2012 Blend Door Actuator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AngieLynn

Reaction score
My 2012's heat went out and it was making a knocking/clicking noise behind the glove box. Easy to track down that it was the blend door actuator. Ordered one online and went to replace it today but when I went to slide the new one in the whole gear assembly fell into a dark abyss. I cannot find a video on what that is called or how to go about getting it back out. Does anyone have any advice?

mrobinson

Reaction score
My 2012's heat went out and it was making a knocking/clicking noise behind the glove box. Easy to track down that it was the blend door actuator. Ordered one online and went to replace it today but when I went to slide the new one in the whole gear assembly fell into a dark abyss. I cannot find a video on what that is called or how to go about getting it back out. Does anyone have any advice?
Hi, I have replaced the blend door actuator on my 2011 Equinox, and I am trying understand what you mean by the "gear assembly fell into a dark abyss". Did you remove the instrument panel insulator panel, if you didn't it could be laying on it out of your sight. I am sending you the Chevy Equinox Service Manual site that may help you, it references replacing the replacing actuators, it also suggests that you disconnect the negative battery cable before you start this process so that after you install the actuator it will be recalibrated when you reconnect the negative battery cable.

I hope this helps.

AngieLynn

Reaction score
Thanks! I appreciate the links.

There is something that grabs the actuator when you slide the new one in. That piece wasn't attached to the air box like it should have been, so the new actuator pushed it back into the airbox.

We ended up taking it to the shop and when we picked it back up yesterday he showed me the broken piece - it was an internal piece that was broken. Unfortunately I don't have a good relationship with the mechanic so I left without asking any questions as to how it could have gotten broken since it was on the insde of the air box. Nonetheless, it wasn't (like he tried to make me believe) that I was the one who broke it.

To repair it, he removed the air box, replaced the broken clip, and reassembled.

mrobinson

Reaction score
Thanks! I appreciate the links.

There is something that grabs the actuator when you slide the new one in. That piece wasn't attached to the air box like it should have been, so the new actuator pushed it back into the airbox.

We ended up taking it to the shop and when we picked it back up yesterday he showed me the broken piece - it was an internal piece that was broken. Unfortunately I don't have a good relationship with the mechanic so I left without asking any questions as to how it could have gotten broken since it was on the insde of the air box. Nonetheless, it wasn't (like he tried to make me believe) that I was the one who broke it.

To repair it, he removed the air box, replaced the broken clip, and reassembled.
I understand your frustration, it difficult to find a mechanic that is knowledgeable and that you can trust.

Members online