you sure the tach does not drop to zero? On mine it goes to zero when the engine shots off. when the engine starts when releasing the brake it jumps back up.
Actually, I lied - not intentionally. I looked closer at my tach and see that it does indeed have an Auto Stop position, slightly above O. My apologies.

straykat

Reaction score
You missed my point. Justify all you want to disable the auto start, I really don't care. You cannot provide proof that the starter will last longer. Had you said after 30K miles I had to replace starter, then you may have a point. But doing this because it may shorten the life of starter is not a valid reason.
There are those that do not like the start/stop/start, go ahead and disable, you have reason to.
How long does a starter last, or how much longer will it last?
Is it similar to tires not wearing as fast if you stay parked longer.

I like it, and if it burns less fuel, so much the better for me and the enviroment.
Even the least knowledgeable person should realize the more the starter gets used the shorter time wise the starter will last. Everything has a useful amount of cycles it will run before it has problems or quits working altogether. For example a starter may have 10,000 useful start cycles and if you use them up in 3 years to try to "SAVE THE PLANET" and the starter quits working you have to replace it to get drive the car. When I drive mine with auto stop it stopes and restarts at every stoplight so if I have 20 stoplight going some place it restarts 20 times. Every time the starter is used to auto start the car at a traffic light shortens the life of the starter. Add in the fact that when you let off the brake and the auto start operates and the engine surges it puts strain on the transmission and drivetrain and shortens the life of the transmission and drivetrain. The manufactures see this as a bonus for them to sell a transmission, drivetrain parts, starters, batteries and the labor to repair them.

ryan780

Reaction score
I hate to pile on but aren't the emissions when starting your car much worse than when the car is idling? If so, there's an argument to be made that if you're only going to be stopped for a couple seconds stopping the engine is actually worse for the environment.
Personally, I disabled mine because it was too jolting when it restarted. I've driven cars where it's imperceptible. Not so with my Equinox. Plus the lag time of the restart combined with the lag of the turbo in the engine caused too much lag for me. But I'm also the most impatient person in the world.

ricklack

Reaction score
My 22 RS is imperceptible. I had a 21 Tigaun loaner and it had quite a jolt. I also drove a 23 Edge loaner and that falls in between my Nox and the vdub in noticeability.

If the Nox ever gets like that VW I may just get a bypass.

When I bought the Nox I asked the dealer about the wear on the starter and they claim these are super heavy duty and designed for over a million starts. We'll see - I have warrantied up and plan to test this theory.

As for more emissions, I think that would apply to cold engines. The start/stop won't kick in until fully warmed up, among other conditions. The engine barely turns over and it is running again, amazing to me that they catch so fast. Since auto stop was designed to appease the tree huggers, i would sure hope it is not making pollution worse!

Severum17

Reaction score
I hate to pile on but aren't the emissions when starting your car much worse than when the car is idling? If so, there's an argument to be made that if you're only going to be stopped for a couple seconds stopping the engine is actually worse for the environment.
Personally, I disabled mine because it was too jolting when it restarted. I've driven cars where it's imperceptible. Not so with my Equinox. Plus the lag time of the restart combined with the lag of the turbo in the engine caused too much lag for me. But I'm also the most impatient person in the world.
I feel that the auto start/stop was partially to help get the factory the additional fuel mileage required. To me, the feature is beyond annoying. I disabled it. I have a lag but I deal with it. I find it hard to believe that it would save the planet.

Severum17

Reaction score
My 22 RS is imperceptible. I had a 21 Tigaun loaner and it had quite a jolt. I also drove a 23 Edge loaner and that falls in between my Nox and the vdub in noticeability.

If the Nox ever gets like that VW I may just get a bypass.

When I bought the Nox I asked the dealer about the wear on the starter and they claim these are super heavy duty and designed for over a million starts. We'll see - I have warrantied up and plan to test this theory.

As for more emissions, I think that would apply to cold engines. The start/stop won't kick in until fully warmed up, among other conditions. The engine barely turns over and it is running again, amazing to me that they catch so fast. Since auto stop was designed to appease the tree huggers, i would sure hope it is not making pollution worse!
Do you really believe that its a "super heavy duty starter"? The sales guy would tell you it would shoot golden nickles out the exhaust if thats what it took to sell the car.

ricklack

Reaction score
Do you really believe that its a "super heavy duty starter"? The sales guy would tell you it would shoot golden nickles out the exhaust if thats what it took to sell the car.
Actually I talked to the service manager and some of the mechanics, who would never lie about this. :ROFLMAO:

I know better than to trust a salesman. And I also warrantied up.

Severum17

Reaction score
Actually I talked to the service manager and some of the mechanics, who would never lie about this. :ROFLMAO:

I know better than to trust a salesman. And I also warrantied up.
40 years for me in the Chevrolet dealer environment. Chevy Parts Manager. There are some good sales people that know the product and some dont know how to put gas in it.

ricklack

Reaction score
40 years for me in the Chevrolet dealer environment. Chevy Parts Manager. There are some good sales people that know the product and some dont know how to put gas in it.
When I got my 22 RS, I asked the sales guy where the fog light switch is. He searched and searched while I grabbed the Manual out of the glove box. IE, he had no clue that there were no fog lights on the RS, they are only available on the Premier. So yeah, he always had an answer, just usually it was some made up BS. But he is likeable and I always BS with him when the car is being serviced.

Now the issue of no fog lights on an RS, which in years past stood for Rally Sport, makes zero sense to me. Nowadays, RS stands for pretty. No performance upgrades at all. Rant over lol

StuBlue

Reaction score
My dad's Ford Escape auto start had a noticeable delay every time you tried to hit the gas, I found that very annoying. The Equinox doesn't seem as bad to me. Still, I think it's dumb there isn't a way for the owner to choose if they want it on/off without having to buy an aftermarket component.

InkyDoggy

Reaction score
I have one on both my equinox’s that hooks up to the battery sensor . Works great no issues was a little pricey but I read lots of reviews on the hood latch one where people said the remote start was affected and that I can’t live without !!
I have a 2019 Premier 2.0 and I purchased the small cable that plugs in by the hood latch and I also have remote start. The cable works perfectly with no issues to the remote starting or anything else.

Reaction score
I looked up several YouTube videos on how to disable the auto-top feature in the 2018 Chevy Equinox (put it in L, + sign up to sixth gear, then back to drive). Which does work, but only for a time. It reverts back after you return to your vehicle. Is there a way to disable this permanently?
Just shift to "N" at stops, less work than a Stick Shift of yesteryear....

Reaction score
FYI, I ended up buying this cable and installing it. Was very easy (just zip tied it down). But I had to remove it, after my wife said she lost power when trying to drive it over a bumpy rail road tracks. Was almost like it wasn't getting gas/power when hitting the pedal. Removed it again, and everything is fine now. Any thoughts on that? Otherwise I guess I'll just have to live with it.
GM needs a GOOD ASS WHUPP'N on this ignoramus de-enginering BS!!

Members online