Engine code after battery replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turkeydriver

Reaction score
My 2019 Equinox Premier died inside my garage and wouldn't jump start. The lights would come on but the engine wouldn't crank. Local towing company got enough juice into it to shift tranny into neutral and pull it onto a flat bed. A nearby auto repair shop replaced the battery and all is good. However the check engine light came on and is showing a code of U01B0. This is showing that communication is lost between the battery and the Battery Monitor Module. As there is some computer "stuff" on top of the battery which has to be removed to replace battery I am wondering if this has caused the problem. Where is this Battery Monitor Module located? If it is on top of the battery I think I will fight with the repair shop. I am guessing they may have left a connection loose or damaged the unit in some way. Any thoughts?
Also. does it really matter if this communication is lost?
Thanks for the help,
Scott

ROBO

Reaction score
My 2019 Equinox Premier died inside my garage and wouldn't jump start. The lights would come on but the engine wouldn't crank. Local towing company got enough juice into it to shift tranny into neutral and pull it onto a flat bed. A nearby auto repair shop replaced the battery and all is good. However the check engine light came on and is showing a code of U01B0. This is showing that communication is lost between the battery and the Battery Monitor Module. As there is some computer "stuff" on top of the battery which has to be removed to replace battery I am wondering if this has caused the problem. Where is this Battery Monitor Module located? If it is on top of the battery I think I will fight with the repair shop. I am guessing they may have left a connection loose or damaged the unit in some way. Any thoughts?
Also. does it really matter if this communication is lost?
Thanks for the help,
Scott
My 2018 battery died last week and jumped off fine. Replaced with no issues. I'm wondering if your fuse for the communication or anything was blown when trying to jump start?

turkeydriver

Reaction score
My 2018 battery died last week and jumped off fine. Replaced with no issues. I'm wondering if your fuse for the communication or anything was blown when trying to jump start?
Well, I discovered the module is a small box connected at the battery terminal. Can be bought for about $60. However, parts store thinks that some comput4er magic has to be done by a shop with with the proper equipment. They suggested dealer. Hate to do that but..........

spaycace

Reaction score
My 2019 Equinox diesel battery died (while I was in South Dakota for my nephew's wedding) during "THE storm" that rolled through days before Christmas. I replaced the battery myself (with some help from my brother) in -6 degree cold and 20 mph winds, with no codes and no issues. I would guess that whomever replaced your battery either left something disconnected/loose, or damaged something in the process, as a jump-start should not blow the fusible link in that mechanism. You should easily be able to make the repair yourself if you purchase the new part, and it most likely should not require any programming by a dealer. I replaced the equivalent part on a BMW and had no issues with needing reprogramming. Best of luck to you ... let us know how it turns out!

Members online