P0404 EGR Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atomicfire

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have had this 2006 chevy equinox for a year now and just started having an issue where the CEL would come on almost randomly. I didn't notice any adverse effects so I ignored it for a few weeks until I got into my local o'reilly. The code is P0404, EGR problem.

My question to you all is can I clean this part or do I need to buy a new one? On my dodge, the EGR is a simple part - easily replaced. On this one it seems a bit more complicated and more expensive. I wonder if there is a way to fix this or if the code means its on its way out and i'll need to spend the money to get a new one.

Thanks

robuato

Reaction score
there are good diagnostics for the egr here- Part 1 -3.1L, 3.4L GM Index of Articles.

I just completed it in a 2005 buick, I also removed and cleaned the valve and still have the problem. I also have an 05 equinox with 120k but no egr problems so far

I plan to replace the egr

most times you get the code the valve is bad

if you have no symptoms (hesitation, stalling, etc), I would clear the code and see if it comes back

once you get symptoms, it will need to be replaced, but I would not wait for that

Staff online

Members online