I4 Nox's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2010BlkGraniteNox

Reaction score
What a difference between driving an I4 and V6 Nox.....I just spent just over 1500 miles in an I4 for work, and I have to say I'm glad I got the V6 :)

MPG on the I4 was 23.1mpg over the entire trip. I got 21.xx on my V6 towing a Sea Doo with 2 other adults in the car.

2010BlkGraniteNox

Reaction score
I thought the claim better fuel mileage than that...

Same.....

Engine just felt as though it struggled more often then mine does. I might change my mind on getting an I4 Nox as a company car, I'm do a replacement to the Impala in Jan (well order it)....Hopefully something new will get added, right now its I4 1LT Nox or Impala LT

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
Same.....

Engine just felt as though it struggled more often then mine does. I might change my mind on getting an I4 Nox as a company car, I'm do a replacement to the Impala in Jan (well order it)....Hopefully something new will get added, right now its I4 1LT Nox or Impala LT

What about the new cruze?

2010BlkGraniteNox

Reaction score
What about the new cruze?

Not on your list....I've heard rumors they might add the Malibu w/ LAF, if they do I think I will go with that one

We have to pick from the list of the cars available :), they paid us for cars and let us pick our own, not sure I would go w/ GM tbh, as I drive around 45-50k a year in the company car. My Impala is a 2009, I picked up in April of 2009, it has 69,xxx miles on it already

Z_Ghost

Super Mod
Reaction score
I'm happy with my I4 Terrain so far, shoot I was doing 70 mph last night and did not know it.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
I'd imagine it would be great if you drive mostly flatlands... I drive up north and there is hardly a vehicle that I like to drive through them dang mountains in West Virginia...

They are brutal.

Z_Ghost

Super Mod
Reaction score
Go drive a Cobalt SS/TC, you will find they are fun on roads like that.
When I went and made my last test drive I did the long hill on I20 it did fine on that.
I will say if I lived in the mountans I would not want anything less then a V8 or something with a Turbo on it.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
My brother wants the I4. I told him that I would like him to try driving my equinox before test driving the I4. Yeah I know it has cruel intentions but I think it will be funny!

Colt Hero

Reaction score
I4 vs. V6

I went to the dealer intent on buying a particular V6 unit, but I test drove a "4" beforehand just for comparison reasons (I had never driven EITHER up until this point). I have to say, although the highway I drove both vehicles on was mostly flat, I really couldn't tell the difference between the two .... UNTIL I pressed the ECO button. That's when the powertrain on the I4 started holding back on me (kind of like downshifting into the wrong gear on a manual tranny). If I had been there to buy the "4" that day, I wouldn't have bought it. It was a terrible feeling. I was fighting with the car to maintain speed.

Before settling on the V6 Equinox, I was shopping both the I4 Equinox AND the Traverse (which is what I REALLY wanted). Hadn't considered the V6 Equinox at all! But after many months of endless online searching, offers to purchase, and deliberation, I talked myself out of both of them based on overall cost (Traverse), and complaints (I4).

So it's the V6 Equinox for the next 200,000 miles. Or so I hope ...

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
Thanks for the review. Yeah I am with you but on the same token the i4 is enough for some. It depends on your needs.

Colt Hero

Reaction score
Maybe the "I4" guys can answer the following:

1.) Was there something wrong with the "I4" unit I test drove, or is that the way it is?

2.) Did I mis-use the ECO button? I only engaged it on the return drive back to the dealership (about 3-4 miles).

Z_Ghost

Super Mod
Reaction score
ECO works well on my Terrain and yes you can feel it but it's not a big difference.
I sometimes forget it's on.
I do turn it off when in stop and go traffic.
Some hills that will downshift with eco off feel more like the trans is just unlocking the torque converter with eco on.

I got on the hwy tonight, set cruse control to 70, reset the avg mpg and ran the 20 miles home.
When I was getting off the hwy I was at 32.6 mpg.
It's not mountains here but it's not flat either, your going up hill or down hill.

bfp59

Reaction score
Hi all, I /we (wife) have an 08 equinox V6, and drove the I4 over the weekend and must say i didnt feel a whole lot of difference. We are considering a new one and being she drives 95 percent city driving, I think it would be fine. Any thoughts?

2010BlkGraniteNox

Reaction score
Hi all, I /we (wife) have an 08 equinox V6, and drove the I4 over the weekend and must say i didnt feel a whole lot of difference. We are considering a new one and being she drives 95 percent city driving, I think it would be fine. Any thoughts?

The I4 is very similar to the stock V6 that came in the OBS Nox's, they had a 3400 V6 with very similar power numbers. I wouldnt think you would see a difference in driving the I4 because of this...

Now if you had a 08 Sport Nox which had the 3.6L DOHC VVT, you would notice a huge difference. The 3.0L V6 in the 2010+ is similar to that setup..

bfp59

Reaction score
The I4 is very similar to the stock V6 that came in the OBS Nox's, they had a 3400 V6 with very similar power numbers. I wouldnt think you would see a difference in driving the I4 because of this...

Now if you had a 08 Sport Nox which had the 3.6L DOHC VVT, you would notice a huge difference. The 3.0L V6 in the 2010+ is similar to that setup..

Thanks for the reply, I thought the horsepower was somewhat close. I just dont want to make a mistake here when buying. I know it depends on alot of factors, but are 08 only has 28,000 miles on it.

Kansas Terrain

Reaction score
I4 is great in N/W Kansas, doesn't get any flatter than this, seems to accelerate just fine, so far only averaging 23 mpg..but sure when gets broken in, it will improve.

rbiggers

Reaction score
We drove both and the wife decided she really did like the V6 better. Not a major difference to us, but enough to matter.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts