2018 Equinox auto stop/start not kicking in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jberry3721

Reaction score
So I've had my new 2018 Equinox LT for about a month now and I've noticed the stop/start system kicking in so much that it's almost annoying. Well, annoying because this is my first vehicle with this feature. Over the last four or five days I've noticed that it's not turning off anymore at stops. According to the conditions listed in the manual, it should be working.

Is it possible I turned if off somehow? I couldn't find a way.

Testing condition:
78F morning temp
25Min drive to work
AC off
Coolant temp at 190F

Any suggestions?

jsfb6pts

Reaction score
Sounds like a trip to your dealer is in order .

I need to take mine in also , I have a 2016 Malibu with the start / stop .Very smooth .The Equinox is rough on the restart .

gpart

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your 18 Equinox!

Mine seems to run the way it's intended to. Most times it shuts the engine down when I come to a full stop, other times it doesn't, and I ALWAYS run with the A/C on. Startup seems to be quite smooth but, since this is my first start/stop, I have nothing to compare it to except the first 18 'Nox I tested.

Please let us know if you took it in to your dealer and what the outcome was.

jberry3721

Reaction score
I was hoping I wouldn't have to take it in. I'm going to feel like a fool if it something simple I did. Everything else about the car seems normal. If it was messing up you'd think the car would throw a check engine light.

For the most part, when it worked, it worked well. Started quickly and from the break to gas was a smooth transition. I've had an instance where I would barely come to a stop at a yield sign, the engine turned off as I was about to press the gas.

Thanks, if it doesnt start working again in next couple days I'll give them a call.

jsfb6pts

Reaction score
I just went through my settings ,I found no options to enable / disable the stop /start function . There is an "extended hill start " option .
I have one of the 1st ones built ,so it is possible that the vehicle software may have been updated . I want to check on that myself for other reasons

jberry3721

Reaction score
So I figured out what was wrong, it was something I did. I have a hardwire kit for my dashcam and everything was working correctly for weeks until I noticed my cam stopped turning on when I started the car. This just happened to be at the same time auto stop quit working. Looks like the wires I added to the F42(always on) radio fuse and the CB2(only on when car is on) Auxiliary power fuse, mad the car mad. I removed then replace the cam wires and the dashcam worked again but not auto stop. Removing the hardware kit completely fixed the auto stop system. I'm back to using a 12v adapter until I find safer power connection.

18nox

Reaction score
I'm also curious about how to disable the auto stop/start feature. I found this info in my owners manual... Certainly not exactly the on/off option I was hoping for.... but still allows for it.

Auto Engine Stop/Start:

When the brakes are applied and
the vehicle is at a complete stop,
the engine may turn off. When the
brake pedal is released or the
accelerator pedal is pressed, the
engine may restart.

Auto Stop may be deactivated if:

-A minimum vehicle speed is not
reached.

-The engine or transmission is
not at the required operating
temperature.

-The outside temperature is not
in the required operating range,
typically between −10 °C (14 °F)
and 50 °C (122 °F).

-The shift lever is in any gear
other than D (Drive).

-The battery has been recently
disconnected.

-The battery charge is low.

-The interior comfort level has not
reached the required level for
the climate control system or
defog settings. See Dual
Automatic Climate Control
System 0 190.

-The Auto Stop time is greater
than two minutes.

:favorites13:
18nox

2018 Pepperdust Metallic Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD
-Ecotec LTG Intercooled 2.0T SIDI, VVT
-GM Hydra-Matic 9T50 9-Speed Auto w/ Driver Shift Control (STD)

Last edited:

gpart

Reaction score
Popping it into "Neutral" while you're still rolling every time you "may" come to a complete stop in order to avoid the engine doing what it's supposed to do seems a bit far out. If it were a Camaro or Chevy (the "SS" variety), I could probably see the argument. But, on an EQUINOX?!
(where exactly does one need to get to, that one second sooner?).

gpart

Reaction score
Mine wont work with the Air on .

Mine does. It just shuts the air off for a bit and then after a couple of minutes (maybe 2 or 3?), the engine fires back up again. I suppose it just depends on the "operating conditions" such as engine temp and maybe cabin temp.

Kwm

Reaction score
Disabling 2018 equinox start/stop

Let's say you're stuck in a long line of standstill or slow moving cars. If you do not want the car to automatically stop and start every time you move 15 feet , Just pull the shifter into L. Now push the plus button a couple of times so that when it moves it doesn't just stay in L1 but uses L3 or L2 or whatever you pick. Now the engine will not stop and start it will just stay running like normal. Works great.

Hope this helps everyone.

droy223

Reaction score
Thanks for this video. Not having a way to turn the auto stop feature off is making me change my mind about buying this vehicle.

If I hate it that much, are there cons to driving in L9 all the time?

OlderNDirt

Reaction score
Here's a video I made showing how to avoid the auto stop/start feature in my 2018 Equinox...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-0qXbn2CRpIeGVpTEk3ZE92Ymc/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for the great video and work around!

My wife just got her 2018 Equinox LT 1.5 6 speed Monday, so I haven't driven it much. But she already commented that she didn't like the auto stop. Assuming your work around will work the same on ours, can/should it be driven like that at all times? We live in a very small, rural town. We can drive out of town after only 1 stop. Seems we could hit the road with it in "D", then shift into "L6" once arriving in the city at the first stop. Sound good?

red70judge

Reaction score
Start/Stop feature works great on our diesel and the tack points to
the Auto Stop as advertised. Good advice to put in L and toggle up to 2 or 3 if
in heavy stop and go traffic.
Only time will tell if it is a good feature in the diesel as the starter works
harder with the increased compression.

TessaNorth

Reaction score
Similar issues

I’ve noticed that there are days where it kicks in, and some days it doesn’t kick in at all. I have noticed that it does/doesn’t kick in depesning in how far the brake pedal is pressed in.

I’m quite disappointed that you are unable to turn this feature on/off. The dealer says it a feature available only in the newer models. Mines a 2018, not sure how much newer you can get? 🤷*♀️

Members online