2022 OEM Trailer Hitch install videos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BCraig

Reaction score
I have a 2022 Equinox LT 1.5 and I want to install the OEM Trailer hitch for hauling my bicycle around. I've search for video of the install, but haven't had any luck. Can someone point me to a video showing the removal of the bumper and installing the OEM trailer hitch. I found one video on youtube of a deasel model, but the details for the bumper was lacking. Any help would be appreciated.

ricklack

Reaction score
I see a picture of the bumper cover on page 254 of the manual, and instructions to remove it. I have no video link info tho.

rbrown0248

Reaction score
I see a picture of the bumper cover on page 254 of the manual, and instructions to remove it. I have no video link info tho.
I installed a hitch on my 2020 Equinox and did not have to remove the bumper. Are the 2022 bodies different?

Last edited:

BCraig

Reaction score
Thanks for the rreply, but the picture you referenced is the cover that covers the factory hitch. I need to remove the full bumper cover/trim and the actual bumper underneath the cover in order to install the OEM hitch. I need guidance in removing the entire cover/trim/facia in order to remove the bumber. The hitch actually replaces the aluminum bumper under the cover. Again, thanks though.

ibendtin

Reaction score
I have a 2022 Equinox LT 1.5 and I want to install the OEM Trailer hitch for hauling my bicycle around. I've search for video of the install, but haven't had any luck. Can someone point me to a video showing the removal of the bumper and installing the OEM trailer hitch. I found one video on youtube of a deasel model, but the details for the bumper was lacking. Any help would be appreciated.
This subject caught my attention as I bought an aftermarket (Curt 13439) hitch and haven't yet installed it. This hitch sits below the bumper, so not at all like the OEM. It will be an obvious aftermarket product. Oh well. '22 RS.

Darrol450

Reaction score
This subject caught my attention as I bought an aftermarket (Curt 13439) hitch and haven't yet installed it. This hitch sits below the bumper, so not at all like the OEM. It will be an obvious aftermarket product. Oh well. '22 RS.

Darrol450

Reaction score
Check on etrailer for an install video.

Roadburns

Reaction score
I'm also looking for video/instructions to be able to install the OEM hitch receiver but I haven't been able to find any videos. I've seen a number of them for aftermarket receivers but I also want to have the OEM receiver so that it doesn't hang down so low in the back. I plan on using it for my bike rack hauling our ebikes. Pricing I've found on the OEM receiver is around $300 and I've seen seen estimates for installation run between $150-$1000 dollars. I'll post again once I find something. Let me know if you end up finding something as well. Thanks.

hildy66

Reaction score
I have a 2020 that I just bought the OEM hitch for, hope to get it installed in the next couple of weeks. I found this YouTube video for a 2018, but looks like it should be very similar.

Mtcrumb

Reaction score
The factory on sits higher up than the aftermarket
and your factory cover will hide when not in use.
More expensive but a cleaner look in my opinion.

Bamablond

Reaction score
I did a search for that and got this video which seems to have it covered 100% but no trailer wiring included, 2022 trailer hitch installation by U-Haul

Mtcrumb

Reaction score
The wiring on a 22 is easy you have a plug under the back bumper just pull out the dummie plug and install this.
Takes 5 min to install it has the built in relays to function properly with your LED tail lights.

Attachments

• 18B222EC-9E50-48C4-8AFE-B742D587B938.png
    18B222EC-9E50-48C4-8AFE-B742D587B938.png
    464.5 KB · Views: 5

cmeq

Reaction score
Adding my experience to the OEM trailer hitch install on a 2022 Equinox. Part # 85111903.

The most difficult piece is removing and installing the bumper.

1. Pictures on Chevy dealer web sites all show the trailer hitch upside down from the way it gets installed.
2. No install instructions come with the trailer hitch.
3. I did find the video mentioned previously in this thread which helped immensely in figuring out the install.
4. The trailer hitch doesn't install like 3rd party trailer hitches which go underneath the frame. Those videos IMHO are misleading and useless.
5. The trailer hitch slides into the frame by removing the existing aluminum bumper.
6. BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN REMOVING THE BUMPER. THE BODY SHEET METAL IS VERY THIN!

Install procedure.

