Front brake diagram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oldschool

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post. I'm an aircraft mechanic, for 26 years. I've been working on cars for about 35 years, I do all my own maintenance. My wife has a '03 Buick Lesabre so I'm somewhat familiar with current GM vehicles.

Now my question, today I did the change over to snow tires on my sister-in-laws 2006 Equinox. She was telling me the Nox was making a funny sound, similar to when the wheel bearings failed (R/H side)last spring. After changing the tires I took it for a drive and it does sound like bearings. I know these GM vehicles go thru bearings on a regular basis but don't think it's the bearings.

When I had the front wheels off I noticed the inside edge of the rotors is rubbing on the bracket that the caliper bolts to. The caliper bolts to floating pins but this bracket is fixed, I don't know how this could happen. I'm thinking wrong rotors the last time they were changed or maybe there is a spacer missing that moves those brackets inboard slightly.

Anybody have a diagram of the front brakes on one of these vehicles. I think the brake setup is the same or very similar to my wifes car but really don't have the energy to pull her wheels to have a look. I'm currently getting radiation treatment for cancer so don't want to crawl under cars if I don't have to. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
What kind of noise it is making. I have a 2006 Saturn Vue and I just replaced all 4 hubs because or a roaring sound that would make you think it was a bad tire belt. Once replaced the noise disappeared.

nestor06

Reaction score
It sounds like I have a similar problem

This was originally posted on GMForum.com

I recently bought a 2006 Equinox with 113,000 miles on it. The problem I am having is that it makes an unusual ratcheting sound (not real loud, but annoyingly noticeable) when the brake is applied. I've isolated it to the left front wheelwell area. At first I thought it was metal on metal, but the pads are good and rotors look new. It almost sounds like sticking a playing card in and out of the spokes of a bicycle wheel except it sounds plasticky and hollow and rhythmically intermittent, not constant. Or that ratchety sound of a roller coaster going up the track. It makes the sound predominately as I am coming to a stop and slows down as the car slows down (one to one speed related ratio). It's strongest at say 10 mph to zero. It will even do it if I let the car creep while easing off the brake. It will not make the noise at all with no brake pressure applied. And as for high speed, if it does it all, I can't tell. It doesn't seem to do it in reverse either. I cannot duplicate the problem on jacks; it seems to have to have the weight of the car on it to make the noise. I've looked for things rubbing (i.e. boots, shrouds, etc.) while on jacks and in gear but to no avail. I have not removed the hub or replaced parts yet. I am at a loss to further diagnose this problem and any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

nestor06

Reaction score
After a painstakingly close inspection, I was able to duplicate the problem on jacks. I think I can narrow it down to the wheel bearing on the left front side due to possible disc thickness variation. With just the right amount of brake pressure, the disc drags ever-so-slightly through the pads and thereby loading the bearing and causing the noise. I will change the front wheel bearings, discs and pads and update this thread accordingly.

nestor06

Reaction score
Just a final update: I replaced both front wheel bearing assemblies, discs and pads. this solved my problem. The left bearing had a rough spot on it. If you replace the hub bearings, I recommend getting a hub puller (I used an OTC 7208A, $37), an assortment of pry bars and a hand sledge. A butter knife and a hammer actually helped split the mating surfaces. Good luck!

1ATony

Reaction score
We carry new brake pad and rotor kits for the Chevy Equinix. We carry wheel hub bearings too. Here's a link to the Equinix section on our website, if anyone would like to see what we have to offer.

Chevy Equinox Auto Repair Parts

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
Just a final update: I replaced both front wheel bearing assemblies, discs and pads. this solved my problem. The left bearing had a rough spot on it. If you replace the hub bearings, I recommend getting a hub puller (I used an OTC 7208A, $37), an assortment of pry bars and a hand sledge. A butter knife and a hammer actually helped split the mating surfaces. Good luck!

Did you have a time with that hub bearing replacement? I've done 3 of them on my 06 Saturn Vue. The front one I had to remove the entire lower control arm and had it pressed out at the local shop.

I then had to have it aligned once reassembled. The rears were easy. Tons of beating though

Members online