Converting AWD to FWD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slaporte

Reaction score
Im sorry if this is already a topic somewhere. Its so hard just to REGISTER onto a forum these days, let alone search.

Anyways. I have a 2007 Equinox LT with a busted Ujoint on the rear driveshaft.
A trusted mechanic said that it is possible to just remove it and that it has a ball and socket yoke so the fluid shouldnt leak.

Can anyone confirm is this is okay to do? I have snow tires and am not worried about handling. What I am worried about is the stress it could put on the transmission. There is drive, I (middle 2nd gear setting) and a low gear setting.
How much of these settings are ratioed to the rear wheels or do the real wheels only engage when I lose traction?

I will be pulling this shortly regardless as it has to be replaced and headed for a 12 hour trip this coming weekend. Looking to save the $450 on the new shaft.

Thank You.

The Tireman

Reaction score
Just run it with rear shaft out, shouldn't be a problem just be front wheel drive, shouldn't be no different than removing front shaft from a 4x4 I've done that several times

The Tireman

Reaction score
I read that you can turn the all wheel drive off , so shouldn't matter taking the rear shaft out I researched it before we got our 06 Equinox cause looked at one that was all wheel drive to

slaporte

Reaction score
Well I have to take it out regardless because if it snaps while on the highway I will die.
Are you saying you removed it physically on thr 06 without any trouble?

The Tireman

Reaction score
No not on our 06 Equinox, but I've removed shafts from 4x4's with no problems, should be ok to undo the rear shaft and be front wheel drive even tho it's all wheel drive..

Members online