2013 Equinox Interior Console/Infotainment Auto-Dim Lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jakebebber

Reaction score
Hello. I have a 2013 Chevy Equinox LTZ. One thing I notice (that I do not like) is that the instrument panel (speedometer, infotainment,fuel gauge, etc) has some sort of "auto dim" function. Depending on the time of day, it either becomes brighter or dimmer. Is there a way to disable that function so that the instrument panel is either always bright or always dim? It is easier for me to see the brighter lighting.

Thanks for the assistance!

Jake in Maryland

LurpyGeek

Reaction score
As with most vehicles, when the sensor detects that it is dark, it automatically turns on your headlights and dims your interior lights / screens to preserve your sight in the dark. When the sensor detects daylight, it turns off your headlights and brightens your interior dash to make it visible in ambient light. This is probably what you are seeing.

My frustration with it is that when I start my car in the garage, it detects dark and reacts as it is programmed to. This means as I back out of the garage, my back up camera is useless because it takes a few seconds of light to get it to switch to that configuration and make the display visible.

jakebebber

Reaction score
Thanks LurpyGeek. While I understand that the manufacturer may want to have automatic detection, some sort of "manual override" should be available. It is frustrating on an overcast day when the interior lighting switches to "night mode" and is very hard to see.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
Thanks LurpyGeek. While I understand that the manufacturer may want to have automatic detection, some sort of "manual override" should be available. It is frustrating on an overcast day when the interior lighting switches to "night mode" and is very hard to see.

There is a knob in the left side of the steering wheel that you can adjust the brightness to the lighted features of the interior.

I don't know if this information will be of any help to you. I don't have Mylink but there may be a settings function that allows you to control how it automatically changes.

Members online