Front suspension clunking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2011chevyequinox

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have a 2011 Lt with the 2.4l fwd

It's making a loud knocking noise over even small bumps.

there's no noise at all while turning the steering wheel. No creaky, worn rubber noise. I disconnected the sway bar links to check if it was a question of the sway bar bushings.

It's still making the noise, only over bumps, at any speed, but not while the car is turning.

I took it to a local mechanic and asked them to inspect the suspension and they said everything is tight, noting it might be a bad strut. Bad struts apparently make a ton of noise as they're connected directly to the body and transfer that noise into the cabin.

I used quick struts (completed strut) by KYB I believe. That was a few years ago now.

Any thoughts on it being something more?

gmasuch1

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have a 2011 Lt with the 2.4l fwd

It's making a loud knocking noise over even small bumps.

there's no noise at all while turning the steering wheel. No creaky, worn rubber noise. I disconnected the sway bar links to check if it was a question of the sway bar bushings.

It's still making the noise, only over bumps, at any speed, but not while the car is turning.

I took it to a local mechanic and asked them to inspect the suspension and they said everything is tight, noting it might be a bad strut. Bad struts apparently make a ton of noise as they're connected directly to the body and transfer that noise into the cabin.

I used quick struts (completed strut) by KYB I believe. That was a few years ago now.

Any thoughts on it being something more?
I have a 2015 with the same noise. Years ago I had a truck that had the same noise mostly notice at slower speeds with bumps or rough roads. It was the intermediate steering link. They are built with some play in them that let the slide and the grease in them that dries out causing the noise. I have not fixed mine yet. Not much to changing just hard to get to. Not saying it is your problem but could be.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 8

2011chevyequinox

Reaction score
I have a 2015 with the same noise. Years ago I had a truck that had the same noise mostly notice at slower speeds with bumps or rough roads. It was the intermediate steering link. They are built with some play in them that let the slide and the grease in them that dries out causing the noise. I have not fixed mine yet. Not much to changing just hard to get to. Not saying it is your problem but could be.
Thanks for the response!

Members online