2012 Equinox radio buttons, a/c dial..etc not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryan1522

Reaction score
All of a sudden I can no longer use any radio controls on the dash unit (steering buttons work) Also the buttons for defrost, a/c..etc don't work. The hazard button works and lock/unlock. The radio works and lights up but the buttons that don't work don't light up. Checked all fuses and they seem ok. Is there some relay I should check????

Sportsfan

Reaction score
I just experienced the same problem. Took the vehicle to my mechanic and he has not idea what is wrong with it. Where you able to fix yours?

ryan1522

Reaction score
I just experienced the same problem. Took the vehicle to my mechanic and he has not idea what is wrong with it. Where you able to fix yours?

I called GM and they had me bring it into the dealer. The dealer took it (head counsel) cleaned it and reinstalled. At this time it is working fine. They are not sure what happened. A few weeks after one time when I started the car up the volume shot up quickly and I turned it down. Since then nothing has happened. It is possible this is a known glitch with GM.

Svard75

Reaction score
The connector can often become corroded if there are higher levels of humidity. I usually address any strange intermittent problems by removing the component connectors, viewing the pins and cleaning with a tooth brush then apply dielectric grease to the surrounding rubber seal and plug back in. Don't get too much grease on the connectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tiffer2u

Reaction score
I have the same EXACT problem and I have taken to two places and they are at a loss like myself... I have an appointment with a dealership on Monday... Was it an expensive fix? I pray not since it's just right after Christmas... So happy I found this thread!

Masterkevj

Reaction score
Did any of you notice if this happened after using the remote start? I'm thinking maybe it doesn't "wake" the system up when you put the key in as all those controls are disabled while the remote start is activated. It did, however, connect my Bluetooth even though all the radio and hvac controls were inoperable. But when I went to use my phone the Bluetooth activated and suddenly it "woke up" and everything started working fine. Just my 2 cents, any thoughts?

Cash954

Reaction score
Did the dealer charge you to fix the problem? I have a 2015 equinox

Kcdreamz

Reaction score
All of a sudden I can no longer use any radio controls on the dash unit (steering buttons work) Also the buttons for defrost, a/c..etc don't work. The hazard button works and lock/unlock. The radio works and lights up but the buttons that don't work don't light up. Checked all fuses and they seem ok. Is there some relay I should check????
Do you get this problem firgured out?? I have a 2015 with the same problems..

01teaser

Reaction score
I have a 2013 Equinox and I haven't had any problems with it until now.
My Infotainment system suddenly quit working. No radio, no control of any of the buttons on the console. My AC/heater fan is not working and I am unable to change any settings. NOTHING!!
I am not a auto mechanic but I figured I would start at the easiest fix, fuses. So far, I got my radio playing the station it was on went everything stopped but I can not turn the volume up or down, I can not change the station, I can't even turn the radio off!!!
I've noticed others having the same problems. Has anyone found the problem or solution? Any directions to fix this would greatly be appreciated.

Reaction score
I have a 2013 Equinox and I haven't had any problems with it until now.
My Infotainment system suddenly quit working. No radio, no control of any of the buttons on the console. My AC/heater fan is not working and I am unable to change any settings. NOTHING!!
I am not a auto mechanic but I figured I would start at the easiest fix, fuses. So far, I got my radio playing the station it was on went everything stopped but I can not turn the volume up or down, I can not change the station, I can't even turn the radio off!!!
I've noticed others having the same problems. Has anyone found the problem or solution? Any directions to fix this would greatly be appreciated.
I too, have a 2013 Equionx LT. I hadn't been having any problems with the screen, up until this week. Sunday evening, I noticed my dash lights & the Mylink screen were dimmer than normal driving home. I left for work Monday & while backing out of the driveway, the camera was dim and at the bottom it said something like "check your surrounds." Today, halfway to work, it brightened up. On the way home, it dimmed down. My heat is still working. I haven't used my a/c much, but someone did make a comment that the fan motor of the a/c sounded loud. I don't know where to begin. It's out of warranty.
What I'm not understanding, is that if there are so many issues/problems going on like this, why doesn't GM put a recall out? Because they don't know how to fix it? And it just doesn't seem to be one specific year. Maybe we need to start complaining to GM.

IM2PCHEE4U

Reaction score
My 2012 just did the same thing. My fiancé got the screen to unfreeze and got the buttons to work again BY starting the car WITH the remote. Then everything went back to normal. Don't know why it "froze" in the first place though.

TiffTuck

Reaction score
Did anyone find a solution? My 2012 equinox radio/screen has no sound. You can't hear the blinker or seat belt indicator. My air condition controls works fine. I've checked fuses under the hood and in the vehicle, disconnected the battery and reconnected, unhooked the radio and plugged it back in. Heeeeeelp

Karenea

Reaction score
Do you get this problem firgured out?? I have a 2015 with the same problems..
FYI....We have a 2014 equinox that suddenly the radio controls and the heater/AC controls stopped working it was still under warranty so we took it into the dealer thinking it was electrical. They ran codes and didn't find anything, uninstalled the battery and reconnected it and everything was working properly.

Madmike

Reaction score
2013 equanox heat/AC radio cluster not working

I had this problem this morning with my equinox. Checked the fuses and connectors. All were good. disengaged bluetooth disconnected posative battery terminal for a couple of minuites and reconnected it. That reset the computer and fixed it immediatly.

jpmckinney

Reaction score
2015 Equinox radio/ac controls not working

I had the same thing happen, the radio controls and ac/heat controls went out but controls on steering wheel functioned. I have read that this is a computer issue. I disconnected the positive battery cable for 5 minutes and then reconnected it. This reset the computer and solved my problem.

Starfire

Reaction score
I have a letter from GM regarding my 2012 Chevy Cruze that may be of interest to this thread:

"This letter is intended to make you aware that dome 2012 model year Chevrolet Cruze wehicles may have a condition where the negative battery cable terminal clamp may have insufficient crimp at the battery negative terminal. Over time the interal resistance increases and vehicle electrical systems do not receive adequate power.

With this condition, the following effects are possible: the Radio/HVAC Display may turn off and on; the ABS, STS, Service Stabilitrac and Steering vehicle messages may come on and off; the turn signal sound may not be heard; "Battery Saver Active" and "Service Steering" may display in the DIC; and the interior and exterior lighting may flicker. Power steering assist may also be lost."

All because the negative terminal at the battery is not tightly connected.

GrampsinErie

Reaction score
Radio not working

My 2015 Equinox radio would stop working and screen went blank intermittently, then it would come back on. Controls for radio also responded intermittently. One solution suggested on this forum was to disconnect the battery for several seconds and reconnect it, so I tried doing that and it worked. Now radio and controls working perfectly. I did need to consult a video on the internet to find out how to get to the battery to disconnect it. I am disappointed that a vehicle less than 3 years old had a problem like this.

GrampsinErie

Reaction score
The radio in my 2015 Equinox would suddenly stop working and the screen went blank and after a short time it would come on again and then go off again. One solution suggested on this forum was to disconnect the battery for several seconds then reconnect it, so I did this and it worked. I am glad that I didn't need to pay for this repair. I did need to consult the internet to find out how to get to the battery connections. It is disappointing that this happened to a car less than 3 years old.

Bluefury

Reaction score
Just today my 2012 Equinox center console didn't respond to radio controls, or A/C controls. I googled the problem, found this forum, read the post about disconnecting the positive terminal for 5 min, went out and did it, and.....
It worked! Great crowd sourcing everyone, even if it took years for some to get the solution. Thanks to all those before me. Cheers!

Members online

No members online now.