Negative Battery Cable/Battery Saver Active

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tcave44

Reaction score
Replaced a dead battery last weekend on 2010 Equinox 4cyl. and since then, been getting Battery Saver Active warnings within a minute or two of startup. Garage couldn't figure it out as alternator is charging battery normally. I kept mentioning the crazy amount of corrosion on the negative and asked about the battery current sensor since it seems like that is a potential problem. He said he's never once had to replace that sensor but when I asked about doing it and swapping a whole new negative cable in there, he said he'd do it but wasn't sure it would fix it. Well... took it home to think about it. Figured I'd spray some protector on that negative terminal to prevent corrosion. Pulled back the rubber flap to find this...

IMG_8446.jpeg

Looks to me like in all the cleaning and dis/re-connecting, the smaller wire (ground wire, right?) has snapped. I guess the corrosion got to it after all. Don't know how the garage didn't notice this. Anyway, this is almost definitely responsible for the Battery Saver Active alerts, yes? Suggestions on what to do with it? Does that just get crimped under that side terminal bolt? Should I just get a whole new cable? I can't find any images of how that is connected correctly. Any help is appreciated. Oh also, am I gonna do any damage if I drive it without that connected for a few days?

tcave44

Reaction score
UPDATE! I just snipped below where the connector corroded away, stripped the wire, and wrapped it around the nut/bolt where the connector was fastened. So far so good and no Battery Saver Active alert after a half hour of driving. Sprayed some battery terminal protector all over the terminals and hoping this'll last a while. Hardest part was stripping the wire since there is not much slack in that thing at all.

IMG_8446.jpegIMG_8449.jpeg

Last edited:

Terrywhite

Reaction score
it's a shame no one replied to this at all.
I had the same problem and cleaning it all fixed it right up. I also snapped that same ground wire which to this day I have no idea what it's a ground for.

II'm having AC problems now. Oddly in the morning hours it works perfectly but, later in the day when you need it most you can hear the clutch engage and it will turn maybe 3 full revolutions then the clutch disengages and you got it... no AC.

Not meaning to swipe your thread. I just added the AC part because it was the very next problem.

tcave44

Reaction score
it's a shame no one replied to this at all.
I had the same problem and cleaning it all fixed it right up. I also snapped that same ground wire which to this day I have no idea what it's a ground for.

II'm having AC problems now. Oddly in the morning hours it works perfectly but, later in the day when you need it most you can hear the clutch engage and it will turn maybe 3 full revolutions then the clutch disengages and you got it... no AC.

Not meaning to swipe your thread. I just added the AC part because it was the very next problem.
I wish I had some insight for you on the ac. On my Equinox, the manifold went for the third time a couple months after this... and then before I could even get it fixed, the transmission went. It's been sitting in my garage waiting for me to unload it somewhere. No way I'm putting transmission money into this car.

Terrywhite

Reaction score
Ours is in pretty good shape and had only recently started with some off the wall things.
We have the LTZ Model and I've been seriously thinking about finding a Mazada 3 or maybe even a Mazda 6 and try doing a straight trade. It's paid off now so I'm not really ready to start pouring cash into it.

Members online