2006 Equinox Change Alternator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

refderek

Reaction score
2006 Equinox 3.4 V-6
Alternator is noisy and defective

My understanding is that there are 3 different versions of alternators for this model and that the passenger side motor mount has to be removed and the engine lifted some and forward to get enough room to change the alternator.

What is a reasonable and fair price for this job - parts and labor?

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
If you are standing in front of the car the alternator is on the back side of the motor on the left side. Shouldn't need to lift the engine up, I don't see what that would accomplish. It should just slide out of place.

Are you confused with the Serpentine belt? You have to remove the air filter/box and remove the engine mount and lift it to change the serpentine belt. It should only be a hour in labor and with part markup I would bet they would charge $250-300 on the fair side.

I would be doing it myself though.

prheaume

Reaction score
Don't need to remove the engine support that is standing in the middle of the serpentine, push the bender to remove the serpentine from the alternator pulley and remove the alternator. The engine support needs to be removed only if you replace the serpentine.

Reaction score
My mom's 2008 alternator went out, making serious noise. The dealer changed it out under warranty. It was still in the power train warranty and not sure how they made the alternator part of that but they did and she wasn't asking any questions.

Members online

No members online now.