2018 Equinox Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsfb6pts

Reaction score
Anyone else here with 2018 Equinox ?
Voice recognition is not working ,has been at the dealer 3 times .Now they have had it for 4 days and No one has a clue

Last edited:

gpart

Reaction score
Anyone else here with 2018 Equinox ?
Voice recognition is not working ,has been at the dealer 3 times .Now they have had it for 4 days and No one has a clue

I just purchased mine on April 14th. All of my electronics / Siri integration seems to be working as intended.

Initially, I had Siri turned off on my iPhone (6s) for the past few months (because it would suddenly respond when I was talking on the landline in my office). During the new vehicle demo by my sales consultant, I turned it on and tried it in the vehicle and it didn't respond to my commands via the MyLink. Once I got home later that evening, I then shut off my phone and restarted it and it has worked perfectly, since. It responds almost immediately when I say "hey, Siri" and am able to send texts and dial phone numbers via voice commands.

Specifically, how is your phone / MyLink responding / not doing what it should?

jsfb6pts

Reaction score
On your Onstar hands free phone ,can you store a phone number ,by pressing the hands free button ,then saying " Store " to save the name tag ? When I do I get the weather .
I ask for "Virtual Adviser " I get Traffic .Thanks again for your help

gpart

Reaction score
On your Onstar hands free phone, can you store a phone number, by pressing the hands free button, then saying " Store " to save the name tag? When I do I get the weather.

I ask for "Virtual Adviser " I get Traffic.

Thanks again for your help

This sounds QUITE bizarre!!! I'm assuming you've spoken with OnStar about this.

Here is a link for the Generation 9 OnStar user manual (this is the most recent guide for the 2018 Equinox).

Check beginning on page 16:
https://www.onstarfulfillment.com/pdf/EN_OnStar_Gen9_Manual.pdf

One CANNOT store a "name tag" for the phone system that begins with a (phone)number. It MUST be a name.

Also check this OnStar page for "Hands-Free Calling doesn’t respond"
https://www.onstar.com/us/en/help-support/hands-free-calling/not-responding.html

Please keep us posted.

jsfb6pts

Reaction score
Are you able to store a number ?
My car has been at the dealer 4 times ,18 days ,15 consecutive on the last visit .

gpart

Reaction score
That manual is 6 years old ,thanks for trying ( copied from the last page )
901g
July 2011
Part # 25945307

I spoke with an OnStar rep On Friday inquiring whether the Gen 9 manual is the most recent one and was told "yes" (although she initially said "10" was the newest but I told her the Genia 10 manual isn't on the website).

I hope your issue is resolved quickly. Please update us regarding any progress / outcome.

Last edited:

jsfb6pts

Reaction score
I spoke with an OnStar rep On Friday inquiring whether the Gen 9 manual is the most recent one and was told "yes" (although she initially said "10" was the newest but I told her the Genia 10 manual isn't on the website).

I hope your issue is resolved quickly. Please update us regarding any progress / outcome.

I also confirmed that they switched Gen 10 with the 4 g LTE . Still waiting to hear what is in the 18's

jsfb6pts

Reaction score

Have you tried to program your hands free phone ?

gpart

Reaction score
I pressed the "Phone" button yesterday morning just to try it out and when I said "virtual advisor" I got "traffic" (or it might've been "weather", I don't recall). I then hung up and pressed the "Phone" button again and said "store" and it gave me "weather" (or it might've been "traffic", I don't recall).

I called OnStar when I got to the office and they said I should call them from my cellphone when I'm in my car and ask for their "Customer Tier"(?) dept. so they can potentially troubleshoot this with me.

Not sure weather this is expected from the "new & revised" OnStar services but I guess I'll find out.

In the meantime, it appears the Gen. 10 OnStar / 2018 Chevrolet MyLink Infotainment manual is only available when you buy a new 2018 vehicle as it's not available in any format directly from OnStar - per the customer service agent.

jsfb6pts

Reaction score
Thanks ,sounds like yours is doing the same . I received no onstar information at all .I also called Chevrolet yesterday to complain about it being out of service for 18 days .
I also pointed out ,that in the 2018 Equinox owners manual ,on page 404 ,it states to make a call say the nametag or number . How can you say a nametag when you cant store one ?
They are supposed to call me back in 24-48 hours . I will update when I get one .Thanks again for trying

gpart

Reaction score
Thanks ,sounds like yours is doing the same . I received no onstar information at all .I also called Chevrolet yesterday to complain about it being out of service for 18 days .
I also pointed out ,that in the 2018 Equinox owners manual ,on page 404 ,it states to make a call say the nametag or number . How can you say a nametag when you cant store one ?
They are supposed to call me back in 24-48 hours . I will update when I get one .Thanks again for trying

Please do keep us updated.

I will call OnStar's "Customer Tier" when I get home this evening while I'm parked in the driveway to see if we can determine whether the "Virtual Advisor" is functioning as intended.

I will report my findings either later this weekend or early next week.

jsfb6pts

Reaction score
At 11 am today their 48 hour call back time is up .Not sure if I will give them longer or not .
I was told the other day ,No More Storing phone numbers or destinations ,and virtual adviser (as we know it )no long exists

gpart

Reaction score
That is so weird! I'll call them this evening, at worst, I'll be able to confirm the information they imparted to you.

gpart

Reaction score
Saturday morning I got around to calling OnStar technical support (customer tier) from my cell while I was in the Equinox and we went through a host of commands by pressing the phone (virtual advisor) button. It will recognize "dial", "weather" and "traffic" but when saying "virtual advisor" or "store" it gives us traffic or weather.

They've elevated this to their programming dept. and I'm hoping to hear back from them within the next couple of weeks. I'll report back after they contact me or if I need to nudge them.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.