Bike rack for 2023 LT - no trailer hitch unfortunately

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gfalco1952

Reaction score
When we upgraded from a 2012 LT to a used 2023 LT, that the new Equinox did not have a trailer hitch. We have a hitch-mount bike rack that works great. Can anyone recommend an EASY to put on dual bike rack for the back window/liftgate? OR am I better off to try and get a hitch put on?

Hey Vern!

Reaction score

Billh

Reaction score
After a couple months waiting for a GM hitch, I finally got it installed Tuesday. When my car was ready, I expected the hitch to be showing. It wasn't. I like it.

Attachments

• IMG_1936.JPG
    IMG_1936.JPG
    204.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1935.JPG
    IMG_1935.JPG
    267.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1934.JPG
    IMG_1934.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 19

electricdiver

Reaction score
Had a hitch installed on my 2019 last year and they didn't have the option for a cover, even though I had seen older models with a cover. So mine is exposed with a trim bezel - looks ok.

Pjkid

Reaction score
After a couple months waiting for a GM hitch, I finally got it installed Tuesday. When my car was ready, I expected the hitch to be showing. It wasn't. I like it.
Bill,
Just to confirm,
So that this the GM hitch?

RadioHead

Reaction score
Billh, That is awesome! I would love to get one of those!

RadioHead

Reaction score
Billh;
Did you also have to purchase any other fitment parts like a new bezel or closeout, or did they come with it? Or were the stock parts sufficient? I see the cut out for the hitch on the rear bumper is the same as my wife's Equinox.

It looks simple for me to install by the look of the part; however, I did not get under the car to see what obstructions might be in the way, etc.

RadioHead

Reaction score
Billh;
Did you also have to purchase any other fitment parts like a new bezel or closeout, or did they come with it? Or were the stock parts sufficient? I see the cut out for the hitch on the rear bumper is the same as my wife's Equinox.

It looks simple for me to install by the look of the part; however, I did not get under the car to see what obstructions might be in the way, etc.
I just found the OEM hitch installation video. It involves a lot more work than I anticipated. While not real difficult looking, it involves a lot of time and removing the entire rear panel that partially wraps around the car. I had to remove the entire front end piece of my 2008 Malibu just to replace headlamp bulbs. In fact I did it so many times I got real quick at it and I could do it by removing only one side.

Anyway, as I age I get second thoughts on doing this stuff. I may let GM do the install. I'm not sure my wife would be thrilled if I tore the rear of her brand new car apart for this.

Billh

Reaction score
Billh;

With our later model Equinox’s rear fascia there is no need for a separate bezel or cover. Everything’s already there. I didn’t want to take a chance on damaging my fascia so I let the dealer do the install.

AmmoJoe

Reaction score
I installed an aftermarket on my 2019. Very easy to install but the OEM definitely would be better. Granted you have to cut the bumper. The aftermarket one is fine but if you go that route I recommend getting one of those 2 into 1 hitch extenders to bring up the height of anything you put on the hitch. Otherwise you may have issues dragging coming in/out of the driveway and things like that.

Lee

Reaction score
When we upgraded from a 2012 LT to a used 2023 LT, that the new Equinox did not have a trailer hitch. We have a hitch-mount bike rack that works great. Can anyone recommend an EASY to put on dual bike rack for the back window/liftgate? OR am I better off to try and get a hitch put on?
I would add a hitch because your rack will probably hold the bikes more secure than one that attaches to the liftgate.
We ordered our Equinox with the trailer package and I like the plastic cover over the receiver when not in use.
The trailer package is no longer a option but a new Equinox Premier I looked at a few weeks ago had that removable cover.
Are you sure your Equinox doesn't have that cover. It might just be a Premier thing??
Here's the Saris rack we have.
1708387111449.jpeg

gfalco1952

Reaction score
To close the loop, I bought a Yakima trunk mount. It was easy for even this 72 y o to put on and use. Amazon $137IMG_4879.jpeg

StuBlue

Reaction score
I would recommend the hitch. etrailer.com has one that will come out below the bumper. You can buy the regular hitch, but you would need to trim the rear bumper and add the accessory trim. With the hitch, you have the flexibility to add a cargo rack or tow a small trailer, too.
Yes, definitely more versatile.

Did you get the hitch from the dealership or is their someplace cheaper to get it? Have any pics of how it looks before you installed it?

Billh

Reaction score
Yes, definitely more versatile.

Did you get the hitch from the dealership or is their someplace cheaper to get it? Have any pics of how it looks before you installed it?
I ordered the hitch online from GM and had it shipped to the dealer for installation. The hitch replaces the bumper support bar.

AmmoJoe

Reaction score
I ordered the hitch online from GM and had it shipped to the dealer for installation. The hitch replaces the bumper support bar.
This is definitely the preferred method. The aftermarket is fine, but it’s sits very low and you have to get an adapter to bring it up higher

Members online

No members online now.