Let’s share our upgrades/modifications

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NikeRJC

Reaction score
Hey all. Im new to this forum and have been a GM technician since 2005. I picked up my 2019 Equinox 1.5t Premier at my dealership last year. I’m enjoying it so far but it definitely needed some modifications. I’d love to to hear what you all have done. So far I’ve….
1. Tinted all windows including windshield and sunroof(extra heat rejection). Nice to keep the sunshade open in the summer.
2. Installed ambient lighting to front and rear floors.
3. Installed ambient light to storage compartment under the radio/wireless phone charger.
4. Replaced chrome side mirrors with body colored ones.
5. GM floor liners and cargo liner
6. Installed 19” black/machined wheels from GMC Terrain.
7. Installed frameless rear view mirror from Cadillac XT5.
8. Shifter knob from Chevy Blazer ( newer design and leather wrapped)
9. LED fog lights
10. LED back up bulbs( took some extra modifying to have back up can function as designed)
11. LED license plate bulbs.
12. Tail lamp upgrade to 2022+ RS/premier lamp assemblies.
13. Start/stop delete( my personal favorite!)
What else can I do??? Let’s hear about your modifications

Last edited:

Miguel

Reaction score
I'll share mine for now. I'll update with pictures later:

1. LED fog lights
  2. Tinted front side windows
  3. OEM Style Dashcam that installs by replacing the front active safety hardware trim cover - it also has rear dash camera
  4. GM floor liners and cargo liner
  5. GM Trunk retractable cargo cover
  6. LED License Plate lights - gave up on reverse LED as they would stay on 24/7
  7. Footwell Lighting thanks to you! :cool:
  8. Hood Struts
  9. Front parking sensors - to be installed.
  10. Battery Cover
  11. Rear footwell Vent Outlet Grille Cover Trim
  12. Door hinge covers
  13. Door Lock covers
  14. Glovebox Light
  15. Tire Pressure Sensor Reset
  16. Screen Protector
  17. Key fob Protectors
  18. Center Console Organizer
  19. Windshield Sun Shade

I like the Start/Stop system, I used it over 10 years ago in Europe.

@NikeRJC - That Frameless Rearview mirror is with camera to see behind the car? Also can you share more info on the work needed to update to 2022+ RS/premier lamp assemblies? And is there any way of converting the original Taillights to have Amber turn signal?

Last edited:

Coastie

Reaction score
NikeRJC - Please explain your item 13, "Start/stop delete."

Miguel - Please explain your item 3, "OEM Style Dashcam that installs by replacing the front active safety hardware - it also has rear dash camera."

Miguel

Reaction score

Miguel - Please explain your item 3, "OEM Style Dashcam that installs by replacing the front active safety hardware - it also has rear dash camera."
@Coastie

My camera is this one. I bought from here.
I hardwired as I mentioned on my thread in this forum

20231027_220429.jpg
20231027_220356.jpg
20231027_220214.jpg
20231027_220228.jpg

NikeRJC

Reaction score

1. LED fog lights
3. OEM Style Dashcam that installs by replacing the front active safety hardware - it also has rear dash camera
6. LED License Plate lights - gave up un reverse LED as they would stay on 24/7
8. Hood Struts

I like the Start/Stop system, I was already use to it over 1o years ago in Europe.

@NikeRJC - That Frameless Rearview mirror is with camera to see behind the car? Also can you share more info on the work needed to update to 2022+ RS/premier lamp assemblies? And is there any way of converting the original Taillights to have Amber turn signal?

I already have the front parking sensors. I'll have them installed soon.
Unfortunately the frameless is just auto-dimming like the mirror our car comes with. It just doesn’t have the black plastic bezel around the mirror.

As far as the taillights… the connectors on the new lamps were different then the stock ones. So I purchased a pigtail connector for an RS from my parts department. I just needed a wiring schematic of the new and old lamps so I could wire the pigtail to the appropriate circuits.

Not sure about the amber turn signals. Our lamps are LED from the factory and pretty sure our brake light is also the turn signal. So if it’s even able to be done you’d wind up with amber brake lights as well.

NikeRJC

Reaction score

Hey Coastie. The start stop delete is just a jumper harness purchased on Amazon. It connects to your hood latch. It works great and doesn’t interfere with your factory remote start.

NikeRJC

Reaction score

1. LED fog lights
3. OEM Style Dashcam that installs by replacing the front active safety hardware - it also has rear dash camera
6. LED License Plate lights - gave up un reverse LED as they would stay on 24/7
8. Hood Struts

I like the Start/Stop system, I was already use to it over 1o years ago in Europe.

I already have the front parking sensors. I'll have them installed soon.
How are the hood struts?? I didnt know they made this. Where did you get them and how was installation?

