Valvoline Restore & Protect, anybody try it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rlfgary

Reaction score
I have a 2015 oil burner. About a quart every 4k, not terrible but could be better, has 135k on it. The piston rings are probably leaking, but if this oil can make it better, I will try it. I noticed it's not Dexos approved, but maybe that's not so bad for one or two changes at 4K. What's your experience with this oil?

TDW1954

Reaction score
I have a gallon being delivered today. The best single thing you can do to keep your rings clean is to run top tier gasoline exclusively in your car. I do now. Once in a while run a fuel treatment that contains PEA such as Gumout Once and Done to disolve carbon in your cylinders. Using good oil such as Penzoil Platinum or Amsoil (if you can afford it) goes without saying. And don't run extended oil changes. I change mine at 50% remaining life. I'm one of those that ruined my engine by following Chevrolets original recommended intervals. Fortunately they covered rebuilding my engine and reprogrammed my oil life monitor to around 7,000 miles from the original 10,000 miles. Check out The Oil Geek on Youtube for good info on the subject.

Keesee

Reaction score
I have a 2015 oil burner. About a quart every 4k, not terrible but could be better, has 135k on it. The piston rings are probably leaking, but if this oil can make it better, I will try it. I noticed it's not Dexos approved, but maybe that's not so bad for one or two changes at 4K. What's your experience with this oil?
I have a 2013 oil burner that have 165k and have been using only Valvoline from day one and the motor runs smooth.

rvseverson

Reaction score
I have a gallon being delivered today. The best single thing you can do to keep your rings clean is to run top tier gasoline exclusively in your car. I do now. Once in a while run a fuel treatment that contains PEA such as Gumout Once and Done to disolve carbon in your cylinders. Using good oil such as Penzoil Platinum or Amsoil (if you can afford it) goes without saying. And don't run extended oil changes. I change mine at 50% remaining life. I'm one of those that ruined my engine by following Chevrolets original recommended intervals. Fortunately they covered rebuilding my engine and reprogrammed my oil life monitor to around 7,000 miles from the original 10,000 miles. Check out The Oil Geek on Youtube for good info on the subject.
I have a 2015 with 195k. Was using about a quart in 1K miles. Ran a load of Chevron Techron in the gas and Seafoam in the oil. Switched religiously to Top Tier for the last year. I do the GM 7500 mile oil change with Dexos 5w-30. Started topping off with 5w-40 European oil to see if I could slow the usage down. Started checking every 2k miles. Eventually the usage has slowed but I have no proof of what happened. I want to try the Maxodyne Oil Flush & Decarbonizer product Its been around longer than Valvoline’s new oil.

Jakebot

Reaction score
The only time my 2017 'nox ever lost oil was when I used non Dexos Valvoline High Mileage. Even right after the oil change, it ran funny. And ran perfectly again once changed with Dexos. I always swear by Valvoline, but just, if it's not Dexos, I wouldn't use it unless you're doing your oil changes at minimum twice as often. Non Dexos oil does not stand up the the fuel contamination that naturally occurs in this type of motor. I wouldn't personally even try it. Maybe see if there are additives that you can use that work well with Dexos oil. I would not try a different oil than Dexos though. Not a recommended approach at all.

Severum17

Reaction score
I have a 2015 with 195k. Was using about a quart in 1K miles. Ran a load of Chevron Techron in the gas and Seafoam in the oil. Switched religiously to Top Tier for the last year. I do the GM 7500 mile oil change with Dexos 5w-30. Started topping off with 5w-40 European oil to see if I could slow the usage down. Started checking every 2k miles. Eventually the usage has slowed but I have no proof of what happened. I want to try the Maxodyne Oil Flush & Decarbonizer product Its been around longer than Valvoline’s new oil.
JMHO 7500 is waaaay too long for an oil change, I dont care what GM says. Also I would be very wary of any flush on a 200k engine. It will loosen up anything that is in there and send it through all your bearings and could cause an issue. Again, JMHO. I worked in a GM dealership for 45 years and havent seen it all, but I have seen most of it. Good Luck. I change my oil about every 4000 miles now. Im superstitious.

Voyager

Reaction score
Lake Speed, Jr. aka “The Motor Oil Geek” speaks highly of it in regard to engine cleaning, but I doubt that is your problem. Chevy had a well-known issue with bad rings on several years worth of Equinox engines. Not sure if 2015 engines were affected, but my 2011 was. Unfortunately, by the time mine started using oil fast enough to qualify for the free repair, I was out of the special extended warranty period so I simply had to trade mine in.

I changed my oil at 5,000 mile intervals and used Mobil 1 and my Equinox still started burning oil at about the 95K point. About a quart every 3,000 miles when I traded it in at 140,000. I don’t think stuck rings were the issue, but rather worn out rings and no oil will fix that.

PoManNox

Reaction score
There was a pretty cool u-toob video recently Lake Speed Jr did on Valvoline Restore and Protect. He visited the valvoline test lab in Ashland KY where they talked exclusively about the restore and protect product. Seems like a great product. While I'm still under warranty, Imma stick to Supertech advanced 0w20 dex1 oil, good filters and a ~4-5K mile oil change interval on my 2021 Equinox.

Members online

No members online now.