DIY How to Install Chrome Handles 2010-2012 Chevy Equinox GMC Terrain video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bowtieman

Reaction score
My Equinox is a 2012 1LT that did not come with the factory GM chrome handles. I really liked how they looked on the chrome packaged models. Plus I think around the chrome window trim blends well with the chrome handles and also if you have chrome roof rack covers. If the window trim were painted, I prob would have stayed with my painted handles.

Here is a How to video i made, since I have not seen a full DIY thread or Video on how to do this. It does come with instructions in the box which is rare for Gm parts lol but they are easy to put on and I thought many of you would like a visual. Hope it is helpful!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHH4o419FjA

I was going to just get the chrome stick on covers, but I live in AZ and in the 115 degree heat, I have seen some pull off when you grab the handle lol So the factory ones will be a much better option.

GM part# 19212052 (All 4 handles come in one box) Retail Price $145 Online price$110-$120.

I recommend Amazon, or fastgmparts.com or I am sure everyone here on the forum has prefers their own place to buy gm parts from. Just beware of gmpartsdirect website since they have outrageous shipping charges.
Also keep an eye out for ebay, I watched for months and got a steal on mine brand new on ebay for $45. I was shocked no one else outbid me. I just kept searching for the part number or Malibu, Equinox or Terrain chrome door handles. There is a lot of chrome handle covers on ebay as well so beware and make sure your getting the actual handles not just stick on covers.

Tools you will need:
-T25 Torx bit or Screwdriver
-Plastic card
-Soft clean cloth dry/damp or I used Meguiar’s Quick Detailer to clean around handles once old ones are removed.

Hope this info is helpful!

Last edited:

2010BlkGraniteNox

Reaction score
Nice

They look great on the Black Granites! Its a very nice addition w/o going overboard with the factory chrome package

bowtieman

Reaction score
Awesome video! That will help some people out!

I embedded the video in your post. I hope that was ok!

Thank you!! Glad people enjoyed it and hope it comes in handy for others. It does take some time editing and filming, but to me its worth it, because if someone has questions you might spend a longer amount if time trying to explain it lol.

I think its cool when its embedded, but only downfall is when you use the taptalk app for this forum on your mobile phone, you are not able to watch embedded video's. On my iPhone just shows it like this. See screenshot below. Plus there is no link to click on. So I just added a quick link hope that's cool.

4bab18bb-b5d3-57e5.jpg

Last edited:

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
Thank you!! Glad people enjoyed it and hope it comes in handy for others. It does take some time editing and filming, but to me its worth it, because if someone has questions you might spend a longer amount if time trying to explain it lol.

I think its cool when its embedded, but only downfall is when you use the taptalk app for this forum on your mobile phone, you are not able to watch embedded video's. On my iPhone just shows it like this. See screenshot below. Plus there is no link to click on. So I just added a quick link hope that's cool.

4bab18bb-b5d3-57e5.jpg

No that's cool... I will remember to not Delete the link on your next thread. Mobile Youtube can be handy with these installs.

panox

Reaction score
I stared on my drivers door and I guess I pushed too hard and broke that hook that shows in 2:49,now I gotta open the drivers door from the other side all the time,cant tell if that part which is attached to a spring is a unit or just a piece,looks like its part of the door lock assembly ,I had the door panel off and its difficult to see,also couldnt find the the hook part that broke off.

bowtieman

Reaction score
Sucks that happen while installing. It's pretty straight forward not sure what went wrong. I can help the best i can. might have to go to the dealer if it cant be resolved. Did the plastic piece break on the door handle itself?
Sounds like you stated something inside broke . Did you hear something fall in the door panel? Maybe something got out of alignment. There is only two points were the handle latches onto.
Can you still open the door from the inside?

ytyzurud.jpg

bowtieman

Reaction score
Do you still see these two points of plastic ? If so you may not gm have broken anything , may just not be grabbing onto the door handle properly.

Front part if door
a6y5a8aj.jpg

Rear part if door handle. V shaped plastic piece

susy8aze.jpg

panox

Reaction score
in that 2nd pic you see that black thing (hook) mine is white & is missing,I heard something fall when I removed the handle,it looks like its attached to a circular spring,I looked inside & felt around the inside of the door but cant find anything,its not listed on that part sheet either,the handle just opens very loosely & isn't catching anything

bowtieman

Reaction score
Sounds like if you cannot locate it something must have came off or broke. See if you can stick a flashlight in there to see if it broke or came loose.
I would take it to the dealership and let them know you door handle is not working. Just see what they say first. It's up to you if you want to mention it was because of something you were trying to install. Never know it might have been a faulty part and would have broke anyway down the road lol.
Don't worry about them taking off the door panel. If something is not right let them know. Good luck

panox

Reaction score
yeh I looked around with a lite & mirror,hard to see the part because the metal blocks the view,gonna give it another look ,I think that part broke off,hope I have better luck with the chrome mirror covers.also hard to see how that parts gets removed ,no fasteners to be seen ,a simple thing turns into a bigger problem

kelseymay

Reaction score
Will save lots of money

Your how to video will save lots of money for most of the forum users. We are very much used to just rushing to the motor mechanic shop to get even the simplest things.

Staff online

Members online