Miguel

Reaction score
How are the hood struts?? I didnt know they made this. Where did you get them and how was installation?
Here are the pictures and also another addition I forgot! The Battery Negative Connector Cover.

20231028_085012.jpg20231028_084956.jpg20231028_084949.jpg20231028_084940.jpg

Hood Struts purchased here and I installed myself, alone with dollar store tools.
Battery cover ordered here.

I'm updating my list above with links. I don't have any commission. All done because I like it.

Miguel

Reaction score
Unfortunately the frameless is just auto-dimming like the mirror our car comes with. It just doesn’t have the black plastic bezel around the mirror.

As far as the taillights… the connectors on the new lamps were different then the stock ones. So I purchased a pigtail connector for an RS from my parts department. I just needed a wiring schematic of the new and old lamps so I could wire the pigtail to the appropriate circuits.

Not sure about the amber turn signals. Our lamps are LED from the factory and pretty sure our brake light is also the turn signal. So if it’s even able to be done you’d wind up with amber brake lights as well.
I really like the new style LED Tail lights.
But I would only go for a mod if I could have the Led Amber turn signals.

I thought of these or these, but I think the turn signal is still red

Severum17

Reaction score
Hey all. Im new to this forum and have been a GM technician since 2005. I picked up my 2019 Equinox 1.5t Premier at my dealership last year. I’m enjoying it so far but it definitely needed some modifications. I’d love to to hear what you all have done. So far I’ve….
1. Tinted all windows including windshield and sunroof(extra heat rejection). Nice to keep the sunshade open in the summer.
2. Installed ambient lighting to front and rear floors.
3. Installed ambient light to storage compartment under the radio/wireless phone charger.
4. Replaced chrome side mirrors with body colored ones.
5. GM floor liners and cargo liner
6. Installed 19” black/machined wheels from GMC Terrain.
7. Installed frameless rear view mirror from Cadillac XT5.
8. Shifter knob from Chevy Blazer ( newer design and leather wrapped)
9. LED fog lights
10. LED back up bulbs( took some extra modifying to have back up can function as designed)
11. LED license plate bulbs.
12. Tail lamp upgrade to 2022+ RS/premier lamp assemblies.
13. Start/stop delete( my personal favorite!)
What else can I do??? Let’s hear about your modifications
Like to hear more about the shifter knob. Mine is peeling and I would like to replace it.

NikeRJC

Reaction score
Like to hear more about the shifter knob. Mine is peeling and I would like to replace it.
I used a shifter knob from a Blazer. All of the new GM shifters look the same but for some reason, in the Equinox they no longer have a leather wrapped knob. So that’s why I went with one from a Blazer. Looks the same otherwise. But for the sake of convenience, I would just purchase one for a newer equinox. Reason being is the equinox’s have a wire and connector in the shifter for the manual shift button. The blazer has a different design so it took some modifications for me. I didn’t mind because I’m a tech at Chevy. The difference in the leather vs non isn’t worth doing the modifications. Here’s a picture of the new design. Button for +/- is moved to the side.

Attachments

• IMG_6848.jpeg
    IMG_6848.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 15

NikeRJC

Reaction score
I really like the new style LED Tail lights.
But I would only go for a mod if I could have the Led Amber turn signals.

I thought of these or these, but I think the turn signal is still red
I like the first ones. Considered them myself. Hesitant because not sure of the LED quality. But they look good in the picture! Would even like to use that location as a rear fog light at some point.

ricklack

Reaction score
I haven't done a lot to mine, I got red outlined inserts for the cup holders and assorted storage areas - trying to keep with the RS themed red accents on the dash, seats and shifter.

I also painted the calipers, again in red. Mine is Iron Grey and with the dark chrome the wheels look almost the same as the paint - too much dark for me. The red calipers break up all the dark and again keep to the RS theme. The pic is not good, the red really pops - should have taken the pic in the sun.

One the last Nox I changed the interior bulbs to blue LEDs and also the license plate lights. I might do that but since the owner's manual actually says not to change them to LEDs, I will wait until the warranty is over.

Attachments

• 20230828_090224.jpg
    20230828_090224.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Oshkash

Reaction score

1. LED fog lights
  3. OEM Style Dashcam that installs by replacing the front active safety hardware trim cover - it also has rear dash camera
  6. LED License Plate lights - gave up on reverse LED as they would stay on 24/7
  8. Hood Struts
  9. Front parking sensors - to be installed.
  10. Battery Cover
  11. Rear footwell Vent Outlet Grille Cover Trim
  12. Door hinge covers
  13. Door Lock covers
  14. Glovebox Light
  15. Tire Pressure Sensor Reset
  16. Screen Protector
  17. Key fob Protectors
  18. Center Console Organizer
  19. Windshield Sun Shade

I like the Start/Stop system, I used it over 10 years ago in Europe.

How do you hook up the footwell lights?
Thank you

Members online

No members online now.