Coolant flush/ radiator issues...?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cezardob

Reaction score
So I'm slowly doing all of the 100k service on the car myself. It's an '06 Nox with a little over 95k miles. Yesterday, I flushed the coolant and added the Prestone Extended life stuff.

I opened the radiator petcock and nothing came out. At all. Dry as a bone. So I went to the other end of the radiator and removed the big hose and it all drained out.

Now, my issue is this: I ONLY needed to use 1 gallon of 50/50 mix. Shouldn't it take a LOT more. Instead of the almost 4 liters, shouldn't it take nearly 10?

I'm not now nor have I EVER experience overheating but it seems that the radiator isn't accepting all the fluids. Is there a different sport, other than the plastic reservoir, to fill the vehicle with coolant? I didn't see a radiator cap anywhere...It's supposed to take 9.9 liters, isn't it?
:shocked:

cezardob

Reaction score
How do I do that? All I did was remove the reservoir cap and the main coolant tube from the bottom of the passenger side radiator. I didn't see anywhere else to unhook or turn a knob that was related to the cooling system..

Reaction score
It takes 10 qts for total fill if you drained it completely. I would gather that there is a bunch still in the engine. I'm not familiar with that engine, maybe have to take the thermostat out to drain the block as well. There also might be drain plugs on the side of the engine block. If you went as far as to flush it and have that many miles on it then it wouldn't hurt to put a new thermostat in it while your at it.

Here is a list of capacities for your Nox.
CAPACITIES:
Engine, with filter..........4.6 quarts [1]
Cooling System, Initial Fill..........10.6 quarts
Automatic Transmission, AF33 Initial Fill..........3.3 quarts
Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
5 speed AF33..........8.3 quarts
Differential, Rear..........1.5 pints
Transfer Case, NVG 900..........1.1 pints [2]
[1] Top-off as necessary.
[2] Fill to the bottom of fill hole.

cezardob

Reaction score
This is really weird. My old 4Runner was so straight forward since it had a radiator cap. I'll see if i can convince a Chevy service guy to give me some info. The Haynes manual is junk and I can't find a good Chevy manual on this car. I'm totally bummed out on this.

Black, I'll check some more places but I'm just not sure there is any other location that will drain the coolant. I found those same specs somewhere but I'm just lost as to where that fluid goes since the reservoir tank shows full.

oleg1981

Reaction score
It takes 10 qts for total fill if you drained it completely. I would gather that there is a bunch still in the engine. I'm not familiar with that engine, maybe have to take the thermostat out to drain the block as well. There also might be drain plugs on the side of the engine block. If you went as far as to flush it and have that many miles on it then it wouldn't hurt to put a new thermostat in it while your at it.

Here is a list of capacities for your Nox.
CAPACITIES:
Engine, with filter..........4.6 quarts [1]

thats wierd!
owners manual says 4.0q with filter.

LanaLou

Reaction score
I just did the thermostat too, and it was really annoying because there is very little room there. You need a 13mm stubby wrench to the the back bolt off to change the thermostat. I also had to use some liquid wrench on the back bolt.

Reaction score
I know this is a long since dead post but I have run into the same problem today.

2007 equinox, trying to flush and refill system and I am only able to put back in a little over a gallon of fluid.

Any thoughts and assistance would be greatly appreciated.

pac822

Reaction score
Coolant Flush

How much did you remove? I think that you have air in the system. On the top of water pump there is a bleed valve you need to bleed the system then burp it by squeezing the upper hose.

Members online

No members online now.