2011 Equinox Burning Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

faromic

Reaction score
Hey there, new to the forum. I have a 2011 Equinox 4 cyl and have been having issues with oil loss since I got the car. I change the oil myself and use Mobil 1 synthetic 5W-30. I noticed some oil on the pan around the oil drain pan a while back so I knew something was up. But the last year or so I have to keep adding oil.

Last week, I could hear how rough and loud the engine was running. I knew something wasn't right so I pulled over and checked the oil level. The dipstick was dry so I filled it with 3 quarts which got the oil level to the dipstick. The check engine light went on, so I took it in this week.
They found several things, a leaking torque converter and leaking A/C condenser. both covered under warranty. I have 58k miles.

The main reason I brought it in was because of the oil level, and they're telling me there is no oil leak and that it's normal for their cars to burn 1 quart per 2,000 miles. That seems completely ridiculous to me because if you change oil at 5 or 6k miles with synthetic, what's the point of draining. I might as well just keep filling it and change filter. I've had 4 cars and none have burned oil like this. The service rep keeps insisting that it's normal and I know it's not.

I'm just frustrated with this car in general. When I turn it on and switch to R or D, the shift is so rough.

My friend has a terrain with 35k miles and just had the trans rebuilt. I'm thinking of trading this car in.
Thanks

TheDarkKnightKnox

Reaction score
I can't speak for the 4Cyl, however i have a 2012 with the 3.0L 6Cyl (47K miles). I run Mobil 1 synthetic 15,000 mile. I do have to add about 3/4 of a quart halfway between oil changes. I've had to do this with all 5 GM vehicles that i have owned.

One Quart every 2k miles seems a little wonky to me. I would highly recommend to another GM dealer or Contact GM customer care if you want to pursue additional answers.

mark44004

Reaction score
We bought this Equinox new with 218 miles on it in 2011. I've always put in Mobil 1 or Valvoline synthetic oil from day one. This is my wife's work vehicle and she'll put almost 3000 miles on it a month.

When I've done the oil changes in the latter part of 2014, I've noticed only about 3 quarts coming out of it. We took it to our Chevy dealership and they wanted to monitor the oil levels over a period of time and check it every 1000 miles. We did for a while but they found nothing so we stopped going. The last oil change was low. Because we didn't continue coming every 1000 miles (which would have been every 3 or 4 days) they can't do anything for us. But at least 1 1/2 quarts are going somewhere. Today we took it in for a check engine light and had them check the oil level as well because of excessive ticking. Again, when the engine says time for an oil change, we do it. Today I am told that the piston rings need replacing and that a valve does too. This car has 107000 miles on it and no way should this be happening already. I have seen a TSB about a pcv valve that needs to be replaced in connection to the oil issue.

If GM doesn't take care of this, this will be the last Chevy we buy. We bought a new Chevy Cobal in 2006 and the infamous engine shutdown occurred way before it hit the news. I complained about that one and everyone thought I was stupid.

I just called my wife who is very upset because the piston ring replacement to rectify the oil consumption is going to cost $2900. Ridiculous.

I will be contacting GM directly.

Members online

No members online now.