Grinding Noise upon Braking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

abdraftsman

Reaction score
Hi all, i attempted to search for a thread that is similar to my situation but couldn't find anything. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I just did brakes and rotors all the way around my 2011 equinox awd v6. Afterward i am getting a grinding noise as i brake. The noise is intermittent and when it happens it is always just as i'm almost stopped. It is coming from the front but can't tell which side. I get no ABS lights and it doesn't really feel like anything to do with ABS. Sometimes i can release pressure on the pedal slightly and reapply pressure and the grinding will go away.

I've taken both sides apart again twice to check for problems and found nothing rubbing or scraping. Each time i've put everything back together the noise goes away for a few days before returning.

I've also put both front wheels in the air, started the truck and tried to simulate the grinding/braking issue but cannot get it to do it.

I'm about to book an appointment with the dealer to have them figure it out but am hoping someone here has some ideas first.

Thanks!

mswerb

Reaction score
I would take it to and independent brake shop before the dealer. Unless you like being bent over backwards.

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
It could be the new pads on old rotors. I've had that issue with mine, starting to wonder if I should have them turned again in attempts to get rid of the noise. Figuratively, the old pads and rotors will grove to each other as wear persists. Typically when you add new pads to a previously warn rotor they aren't 100% mates so you can get some pretty bad break noises.

tlwilliams

Reaction score
What size tires do you have? i am looking for a new set. I went to a local tire place and they said 22'' couldnt fit on my equniox :(

tlwilliams

Reaction score
Did you ever figure out what was the cause. i am having the SAME issues with my 2012 equniox :(

dietz4ibanez

Admin
Reaction score
My wheels are 20's, I'm sure 22's would fir with a lower profile tire.

Sorry for the thread jack.

I probably would have taken those rotors back. Sounds like they weren't surfaced properly.

It may go away as they get broken in with the new pads but they shouldn't be making any noise.

Ilbronco

Reaction score
Same Issue:

Hi all, i attempted to search for a thread that is similar to my situation but couldn't find anything. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I just did brakes and rotors all the way around my 2011 equinox awd v6. Afterward i am getting a grinding noise as i brake. The noise is intermittent and when it happens it is always just as i'm almost stopped. It is coming from the front but can't tell which side. I get no ABS lights and it doesn't really feel like anything to do with ABS. Sometimes i can release pressure on the pedal slightly and reapply pressure and the grinding will go away.

I've taken both sides apart again twice to check for problems and found nothing rubbing or scraping. Each time i've put everything back together the noise goes away for a few days before returning.

I've also put both front wheels in the air, started the truck and tried to simulate the grinding/braking issue but cannot get it to do it.

I'm about to book an appointment with the dealer to have them figure it out but am hoping someone here has some ideas first.

Thanks!

I am having the same issue. Just recently had brakes done. Same noise only when braking from 5-0 mph. It is coming from the front drivers side. From outside it does not sound like a grind but more like a rubbing noise.

Has anyone determined the root cause. Could it be the CV joint wearing out or a bearing wearing out? It kind of has me stumped.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Derty2009

Reaction score
I see this is an older thread, but has anyone resolved this issue? It has me stumped as well.

InnerPulseEnergy

Reaction score
I currently have my 13' Equinox in the shop for this exact issue, the bearing was replaced and it was not the issue, pads and rotors have been checked and are also fine, however the shop says at first sound it almost is as if the wrong breaking system was put onto the vehical, reading this it seems to be a serious issue... has anyone had this issue resolved?

Members online

No members online now.