Engine Valve Cover Seals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RampRat31

Reaction score
Good morning, all.

As I mentioned in my introductory post yesterday, I am facing the daunting choice of having a shop replace the engine valve cover seals due to leaking oil. Truck only has 124,000 miles on the odometer, and after watching several YouTube videos on this issue, it's looking more and more like a nightmare waiting to happen. These 3.4L V6s aren't that easy to work on when mounted transversely as they are. If they were mounted front to back, then it would be no problem. But as it is, it's going to drive me nuts having to squeeze in between the "right" side of the engine and the firewall with all those AC lines and various other HVAC/vacuum hoses in the way. A friend of mine suggested to unbolt the engine from the motor mount and tilt the engine toward the front of the car, and that alone is scary enough because I'm not a licensed mechanic.

So, I am reaching out to others on here to see if they had done the valve cover seal replacement on their motors. I am aware that I may have to replace the intake cover seal as well because you do have to take the intake plenum OFF to access the valve cover seals. Nightmares abound! Wish this thing was the 5.3L V8 that was in the Suburban we had gotten rid of beforehand. :( I had a much easier time with that motor than this one. TIA!

Members online