1. I did not have to jack up the rear of the vehicle to install the hitch.
2. Use T15 Torx bit to remove the screws along the bottom/outside edge of the bumper. Ten screws in all. Two hold the blank trim where the hitch will be exposed.
3. Use a 7mm socket to remove screw (down facing) where top of bumper meets the wheel well. One each side.
4. The top side of the bumper attaches to the sheet metal via tabs that slide into the bumper. The sheet metal tabs are about 1 1/2" wide and are also very thin.
5. Given the thinness of the sheet metal, I did not use the method described in the video.
6. Working around from one wheel well to the other, push up on the diamond shaped release on the inside of the bumper while simultaneously pushing in on the corresponding spot on the outside of the bumper. The bumper will slide in about 1" or so which is far enough, then move on to the next tab. Didn't count them, maybe 16 in all.
7. When all the tabs are released the bumper can be easily pulled out off. My bumper had no sensors to deal with. The rear view camera is higher up on the tailgate.
8. Remove the aluminum bumper. I was expecting the bolts to be super tight. They were not and came off with out much effort.
9. The bolts/nuts are 15 mm. I used a universal joint on the end of a 9" extension to get to the top two nuts on each side of the bumper.
10. Remove the bolts off the muffler hangers on each side and swivel the hanger out of the way.
11. Pull hanger off the metal hook on each hanger.
12. The muffler hanger on the pipe feeding the muffler will hold the muffler up so no need to strap the muffler up.
13. Remove the bumper.
14. Brush out or vacuum the inside of the frame. (Not needed, just me).
15. Slide in the new trailer hitch. The bolts welded on the hitch frame should be on top. The round trailer light mount should be on the right of the 2" draw.
16. Swivel the muffler clamps back in place.
17. Use the same nuts/bolts to secure the trailer hitch to the frame. Use same amount of force to tighten these as used to get them off. Don't over tighten. Metal felt soft when I tightened them.
18. The six included bolts are 17mm. There are two plates also included in the kit.
19. The metal plates go one on each side, on the two end bolt holes of the hitch. Bolt holes are offset. Plates will be parallel with the frame. On mine, the side with the stamped number faced down away from the frame.
20. Insert and tighten the bolts. I applied a bit of torque to get these tight.

Trailer light cable (before replacing bumper).

1. There should be a connector for the trailer lights. There is a weather cap on the end.
2. Slide the red tab to the rear and remove the weather cap.
3. Slide on the new cable extender on to the connector and push the red tab in to lock it in place.
4. Feed the cable along the top of the hitch and pull through the mounting plate to the right of the 2" receiver.
5. Attach the L-bracket to the hitch using the two 10mm nuts/bolts. The nuts are self locking. Bottom short piece of the L-bracket is down and facing out.
6. Pull the connector through the L-bracket and then place the black adapter around the trailer light connector. There is a groove on the adapter which should match up with the strap of the weather cap.
7. The open side of the adapter goes down. Use the 7mm nuts/bolts to secure the adapter to the L-bracket, one washer on screw head, one on nut side. Screws have lock-tite like on ends to secure the nuts.
8. Use cables ties to secure the cable to the hitch frame. Put a cable tie on each side of the connector to eliminate chance of a rattle.

Replace bumper.

1. Start in the middle, lining up tabs on body with slots on the bumper. They won't pop in, just get them close.
2. Work from middle to either side. Push in on bumper from inside, while simultaneously pressing on sheet metal on the outside. When tab locks in, move on to the next.
3. Verify bumper and body panel are lined up.
4. Install Torx screws. Four per side.
5. Install 7mm screws. One each inside top where bumper meets body at wheel well.

Install hitch trim.

1. insert hitch trim which came with the kit.
2. Use two remaining Torx screws to secure the trim.

Done.!

Mski7

Reaction score
So I can’t find the OEM w/ 4-pin connector (part # 85111903) in stock anywhere, so was thinking about getting the OEM Hitch platform (part # 84480375) instead since I just need it for a bike rack and won’t be towing anyway. I’ve got a 2023 Equinox LT with the removable section of the rear bumper with cutouts for the hitch receiver.

I had a couple questions that I was hoping someone might be able to answer:
1. Does the install require any permanent modification to the vehicle? Or can I take it off in a few years and replace to stock?
2. If I buy 84480375 do I need any other bolts / plates or can I just use what’s already holding the current aluminum bumper on?

I asked for a quote to get it installed but might just try and do it myself since I don’t think i have to cut the bumper which was my only concern.

Billh

Reaction score
So I can’t find the OEM w/ 4-pin connector (part # 85111903) in stock anywhere, so was thinking about getting the OEM Hitch platform (part # 84480375) instead since I just need it for a bike rack and won’t be towing anyway. I’ve got a 2023 Equinox LT with the removable section of the rear bumper with cutouts for the hitch receiver.

I had a couple questions that I was hoping someone might be able to answer:
1. Does the install require any permanent modification to the vehicle? Or can I take it off in a few years and replace to stock?
2. If I buy 84480375 do I need any other bolts / plates or can I just use what’s already holding the current aluminum bumper on?

I asked for a quote to get it installed but might just try and do it myself since I don’t think i have to cut the bumper which was my only concern.
85111903 is the hitch, hardware and harness that you want. The hitch replaces the aluminum bump bar. I had the dealer install mine and I requested returning the bumper bar back to me.

Members online