General Motors Supplier Quality Issues .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsfb6pts

Reaction score
General Motors really needs to address their supplier quality .
Now the center caps on 3 out of 4 wheels are peeling .( $28.53 each $25.03 with my discount )
At first I thought I may have some how did it, or perhaps some scoundrel was trying to steal them .
I noticed two at first and ordered them . Yesterday when I was washing it. I noticed the 3rd .
Today when I went to pick the two I had ordered I went into the shop and asked the dealer . They then told me it is a "plating issue " and they would order two more and they will replace them all .
I understand that they have saved me the $50.00 but this is the 3rd supplier issue I have had in less than 9 months . Rust on the lift gate struts replaced twice ,pitting on the grill replaced twice also .Now the center caps .I am not happy .
Here are 3 pics
Update ,I just looked at the center caps on my wife's 2011 Malibu .
The center caps are fine ,however they are a polished chrome and the Equinox is more of a brushed chrome .
Most likely a different plating process or even a different supplier .

Attachments

• 15 001.jpg
    15 001.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 15 002.jpg
    15 002.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 15 003.jpg
    15 003.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Z_Ghost

Super Mod
Reaction score
I am thinking that the supplier quality is really getting bad too.
Maybe GM is pushing them to lower their prices to much.

jsfb6pts

Reaction score
If they would quit buying those parts from china ,india, taiwan and every place else in between I probably wouldn't be witting this .
They got their concessions during the bankruptcy ,they should bring that work home .

nox-rocks

Reaction score
I had all 4 rims replaced while under warranty on my 08, 09 and 2010 GMC Sierra's because the clear was coming off. I had the chrome front bumper replaced on my 09 Sierra with 8000 miles because the chrome was rusting. I had the paint clay barred on my 09 with 6000 miles as the entire body was changing from white to red from what appeared to be cancer. There is definately something wrong with the plating and clear coating process but since it has not been taken care of in at least the last 4 years it probably won't ever be. Watch your gold bowtie on the back, they are almost guarenteed to peel while under warranty.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
You should have bought a Silverado instead of the Sierra. :p

My 07 Silvy Dmax looks almost as good as new except for the few scratches that I have added to it.

nox-rocks

Reaction score
You should have bought a Silverado instead of the Sierra. :p

My 07 Silvy Dmax looks almost as good as new except for the few scratches that I have added to it.

I would have, if I could have gotten past that fang appearance going on with the front bumper. :(

Lenn

Reaction score
The gold bowtie emblems on the fronts of our 2008 Tahoe and 2007 impala are both peeling. The Tahoe has been the two transmissions and a center differential, (its got 36k miles on it) and the impala and Tahoe both have had the steering columns serviced twice due to the joint in them going bad causing a knock in the wheel. The Tahoe has been thru all four wheel speed sensors and a brake caliper.

I know this is a GM site, but I think their quality lacks in alot more areas than just aesthetics recently. My equinox is shaping up to be following suit... but it was a used car.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
No offense but it seems these reoccurring issues follow in suit for you and your vehicles. I would hate to see the issues you would have with any other make...

I will preface by saying that I come from a HUGE GM family. We have owned multiple vehicles of the ones you mentioned and a ton more of other Chevy cars...

85% of them lived to see 200k without that many issues per vehicle...

Sorry that you are having these issues.

jsfb6pts

Reaction score
I also come from the GM Family. I retired with 34 years in June of 2007 .I will only buy GM and I won't even allow a foreign car in my drive way .
I really believe that it is the tier 2 suppliers that all the problems are from . I have not been the only one with these problems, service bulletins etc and when they did look at my wheels they knew what was going on right away . Just some bad luck on some minor issues .( I hope )

Lenn

Reaction score
No offense but it seems these reoccurring issues follow in suit for you and your vehicles. I would hate to see the issues you would have with any other make...

I will preface by saying that I come from a HUGE GM family. We have owned multiple vehicles of the ones you mentioned and a ton more of other Chevy cars...

