Cleaning Engine Compartment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rbiggers

Reaction score
So how does everyone clean their engine? I am always looking for a better way to do this. Right now I just go to a car wash bay, hit the engine compartment with some spray on soap, and wash off with low pressure spot free rinse. It cleans everything ok, but still leaves it kind of dull looking. Is there something else I can do (without hand scrubbing it) to really clean and shine up the whole compartment? It's not old and greasy, so I don't think I need to use any kind of degreaser. Thoughts?

Z_Ghost

Super Mod
Reaction score
They have some spray on stuff that works good, can not remember what it was called.
I will look when I get time this weekend.

rbiggers

Reaction score
Never heard of it. I might have to give it a try. I don't want anything that will be too greasy, either. That would just cake up with all of the dust we have around here.

Z_Ghost

Super Mod
Reaction score
Might try spraying a little on there and then take an old rag and wiping it down so to take off the excess.
It will dry up some what after the motor has run some and it will make it easer to clean the motor the next time.
I never had to deal with the dust like you have out there so I'm not sure how that will work out.

rbiggers

Reaction score
Might try spraying a little on there and then take an old rag and wiping it down so to take off the excess.
It will dry up some what after the motor has run some and it will make it easer to clean the motor the next time.
I never had to deal with the dust like you have out there so I'm not sure how that will work out.

That is exactly what I have to do with tire detail spray to keep dust from sticking to and caking up on the tires. The dust and wind is just hell out here. The California Duster is my best friend:peace:!

Z_Ghost

Super Mod
Reaction score
I have been out there a few times and I have seen the wind and dust storms you get out there.

rbiggers

Reaction score
I'm thinking I may try some Mother's "back to black" on the black plastic parts. This may attract dust as well though.

2010BlkGraniteNox

Reaction score
I'll have to check the auto parts stores for this. I've never seen it before.

I get mine at the marine store locally

I have used this product mainly as a clearbra polish/cleaner..but it works great on other plastic parts. After trying other produces, I just started to use it in the engine bay on the all the plastic to remove the water stains after cleaning, clean/polish the headlights, and on the gray plastic trim around bumps. It gives a nice look w/o oily residue is what I like.

I highly recommend the product for cleaning plastics...I have not used inside the cabin, but I would imagine it would do nicely in the trim pieces if needed as well.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
Yeah I think I was using a product called tuff stuff on my truck.... Let me tell you. It got the job done for sure! :waytogo:

rbiggers

Reaction score
I get mine at the marine store locally

I have used this product mainly as a clearbra polish/cleaner..but it works great on other plastic parts. After trying other produces, I just started to use it in the engine bay on the all the plastic to remove the water stains after cleaning, clean/polish the headlights, and on the gray plastic trim around bumps. It gives a nice look w/o oily residue is what I like.

I highly recommend the product for cleaning plastics...I have not used inside the cabin, but I would imagine it would do nicely in the trim pieces if needed as well.

I gotta try some of this! I bet it would be perfect for the black plastic trim on my tailgate and bumper, too!

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
I wonder if it would take off the excess wax... Remember how on older vehicles if you got that wax on window seals and anything that was black plastic it would stay there forever?

I wonder how that would do?

2010BlkGraniteNox

Reaction score
I wonder if it would take off the excess wax... Remember how on older vehicles if you got that wax on window seals and anything that was black plastic it would stay there forever?

I wonder how that would do?

It removes the wax line you get at the transition of clearbra....so should work on plastic and seals

Members online