Headlights Randomly Turning On

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

weeh84

Reaction score
I purchased a 2006 Chevy Equinox, used a few years ago and it has been working fine up until a week ago. On the way to work one morning, I noticed my high beams were on. I flipped the switch to turn them off, and they wouldn't. I thought I had hit/done something to the headlight switch. I parked the car in an empty parking lot, attempting to mess with the switch, and then it randomly turns off. I didn't think anything of it.

Later that week, my husband takes the Equinox to pick up a few groceries. He said my high beams wouldn't shut off and then randomly shut off while he was driving. It did this a few more times where it would flicker.

Yesterday, my husband came home and told me my headlights were on as my car was parked out front, and went to shut them off. He thought that I hit a switch, but I assured him the lights were off when I came back home from the grocery store.

Today, I drove the car 5 minutes up the road and back to run an errand around 1:30. I double checked the lights, and nothing was on. My husband came home around six, and we were leaving to go to his son's play...and of course, the car battery is gone. We try to jump start the car, and nothing.

$111 dollars later for a new battery, the headlights now won't shut off. We have been checking outside and they randomly turn on whenever they want to.

We are going to take it to be looked at tomorrow and honestly, if it is something that is an easy fix, I don't want to pay a mechanic if I do not have to.

Has anyone else had this issue, or have an idea as to what it could be?

The headlight switch has been extremely sensitive. Today, we couldn't even use the turn signal because it was turning on the high beams while we were driving to Advanced Auto. I'm 9.5 months pregnant, I really cannot afford to have a car stop running on the way to the hospital. Any advice would be appreciated.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
I am wondering if the switch is going bad. I think you have a switch that allows your to switch from auto, day time running lights, parking and headlights... You might try turning that switch left to right about a dozen times. Sometimes corrosion build up can cause funny things to happen with electrical components.

The only positive thing about taking it into the dealer is they are somewhat more capable of finding the problem a little quicker than we can even troubleshoot.

If I had a guess is sounds like a resistor or a relay might need to be replaced if the switch is not the issue.

I did notice that there is a headlight recall for your year model Equinox but it is only in relation to moisture in the headlight. You may want to ask them if this recall had been completed on your Equinox when you take it in. It will show up when the look up your vin number.

weeh84

Reaction score
I am wondering if the switch is going bad. I think you have a switch that allows your to switch from auto, day time running lights, parking and headlights... You might try turning that switch left to right about a dozen times. Sometimes corrosion build up can cause funny things to happen with electrical components.

The only positive thing about taking it into the dealer is they are somewhat more capable of finding the problem a little quicker than we can even troubleshoot.

If I had a guess is sounds like a resistor or a relay might need to be replaced if the switch is not the issue.

I did notice that there is a headlight recall for your year model Equinox but it is only in relation to moisture in the headlight. You may want to ask them if this recall had been completed on your Equinox when you take it in. It will show up when the look up your vin number.

Thank you for the suggestion! I will have to call the dealer. We moved the switch forward slightly, and backward, and it temporarily would shut off the lights; however, the high beam sign kept turning back on. When we pushed it slightly forward again, the headlight switch completely snapped. We had to take the fuses out because the headlights kept coming back on. Hoping to get it fixed before the end of this week, I'll update and let the forum know what it is :)

mswerb

Reaction score
I have a 2007 and you can not turn the high beams on. We have a "flash to pass" feature which does just that. The high beams do not stay on.

tbk0814

Reaction score
I am having same problem but don't have the money to take to shop just yet is there a high beam fuse I can pull for now? I don't need them in town right this second.... plzzzzzzzz help

2006 chevy equiox

Members online