fogged intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

comp

Reaction score
used 2 3/4 cans total over 1000 miles,,,2/3 can drove about 3-400 miles changed oil filter another 2/3 can about 4-500 miles then again i say 2/3 can because i was spraying thru the intake hose behind the MAF meter,,it never threw a code and that really surprises me. Drone about 100 miles then changed oil . Have put 8-850 on it and the bottom end torque is Better,,i check my milage constantly (not the dash) im up 1.2 mpg after,,,,i dash reads im get 2.3 mpg better than i really DO,, dont notice much difference above 3500rpm but idle up to there is better.. So my new plan is spray about 1/2 can the week before i change oil.

ricklack

Reaction score
On my 2013 V6 I had used Seafoam and sprayed it in just before throttle body - I used one can and was surprised how little smoke came out the exhaust. I didn't notice any huge gains, but it didn't hurt either. I had @ 350,000km when I traded it in and never repeated the treatment. The engine purred like a kitten the entire time I owned it.

It had 75,000km when I bought it and they must have been mostly highway miles, which is what I put on it as well. With all the black soot I had to constantly clean from the exhaust tips, I figured trying to clean it out with Seafoam was in order. The result really surprised me and I learned the black soot was just the way it was gonna be. When I changed the plugs I looked around and the inside of that engine was spotless - I would say highway driving was why.

For someone who does more city driving I can see fogging being a bigger benefit. I also am a somewhat aggressive driver- when I pass I do not slowly speed up, I mash the pedal and get around them. I always felt that helped blow out any carbon, if any was there. I still do that with the 22 4 banger, as much out of necessity due to less HP.

I got my pedal mashing ways from my Mom, of all people. She had a 58 Pontiac that had battery issues and after a jump she would take it on the highway and give her hell! It didn't really help the battery more but I think it made her feel better. I watched the needle hit 120 more than once and my love for speed was born LOL

NOX4ME, he is trying to clean out carbon buildup which is common on these newer Direct Injection motors.

Last edited:

comp

Reaction score
On my 2013 V6 I had used Seafoam and sprayed it in just before throttle body - I used one can and was surprised how little smoke came out the exhaust. I didn't notice any huge gains, but it didn't hurt either. I had @ 350,000km when I traded it in and never repeated the treatment. The engine purred like a kitten the entire time I owned it.

It had 75,000km when I bought it and they must have been mostly highway miles, which is what I put on it as well. With all the black soot I had to constantly clean from the exhaust tips, I figured trying to clean it out with Seafoam was in order. The result really surprised me and I learned the black soot was just the way it was gonna be. When I changed the plugs I looked around and the inside of that engine was spotless - I would say highway driving was why.

For someone who does more city driving I can see fogging being a bigger benefit. I also am a somewhat aggressive driver- when I pass I do not slowly speed up, I mash the pedal and get around them. I always felt that helped blow out any carbon, if any was there. I still do that with the 22 4 banger, as much out of necessity due to less HP.

I got my pedal mashing ways from my Mom, of all people. She had a 58 Pontiac that had battery issues and after a jump she would take it on the highway and give her hell! It didn't really help the battery more but I think it made her feel better. I watched the needle hit 120 more than once and my love for speed was born LOL

NOX4ME, he is trying to clean out carbon buildup which is common on these newer Direct Injection motors.
is yours a direct injection engine ? this is my first all my others ,,and different makes have been port injected so my regular clearners in the tank have kept things Clean,,i did do a test with TECTRON and it burnes hoter plugs and O2 looked almost snow white after a tank with strong mix and 200 miles on highway,,wish i chould have scoped it cat. LOL

NOX4ME

Reaction score
you shouldn't have any build up on your intake valves. Those engines are direct injected. Puts the fuel right in the combustion chamber. If you're getting build up on your valves the seals are bad and you need to do a valve job.

ricklack

Reaction score
is yours a direct injection engine ? this is my first all my others ,,and different makes have been port injected so my regular clearners in the tank have kept things Clean,,i did do a test with TECTRON and it burnes hoter plugs and O2 looked almost snow white after a tank with strong mix and 200 miles on highway,,wish i chould have scoped it cat. LOL
Yes, it was a 3.6 V6 DI.

While I never the need to repeat the Seafoam, I did use Techron regularly as a preventive measure.

Members online