2018 Equinox auto stop/start not kicking in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

18nox

Reaction score
Yup... when my Wife drives I notice the stop/start feature the most.... to the point that I find myself obsessing about it and it bugs the hell out of me. I've tried every available configuration (manual shifting, playing with the climate control, begging the dealer for the fix) and there is no other way around it. Maybe someone will figure out a hack through the OBD2 port...

18nox

Reaction score
Auto stop/start

I agree, total pain in the ass. How dare we commoners try to act like we know whats best for our own driving habits. I think manufacturers of all flavors are moving in this direction as a window sticker/EPA MPG claim gimmick. I don't know if it's necessarily "BAD" for the trans, but I don't see why. Just remember to bump the plus sign up to your desired gear limit each time you use the L mode. I've already forgotten to and it just screams in L1... WHOOPS!

Thanks for the great video and work around!

My wife just got her 2018 Equinox LT 1.5 6 speed Monday, so I haven't driven it much. But she already commented that she didn't like the auto stop. Assuming your work around will work the same on ours, can/should it be driven like that at all times? We live in a very small, rural town. We can drive out of town after only 1 stop. Seems we could hit the road with it in "D", then shift into "L6" once arriving in the city at the first stop. Sound good?

OlderNDirt

Reaction score
We took our monthly journey to the city (Omaha) yesterday with me doing the driving. With all the road construction (and believe me we hit most of them it seemed), there was a lot of stop-and-go driving giving it a good test. In all honesty, for the most part I didn't even realize or think about the stop/start feature. But when I did notice, it seemed that if the transition from brake to accelerator was slightly delayed, it seemed much smoother and less noticeable.....it started before depressing the accelerator making it more seamless. At my age, that slower transition comes much easier and regular! It worked so well that I didn't even think about shifting into "Lx" gears. But then again, maybe that was the effect of the poor memory? :)

Off topic, but what I did notice was the blind spot warning. With the turn signal on, the warning in the mirror flashes rather then coming on steady. NO, I wasn't changing lanes almost causing an accident! I was stopped/waiting in the right lane of a two lane left turn intersection.

JesChexin

Reaction score
New 2018 Equinox Premiere owner here. I'm having an issue where my autostop doesn't stay engaged/keep the engine off the whole time I'm at a stop and my foot is on the break pedal. I even tried turning the AC system completely off. But the engine kicks back on after 20-30 seconds sometimes. I drive in a lot of city traffic and would like the engine to stay off until my foot is off the break pedal and I'm moving again. Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited:

mikezak

Reaction score
Picked up my vehicle yesterday. The Auto Stop / Start worked last night on my way home from the Dealership. This morning it was not kicking in,...frustrating. As I see no one has posted for awhile has this been fixed? Is there a Technical Bulletin on this? My thanks in advance

MapleBacon

Reaction score
I always just pop mine into neutral when rolling up to a stop light. As soon as I come to a stop, i pop it back. Its almost second nature now.

sir_topham_hatt29

Reaction score
Well here it is June, 2019 and I’m just noticing that the auto stop doesn’t activate as much, if at all like it did when I first bought my 2018 last July. Any thought as to why this is before I call my dealer? I hope it’s nothing major. Everything else has been good. Thanks,

-Michael

victorvdc

Reaction score
The battery has something to do with it.
I ran the battery low in service mode syncing my TPSM and the auto start stop stopped working for a few weeks.
I disconnect the battery for a few minutes and after reconnecting it it started to work fine again immediately.
(Actually contrary to what the manual said)

Tried dropping the battery in service mode again and it didn't happen . So maybe it was just a Gremlin hiding in my car for a few weeks.

Seriously .... I thing there is something going on in the Stop-Start system they aren't telling is.

victorvdc

Reaction score
I was getting frustrated with the Start-Stop system and it inconsistencies so I figured out a small modification to permanently disable it. All the information of how the Auto Stop-Start system works is in the GM Service manual. It only takes a bit of tweaking to disable it.

The circuit you need to make consist of one resistor and one diode. Using thin Teflon wires, it can be connected to the car without splicing.

How it works. If the hood of the car is open when you start it the Auto Stop-Start is disabled even if you close the hood with the car still running. My circuit feeds the starter voltage to the hood switch to do this. The 680 ohm resistor provides the correct voltage and the diode is just to protect from the starter coil flyback spike.

I have only tested it for a few days and so far, no problems or error codes. Remote start works fine.

Attached are the circuits and some pictures of my temporary installation. Anyone is free to try this and post feedback. You are on your own to figure out how to do this for now, but I have a few pictures to help.

Connections are made by loosely inserting the thin wire in the connector socket then reconnecting. The relay is K05 pin 87. You may need to wrap the thin wire around its larger connector. The red connector you see is just temporary for testing it.

This modification is simple and should not damage your vehicle. However, this is just a recommendation and the responsibility of changes you make to your vehicle are yours. It’s now public knowledge, I have no plans to sell this idea due to possible legal complications.

Attachments

• 12 DSC_0023.jpg
    12 DSC_0023.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 12 DSC_0024.jpg
    12 DSC_0024.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 50 Image (3).jpg
    50 Image (3).jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 50 Image (4).jpg
    50 Image (4).jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 18

Miguel

Reaction score
Hello:
Trying to give my experience and maybe search for the solution:
My Start/Stop was working well. I like it.
I believe that upon installing the dashcam it stopped working.
I've used a new OBD plug to use as the power source. Since then, the Start/Stop never engaged again.
I've unplugged the power supply. But it never worked again. No dash lights, no error codes.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Here's a picture of the adaptor used:

IMG-20230626-WA0021.jpg

davem

Reaction score
I own a 2022 Equinox Premier, with the Stop/Start diasble button in the dash. I asked the dealer to permanently diasble start/stop and they said it is not possible.

For those of you that want to permanently disable this feature, it is possible. A simple to install $21 cable available on Amazon. Works great, no problems at all, no error codes.

Check it out here:
Auto Stop/Start Eliminator Cable

Miguel

Reaction score
Update on my side:
As I read on this forum, I disconnected the battery - Both Negative and Positive - for 30 minutes.
Reconnected, went for a drive and immediately the Start/Stop feature is back on!

Miguel

Reaction score
Second update:

The start/stop system doesn't work after the car is turned off again.
What I've found after a few more tests is that indeed it works after a battery reset but it always goes out after a few hours of the can being turned off.

Miguel

Reaction score
Final Update:
I ended up hardwiring to the fuse box. The solution is using the Fuse for the 12V in the center console as it's the only one that is ACC/not constant power.
After that the camera and Start/Stop works.

20230923_091818.jpg

Members online

Latest posts