2020 Equinox AWD - Excessive drive train noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bnuhfer

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Premier awd (22k miles) and have noticed what i feel is excessive about amount of drive train noise. I have tried different tires/alignment and have had the dealer look at it, and they claim nothing is wrong. It almost sounds like a bad wheel bearing, but checked and told nothing wrong...has anyone experienced this and if so how did you get it resolved?
Thank You

trytibbs

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Premier awd (22k miles) and have noticed what i feel is excessive about amount of drive train noise. I have tried different tires/alignment and have had the dealer look at it, and they claim nothing is wrong. It almost sounds like a bad wheel bearing, but checked and told nothing wrong...has anyone experienced this and if so how did you get it resolved?
Thank You

gary255

Reaction score
I had a 2018 Equinox awd and the drive train was extremely loud when the weather was down in the teens or colder. I had it to the dealer too many times to count. Changed the oil in the transfer case, replaced a cv axle, even replaced the transfer case as a last resort all under warranty. I even replaced all four tires with Goodyear assurance comfortred touring. Nothing worked. Finally traded it in on a 2021 GMC Terrain awd which is actually the same platform but hopefully won't have the same issue. I would add that for some reason the noise was present only in front wheel drive mode. When in awd the noise was gone. Don't ask me why! And the noise did sound like a bad wheel bearing.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well, ya know, the lil rides are Mass produced and if you've ever toiled in a Production factory make'n stuff then I'm sure you are keenly aware of all the foibles that occur in the "push" process of meeting quotas.
I've had many brand new Autos, M-Cycles, SUVs, Sports Cars and Boats. All, and even the high dollar Euro cars, have quirks and perturbations that defy explanation.
By the way, all the Aircraft in the world cost'n millions of dollars a piece have been found to have used parts in the Turbines even. Think on dat the next time you board one while escaping to Cancun, Barbados or COVID ridden Florida.
Personally I've felt much better in buying used Cars an Trucks because my expectations are lower and the shell out dough is like 1/3rd to 1/2 less costly. Lotta good wheels a round that are high mileage but have been kept up by previous owners that still have mucho life left in 'em.
Just say'n ya all....

Wtc00rjk

Reaction score
Was your AC on at the time?
I have found that 2015 Equinox have an extremely noisy compressor. It is the vibrabation that is created from such a light vehicle. The stabalisation of the AC Compressor SUCKS.
Turn of the AC and the loud vibration stops instantly. Chevy will not do anything for it they claim it is the design.
I say BS, it is a flaw in design.
I can hold the brace and stop the noise. It is a flaw in manufacturing

486dx4

Reaction score
Does the noise change when on different roads? Sometimes when on concrete roads I get noise but I would not call it drivetrain noise - more like tire noise perhaps. Then you go to asphalt paved roads and the car is much quieter. Does the noise change (better/worse) when turning right or left? Yes, you did look at alignment and tires, etc so this is a hard issue to figure out.

waltham41

Reaction score
Does the noise change when on different roads? Sometimes when on concrete roads I get noise but I would not call it drivetrain noise - more like tire noise perhaps. Then you go to asphalt paved roads and the car is much quieter. Does the noise change (better/worse) when turning right or left? Yes, you did look at alignment and tires, etc so this is a hard issue to figure out.
My 2018 has the factory Goodyear tires and they are very noisy on concrete but are quiet on asphalt too.

Gmcdean

Reaction score
I took mine to a shop for same thing. I have new tires and seems they just make that much noise.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts