Problems replacing the engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clanmccracken

Reaction score
Afternoon everyone,
I have something of an interesting problem. Recently my 05 equinox lost a piston and ate it self. Extended warrenty wouldn't cover the payment because I went 4125 miles without an oil change. Anyway, Because I am still paying off the car I decided to replace the engine with a certified used 2008 3.4L motor from the local GM dealership. We get the old motor out without many difficulties (other then the oil pan) and put the 2008 motor in.

We get everything together, all the connections, and try to turn the key. The motor cranks but wont turn over. We have pressure on the fuel line, the spark pugs and the fuses are all new. After some troubleshooting we find that the spark plugs are not firing. We hook up a scanner to the computer and it spits a few codes at us. C0276 is the only one we cant clear, but the others (Camshaft sensor No signal, crackshaft sensor No signal) come back every time we try to start the engine.

We've replaced both the cam shaft and the crank shaft sensors. The sensors are both getting voltage to the sensors, so we know there isn't an open in the harness. Is there some difference between the 2005 and the 2008 Equinox motor that would cause a 2005 ECU to error out when hooked to a 2008 motor?

Any light you can shed on this problem would be of great help.

Thanks
Eric

Members online

Latest posts