2018 Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ArgusMcJohnsten

Reaction score
I got a 2018 LT, Confidence and Convenience a few days ago. Everything is great, except:
The radio is way too bright at night. It doesn't dim at all when the headlights come on, and the dimmer knob has no effect on it at all. I can't find anything in the settings either. The manual, probably just a generic picture, shows lighting and climate buttons on the home screen, but I don't have either of those.

Not an issue, just a question, is the cruise control supposed to be always on? As soon as I start up the car, the light is on, but grayed out.

Minor gripe, more about android than the car. I wish I could keep bluetooth streaming going through an unsupported app and have maps going on the display through Android Auto.

I think that's all for now.

jsfb6pts

Reaction score
I have the 8" radio I'll check the dimmer later .
My cruise on/off button is on the left side of the steering wheel .
I dont care for the andriod auto ,because you Have to use a cable . I have tried it ,but dont use it

gpart

Reaction score
The dimmer knob to the left of the steering wheel on the lower dash has very little effect on the overall radio display, from what I've perceived by playing around with everything.

From memory, you'll need to select "Settings" on the touch screen Home Page, then select the sub-menu for either "Display" or "Vehicle". That contains a setting which will alter the display lighting. When you find the "Display" menu, select "Auto" so that the MyLink system will automatically adjust the lighting to what is best given the conditions it perceives.

Please keep us posted on whether you're able to solve this issue or need further assistance.

ArgusMcJohnsten

Reaction score
I'll look around again in the menus, but I couldn't find anything that said display. I may stop back in the dealer since I have to drive by there later anyway.

ArgusMcJohnsten

Reaction score
Found out everything is as it should. The sensor is more sensitive than I thought it would be, and I didn't realize that controlled the dash brightness even if the headlights are turned on. Once we played with that, even at the dimmest it seems bright to me.
The other ones at the lot don't have an option in the display menu either.

gpart

Reaction score
Glad you were at least able to get to the bottom of it, even if it isn't to your utmost satisfaction (yet).

jsfb6pts

Reaction score
My dimmer will black out the radio ( and the dash ) .When the lights are on .If the lights are off ,it has no effect on anything

gpart

Reaction score
I'll need to try that out. Haven't thought of that since I don't drive at night very often.

duke94

Reaction score
Has anyone figured out how to dim the display? I can't believe GM Engineers let this go into production. My 2015 would dim with the dash lights.

gpart

Reaction score
Has anyone figured out how to dim the display? I can't believe GM Engineers let this go into production. My 2015 would dim with the dash lights.

The instrument panel dimmer switch is located on the lower left dash next to the steering wheel and should be the left outermost knob next to the headlight knob which is the center one and the right most knob for the fog lights (p. 157).

The 7" or 8" display can be set to either "day", "night" or "auto" display or can be re-calibrated via the "vehicle settings" menu (p.150). I believe the engine may need to be running to access / change some of the vehicle settings.

My IP / Nav display seems to work fine. Sometimes the Nav display will adjust the lighting as I'm driving due to outside lighting conditions.

If neither of those work, a dealer service visit may be in order.

Aheckm

Reaction score
2018 Equinox Display Brightness

I just purchased a 2018 Equinox and have tried the suggestions in this forum without much luck! Any new findings? I do not have a display option in settings either and cannot believe there is no way to turn the brightness down.

kastner03

Reaction score
my dimmer next to the headlight switch dims my radio display maybe something is wrong with yours ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aheckm

Reaction score
I did try that and it only adjusted the speedometer display and not the 7 inch radio display area.

kastner03

Reaction score
my 8” dims to the point that i almost cant see it and the 7” in the loaner i had overnight last week did the same. i hate bright interior lights so dimming them down is the first thing i do. i would venture to say yours isn’t working properly [emoji107][emoji107]

Lee

Reaction score
my dimmer next to the headlight switch dims my radio display maybe something is wrong with yours ?

I tried mine and the dimmer switch will dim the 8" radio display on my 2018.

gpart

Reaction score
BTW, ONE IMPORTANT PIECE OF INFORMATION:

THE DIMMER SWITCH IS A SPRING-LOADED PUSH-BUTTON.

It needs to be (gently) pushed in and it then pops out a little so it can be turned to adjust the lighting.

When done adjusting the IP (instrument panel) lights, either leave the button in the "out" position or push it back in to "lock" the setting in place.

If that still doesn't adjust the lighting on the IP, then I'd suggest a trip to the dealer.

Last edited:

Tatumd78

Reaction score
2018 Equinox displays are basic 7in, 7in with nav, 8in. The basic 7in display does not have a setting to adjust the brightness. This is a safety issue and should be addressed. At the dimmest setting the control panel is difficult to see yet the infotainment display is still too bright.

techpro

Reaction score
Just purchased a LT with C&C option. The 7" display as already mentioned is way too bright at night and does not dim. Discussed with the dealer and he confirmed this is correct. Turn off the display is only solution. Maybe GM will do a software update if enough people complain.

Members online