85% of them lived to see 200k without that many issues per vehicle...

Sorry that you are having these issues.

Ill drive anything. I prefer Volvo over most but they are pricey now that an older beater wont cut it.

Before passing judgement on me about the way I drive, you should know that I've had a Volvo 760 Turbo sedan go 378k miles and a 1998 Volvo S70 T5 go 267k miles. I'm METICULOUS with all my vehicles. I have owned two Ford trucks (one that was more severly used than the ither... both never missed a beat) and this is my first GM. Our Mazda has been absolutely flawless over the 75k miles we've owned it and we had a Honda accord before that that made me vow never to own another Honda... but it also had 120k on it when we traded it in.

Sorry to go off in a tirade but that comment irked me. Yes, I drive a GM and prefer Ford... doesn't mean I don't like my vehicle but I've not had any experience with GM before this personally (except my fieros but I didn't expect them to be great cars)... and I've owned 19 cars in my 28 years. I'm not a fanboy of any brand.... except Volvo. Lol.

Don't be so quick to judge.

EDIT- oh I guess I should elaborate. The impala and Tahoe are company cars. They don't personally belong to me but I'm the custodian of them so I oversee maintenance and repairs.

jsfb6pts

Reaction score
Ford did ( or still does ? ) own Volvo .GM before the bankruptcy produced the front wheel drive transaxle for Volvo .

Lenn

Reaction score
Ford sold Volvo two years ago and the transaxle you're referring to was in the 1999-2005 S80 with the T6 (twin turbo 2.9L inline 6) engine. I worked for a Volvo service department for 7 years. In fear of what some on this site might say, you should do a little research on that transmission. It was the bain of a Volvo techs existance. When they first came out, they had an unspoken/unwritten 40k mile life expectancy and as they started to work kinks out between a Caddilac transmission with Volvo sensors, they were able to increase that life to roughly 80k miles. It was terrible.

The reason they had to outsource a GM transmission in a Ford owned/ Volvo designed product was two fold. 1) Ford didnt (at the time) produce a FWD car that put out over 300lb/ft tq so they didnt subsequently have a transmission that could handle that kind of output. 2) Price. The car was projected to have a starting price of somewhere in high $30k range. If Volvo was left to their own devices and design its own transmission, it would have delayed the car another almost 2 years and potentially push it over the $40k base price mark. NOT what Ford wanted.

That car (1999-2002ish) S80 T6 was absolutely terrible. It turned ALOT of Volvo owners away. I don't blame them. The transmissions weren't the only problems but it was the only one that continued on thruought its existance.

Morale of the story: STAY AWAY FROM ANY 1999-2005 VOLVO WEARING THE T6 BADGE UNLESS YOU HAVE DEEP POCKETS.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
Ill drive anything. I prefer Volvo over most but they are pricey now that an older beater wont cut it.

Before passing judgement on me about the way I drive, you should know that I've had a Volvo 760 Turbo sedan go 378k miles and a 1998 Volvo S70 T5 go 267k miles. I'm METICULOUS with all my vehicles. I have owned two Ford trucks (one that was more severly used than the ither... both never missed a beat) and this is my first GM. Our Mazda has been absolutely flawless over the 75k miles we've owned it and we had a Honda accord before that that made me vow never to own another Honda... but it also had 120k on it when we traded it in.

Sorry to go off in a tirade but that comment irked me. Yes, I drive a GM and prefer Ford... doesn't mean I don't like my vehicle but I've not had any experience with GM before this personally (except my fieros but I didn't expect them to be great cars)... and I've owned 19 cars in my 28 years. I'm not a fanboy of any brand.... except Volvo. Lol.

Don't be so quick to judge.

EDIT- oh I guess I should elaborate. The impala and Tahoe are company cars. They don't personally belong to me but I'm the custodian of them so I oversee maintenance and repairs.

Sorry that I irked you and that you thought I was being quick to judge. We all go through a period where it seems we can't get a vehicle to last without repairs above routine maintenance. I wasn't trying to attribute it to a way you drive other than the fact these were vehicles you currently drive but now that I look back it looked that way.

