What has been your experience with ceramic coatings done by a detailer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JackT

Reaction score
What has been your experience with ceramic coatings done by a detailer? I'm not a car enthusiast. The car will spend the rest of its time going through soft-touch car washes where we can get wax applied from that point forward. The finish is perfect now. I'm wondering if I should get the coating or if it is simply waste of money for someone who NEVER hand washes anything.

Last edited:

ricklack

Reaction score
I recently saw an ad and had info sent from a local indy ceramic coating company. They have different pricing for CUV and SUV but don't specify what they consider the Nox to be - technically it is a CUV but I'm betting they charge as SUV. These are in CAD:

Cars and CUV's:
- Optimum Paintguard 3-year coating $999
- OptiCoat Pro permanent coating $1350
- OptiCoat Pro "Plus" permanent coating $1500

SUV's and Minivans:
- Optimum Paintguard 3-year coating $1150
- OptiCoat Pro permanent coating $1550
- OptiCoat Pro "Plus" permanent coating $1700

Process typically takes one day to complete, ready the next morning.

Warranties are valid for model years 2018 & newer, 2013-17 are eligible for a 2-year warranty.
- Optimum Paintguard 3-year warranty
- OptiCoat Pro 5-year warranty
- OptiCoat Pro Plus 7-year warranty

1. We wash your car.
It’s important to remove grime, loose dirt, and debris from your car’s surface before we continue with the rest of the process. We use a rinseless wash that is gentle on the paint, yet very effective to get the vehicle clean.

2. We decontaminate the paint.
While washing the car removes most of the surface impurities, there are typically many contaminants, such as brake dust, grime, road tar, tree sap, or oil still present on the surface. Some of these contaminants might have also penetrated the paint and bonded with the clear coat so we use chemicals and clay bar to remove such bonded substances from the clear coat.

3. We take your car through a single-stage (or two-stage - extra) paint correction process depending on the condition of the paintwork.
Once the paint is now fully cleaned, we are ready for polishing. When there are imperfections on your car’s paintwork, light does not reflect evenly off your car. There could be light scratches or twirls that could get locked under the ceramic coating, further accentuating a dull, hazy look. During paint correction, we work on the clear coat of your car to remove such imperfections.

We polish the clear coat to give you a high gloss finish, using various grades of polish and special tools as necessary.

4. We prep wipe the entire vehicle, to ensure proper bonding during the coating.
This completes the preparation for ceramic coating!

5. We apply the ceramic coating.
This is when we apply the layer of ceramic coating for your car. This is a thin, transparent layer that bonds to your car’s paint, forming a protective shield. The ceramic coating uses nano-technology, which means that the particles on this layer are so tiny they seal the pores, making your car’s surface water-repellent, and also guarded from UV damage, chemicals, extreme heat, and to minimize scratches.
6. We apply the top layer of permanent ceramic coating (OptiCoat Pro Plus).
As the last step, for OptiCoat Pro Plus customers only, we apply the top layer of permanent ceramic coating for even higher gloss and hydrophobic properties.

JackT

Reaction score
We have one in our area and I may ask to watch them if they'll let me. That's probably what it will take for me to be convinced that it is worthwhile. Thanks.

Reaction score
What has been your experience with ceramic coatings done by a detailer? I'm not a car enthusiast. The car will spend the rest of its time going through soft-touch car washes where we can get wax applied from that point forward. The finish is perfect now. I'm wondering if I should get the coating or if it is simply waste of money for someone who NEVER hand washes anything.
On a 2007 Chevy it was still in great condition. Never had anything else last that long.

I'dluv2

Reaction score
Just bought our 2020 and was in great shape. We live in Hell Arizona and the car stays outside. Our last Equinox, a 2014, got a small spot on the front of the hood. Had a detail guy come by and look at it. Said it was 1 of 2 things, birdshit that stayed on too long or the clear coat going away. About 2 months later the leading edge on the roof started looking spotty so I knew it was time to get rid of it.

Had ceramic put on the new vehicle, $1000 with a 5 year gaurantee. Every year can take it back and they do some kind of tune up to the finish. It's pretty much $5.00 car wash, clean the windows and drive home. Stuff is smooth as a babys butt.

Guzica

Reaction score
Well, I fell for the "Protection" package. Which included a "ceramic like" coating and also interior protection including glass. The finance guy says , well we need like 2-4 hrs... While we are going thru the paperwork , he says=, "oh the guys in back have time now".. I said well I don't have 2-4 hrs.. He said No we can get it done now So while we are still doing paperwork , they "get it done", like 30 min... Yea it looked super clean and shinny. Well i got home and checked around and it seems it "should" take 2-4 hrs to get it applied and have it dry "properly".. Including interior applications.. Well I complained to my salesman, and they are now going to "reapply" it all.. We shall see... I will report back...

bagbyjw

Reaction score
What about the F11 top coat products? Anyone have positive or negative experiences?

SONNY88

Reaction score
You should buy a good sealant that you can use yourself, if you just plan on going thru a car wash.
Most car washes that have brushes or cloths hit your paint, will leave micro-scratches.

If you ceramic coat it, have the detailer wash it twice a month for you, or something.

Jescar PowerLock is a easy sealanmt to apply and wipe off....

bagbyjw

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the information provided, yet I was asking specifically about the F11 products. Anyone have positive or negative experiences with it? I've already got some just waiting for a good warm day

SONNY88

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the information provided, yet I was asking specifically about the F11 products. Anyone have positive or negative experiences with it? I've already got some just waiting for a good warm day
No experience whatsoever, nor have i heard of it.
Where did you buy it-Amazon?

ricklack

Reaction score
I have some F1 products, i think. Gotta look when I get home. If that's what you have, I use the cleaning wax on my windows - repels rain without streaking or hazing- but you have to make sure you clean it off thoroughly.

The tire shine is amazing, looks great and lasts longer than most.

Interior/carpet cleaner works very well and smells great. Gneral cleaner also works well.

I discovered this several summers ago when I was filling up at a gas station. A pretty and large breasted young lady in a low cut blouse was demonstrating the product. She took her time on the lower parts of the car and I spent over $100. Turns out the product was really good. :ROFLMAO:

However, the advent of ceramic cleaners have me using them more these days.

Members online