Detroit Axle - yay or nay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tuxthepeng

Reaction score
Anyone here have experience with Detroit Axle suspension parts, good or bad? For less than a single MOOG hub I could replace all 4 bearings on my Equinox with Detroit Axle hubs. Add in a 10pc front suspension kit from Detroit Axle and I'm still below the price of a single ACDelco wheel hub.

Normally I jump on the "you get what you pay for" bandwagon - especially when it comes to car parts. However all the factory parts on my 07 Nox are getting closer to 200k and you can tell. I'm not expecting race-level performance or service life out of Detroit Axle, just wheel bearings that don't growl and ball joints that don't clunk for the first 10k miles or so.

tl;dr: anyone have experience with Detroit Axle parts on your Equinox?

also obligatory hello on my first post! long time lurker finally decided to chime in

cavell

Reaction score
Ha. You plan on keeping it for 100k miles more? Is that 5+ years? I tried the $35 China bearings. I’ve bought a dozen over 5 yrs for 5 different rigs. Fix em, sell em. But, I have kept the vue and have done 1 wheel 3 times in 5 yrs. so, I would say stay away from the $35 ones.
a local yard sells new bearing for $70 with 3 yr warranty. I’m at yr 2 on that one. Good so far.

Last edited:

5280nitro

Reaction score
Like Cavell stated, I have also tried the cheaper bearings & put a set of the Autozone premium bearings into my 05 LT AWD & got about 3 months out of each set. I finally purchased a set of the Timken's & have had no problems after 60K. For whatever bearing you decide to go with, make sure to follow the proper torque spec on the axle nut. This is responsible for the bearing preload. If it is to tight it can create a premature bearing failure. Most of the bearing sets I bought had there own torque spec sheet that was in the box. Good luck on this quest.

Members online