2007 rear driveshaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Rear driveshaft broke at midshaft universal joint today.

Is it possible to just remove front half of driveshaft and still drive vehicle?

If driveshaft needs to be completely replaced to drive vehicle, is it simply remove and replace? I have seen videos marking both ends of the driveshaft prior to removing but figured this was only for replacing with same driveshaft not a new one?

Thanks in advance for any info/help.

Last edited:

gkala

Reaction score
I did the driveshaft on my 2008 3.4 recently. Pretty simple. Took about 45 minutes. Would have been 20 minutes, but the engine side of the driveshaft was a little rusted and stuck in the mount. Took some PB blaster and a tapered punch in the bolt holes to wiggle it out. Just a pain to do on your back. Bought this driveshaft from Amazon. Free shipping.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I agree the process is very simple except where it attaches to the engine. I spent hours with PB blaster, a hammer, and an air hammer/chisel trying to remove it. No luck. 15 years of NE Ohio winters have rust welded it on.

At that point I was planning to just scrap the vehicle. So, I broke the driveshaft out of the engine attachment. See picture.

This is where I stand now. Going to attempt a diy penetrant of 50/50 ATF and acetone. Supposedly, it has miraculous penetrating properties. We shall see later this week.

However, I have noticed the Equinox has never accelerated more smoothly now without the rear wheels involved.

I also removed the AWD fuse and I turn traction control off when I drive.

My issue is the Equinox is on its last leg for me.

I am planning to hold on to it until I need to replace the tires again. Just replaced them a year ago but only drive it about 10k miles a year, only for work.

In my opinion vehicle is not worth even the $300 for a new driveshaft.

So, if I can get the remaining driveshaft out this weekend I may explore replacing it. But, it’s driving the best it has in years so I may just leave well enough alone.

0024FA70-1694-486C-832B-D0DFE5D68A8D.jpeg

Members online