Some of those older volvos were stout. I have taken a few to the scrap yard with a ton of miles on them. I am not a fan of foreign auto makes because I have watched their market turn. At one time through the late 80's to the early 21st century they had a quality build car that outlast the American cars. Consumers bought them like crazy and still buy them today for the same mentality. Only thing is that today by the time you purchase and stick to the routine maintenance program $$$ you may or may not have a vehicle that will last as long as the American builds... Foreign quality has either fallen or American made cars have improved...

The new volvos are sick cars. My buddy needed a family car coming from a Mustang GT to a 4 door and it looks pretty sporty. Not my cup of tea and very costly but he likes it.

Anything like Mazda, Nissan , Toyota or Nissan I touch DIES. I don't know why. And of course I am a Honda hater :lol:

I go through trucks and cars quick with tons of miles. I am 28 and have owned over 30 vehicles in my lifetime. I currently have 5 on my property...

I like cars but I love trucks more.

Lenn

Reaction score
II figure this might fit in well.

Every week, all three of our department vehicles get cleaned and Armor All'ed. This morning I dicovered this little doozie on our Tahoe. Again, this is a 2008 with 37k miles on it.

IMG_20110725_094215.jpg

Nice crack in the dash right where the raised portion for the instrument cluster starts. Man... I thought cracked dashes were a GM thing of the 80's. Guess not.

Its not like this is a ratty old beater that sees nothing but abuse, either.
IMG_20110725_100315.jpg

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
II figure this might fit in well.

Every week, all three of our department vehicles get cleaned and Armor All'ed. This morning I dicovered this little doozie on our Tahoe. Again, this is a 2008 with 37k miles on it.

IMG_20110725_094215.jpg

Nice crack in the dash right where the raised portion for the instrument cluster starts. Man... I thought cracked dashes were a GM thing of the 80's. Guess not.

Its not like this is a ratty old beater that sees nothing but abuse, either.
IMG_20110725_100315.jpg

No abuse Huh? Did it come that way? It appears to me that the bottom half of the front bumper is missing.

That's actually the first crack that I have seen in a dash since the Cavaliers...

I would guess someone has taken it off roading baja style if that's what it took for the bumper to be gone at 40k....

My diesel truck has the same dash with 80k miles on it and its a towing freak of nature. There is not a day that goes by that its not over loaded. I have had all four wheels off the ground on one occasion. That was a bouncy ride. :lol:

Not to mention it can hold its own against a new 5.0 Mustang. :peace:

Lenn

Reaction score
Hehe... missing, no. Removed by our unit right after delivery to us, yes. We go places that would tear the stock one peice bumpers all to hell (similar to Border Patrol) so they take preventative measures to make sure we don't have to drive them around looking war wounded.

Again, as I stated... its definitely seen its share of off pavement use, but its not a Baja racer.

Last edited:

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
Hehe... missing, no. Removed by our unit right after delivery to us, yes. We go places that would tear the stock one price bumpers all to hell (similar to Border Patrol) so they take preventative measures to make sure we don't have to drive them around looking war wounded.

Again, as I stated... its definitely seen its share of off pavement use, but its not a Baja racer.

Definitely takes away from the look of the vehicle, doesn't it?? Lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Lenn

Reaction score
Not really. You should see the bumpers on the couple Tahoe's we have that are not modified... they flare out at the tires and the mounts are all bent/broken.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
Not really. You should see the bumpers on the couple Tahoe's we have that are not modified... they flare out at the tires and the mounts are all bent/broken.

Well I meant the general appearance overall, ha... I know that those vehicles that are already damaged should have had them removed already.

If that were my Hoe and I was using it like that I think I would put a heavy duty utility/service bumper on it.

Lenn

Reaction score
We looked into them... they don't exist for the Tahoe. We even contacted Ranch Hand and Road Armor directly.... no luck.

Members online

No members online now.