'05 vibrating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cljones

Reaction score
I have an '05 with just over 107k. When i get above 50mph, it starts vibrating. It is a constant vibration that i can feel in my center console specifically. Steering wheel doesn't shake, so it's just an aggravating vibration. I've recently changed tires, had bushings replaced, new brakes, etc... Trying to pin point the problem, but i'm stuck. Any advice?

tdutzi

Reaction score
Drive Shaft / Center Bearing

I have the same problem on my 2006 Equinox. Took it to my mechanic who verified it is the center bearing / drive shaft.

I priced out new driveshafts. Cheapest I could find was 600. They come with the center bearing pressed onto the shaft.

thuzmund

Reaction score
Yes, do check that center driveshaft bearing. It tends to wear out around your EQ's age. My 06 went out last year. They are cheap to buy but you need a machine press to do the job. For me it meant I had to add 75 bucks to the job to pay the shop, your area shop rate may differ. It was also a good time to replace the u-joint since I had it all apart, so it was a couple hundred with a hired mechanic helper. But it made a big difference!

If that bearing is still good, vibrations that come at a certain speed, especially if they disappear at another speed, are often wheel balance-related. Those wheel balancing weights can pop off, either on rough roads or seemingly on their own.

ZIGGZ 2012 Equinox

Reaction score
I agree

Tire imbalance can also cause the vibration.

It wouldn't hurt to take it to a tire shop and have the tires rotated and balanced while your their because that wont hurt plus if it does the trick you saved $$$.
Plus you could have them check it on a lathe if the tires dont work.

Members online

No members online now.