Cold Air coming From Heater

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

56STEVE

Reaction score
2006 Chevy Equinox is blowing cold air when on heat. Definitely don't want this happening during winter. Suggestions on what could be wrong?

Chevy#11

Reaction score

ricklack

Reaction score
First thing to check is if the thermostat is stuck open. If so, the coolant will never heat up to provide heat.

Honestly, thermostats are cheap, if you are taking it out to check it would be wise to just replace it. Good time for a coolant flush and replace.

If that doesn't fix it, and the coolant level is good, you could be looking at a blocked heater core. If you replace the thermostat and do a flush and fill, you may want to flush the heater core separately to be sure it's letting coolant flow through it.

95-007

Reaction score
I had this problem a long time ago with my '05. As mentioned above, flushing the heater core alone, after a full system flush and reversing the heater core flow repeatedly will get that cleared.
In 2005 there was a brown sealant added to the coolant at the factory that caused quite a few problems. After I went through the flushing cycle a few times, I stopped replacing the suggested sealant and the heater core clogs ended.

A couple of years later, my son blew the head gaskets on the car, "mudding" and over revving the engine. After the heads were resurfaced and replaced, I noted a slight coolant leak outside of the back head near the #1 cylinder and rather than use the brown pellets suggested, I used alumaseal with no problems.

cavell

Reaction score
You can unhook hoses leading to heater core. You don’t have to remove hoses at firewall. Makes flushing the heatercore easier. There is a tee fitting on hose that goes to surge tank so pinch that off otherwise water will flow up to tank instead of into heatercore. Not a big deal

bearbait

Reaction score
Could also have air in system . If it's the v-6 there is a bleeder on front right side top of engine.

Members online

No members online now.