CAR symbol in "mid-level" Driver Information Center display

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gbynum

Reaction score
2022 LT with "Confidence and Convenience Package"

The Owner's Manual suggests this is the "Vehicle Ahead" FCA indicator, forward collision alert showing a car ahead. Well, maybe I'm just thick or stupid; I've tried to cure the ignorance.

To be clear, this is on the display to the right of the Cruise Control info, bottom line.

The manual discusses the Green color car symbol. I can perhaps correlate that with the manual, but not well. What I don't understand is what it means when it is Amber (fairly often) or Red (rare)

Can anyone clarify what this means?

(I can understand GM not printing manuals in color, $$$, but it would SURE be nice to have a color pdf manual)

Coastie

Reaction score
Amber: Damn, you're close to that car ahead of you.
Red: YOU'RE TOO DAMN CLOSE TO THAT CAR AHEAD OF YOU!

gbynum

Reaction score
That's what I assumed, but it wasn't reality. It must have picked up a car in an adjacent lane. I'd rather it detect things not there than miss things that are.

Where did you find that documented?

Thanks!

Big Papi

Reaction score
"...what it means when it is Amber"
Caution
"or Red"
Danger
This seems to be extremely intuitive so perhaps I'm missing what your actual concern is. The manual spells it out plainly as well, is my take, it's doubtful a color manual would make it any more so. What exactly do you find confusing?

gbynum

Reaction score
"...what it means when it is Amber"
Caution
"or Red"
Danger
This seems to be extremely intuitive so perhaps I'm missing what your actual concern is. The manual spells it out plainly as well, is my take, it's doubtful a color manual would make it any more so. What exactly do you find confusing?
Replying to you and to @Coastie

Well, I'm sorry. We bought it used for my wife three weeks ago, and this weekend is the first time I've driven it. I spent well over an hour in the manual and didn't find it. After this comment, using amber as a search term in the PDF, I did find it in an area of the manual different from where I expected it to be.

There was no car in front of me when the car symbol flashed amber which is what puzzled me. IIRC there was no car in front or beside me the 2 times the red HUD red and beeps occurred. If I drive it again, I'll setup my phone and record video for a long while to correlate.

Thank y'all.

George

Hey Vern!

Reaction score
Replying to you and to @Coastie

Well, I'm sorry. We bought it used for my wife three weeks ago, and this weekend is the first time I've driven it. I spent well over an hour in the manual and didn't find it. After this comment, using amber as a search term in the PDF, I did find it in an area of the manual different from where I expected it to be.

There was no car in front of me when the car symbol flashed amber which is what puzzled me. IIRC there was no car in front or beside me the 2 times the red HUD red and beeps occurred. If I drive it again, I'll setup my phone and record video for a long while to correlate.

Thank y'all.

George
My collision warning(HUD) will sometimes alert on a parked car or an oncoming car.

NXR71

Reaction score
The manual discusses the Green color car symbol. I can perhaps correlate that with the manual, but not well. What I don't understand is what it means when it is Amber (fairly often) or Red (rare)

Are you saying the little car symbol in the DIC, the smaller center display, turns red? The 2022 Owners Manual does not mention "red" at all for that symbol.

Can you post a pic of your DIC with that symbol even while parked?

Hey Vern!

Reaction score
Are you saying the little car symbol in the DIC, the smaller center display, turns red? The 2022 Owners Manual does not mention "red" at all for that symbol.

NXR71,
My 18 is only yellow or green. The only red i see is the HUD.

gbynum

Reaction score

to you and @Hey Vern! , I'll try to get it next time I'm in the car. The red was brief and may have been a figment of my imagination, but I don't think so. I almost never drive it; this was a trip and she was tired; but she also thinks she has seen it red. We both have seen the HUD when we didn't understand why.

NXR71

Reaction score
The red lights and BEEP BEEP BEEP will occasionally false positive. I may see that once or twice a year, such as a sharp-ish turn under a bridge with a guard rail as you enter the turn.

But I'd rather know when it thinks there's a problem and there clearly is not versus it not alerting when there is.

Once we were on a rural road with a 50 MPH speed limit and almost no traffic. We rounded a turn to the left under a bridge and the stopped traffic was "right there". That's the only time in three years that the Automatic Emergency Braking may have come on. I hit the brakes but I swear the car was braking very hard an instant sooner.

Hey Vern!

Reaction score
The red lights and BEEP BEEP BEEP will occasionally false positive. I may see that once or twice a year, such as a sharp-ish turn under a bridge with a guard rail as you enter the turn.

But I'd rather know when it thinks there's a problem and there clearly is not versus it not alerting when there is.

Once we were on a rural road with a 50 MPH speed limit and almost no traffic. We rounded a turn to the left under a bridge and the stopped traffic was "right there". That's the only time in three years that the Automatic Emergency Braking may have come on. I hit the brakes but I swear the car was braking very hard an instant sooner.
I love the safety features. I thought I would dislike them, but I really like them.

ricklack

Reaction score
My car symbol on the DIC is white showing that Adaptive Cruise is on but no car is in range infront of me, and the car is not taking any action other than maintaining spped. When it shows green, it is telling me it sees a car within range but I am a safe distance behind it. It turns amber when I am getting too close to the car in front of me - by this time the brakes are slowing the car down (adaptive cruise). It also turns blue when I am impatient and accelerating faster than what the cruise is doing.

I have never seen it red but perhaps I was too focused on the road to notice it. I am thinking that would mean that you are getting dangerously close and better jam on the brakes! lol.

The only red I see is when the FCA flashes the red dots on the windshield and beeps. To add to what others mentioned regarding FCA giving false alerts - when I am in traffic and manually turn off the Adaptive cruise with the steering wheel control, the FCA almost always goes off if a car is in front of me. If I use the brake to cancel cruise, it does not do this as it knows I am already on the brake.

I agree with others, I was skeptical about some of the safety features at first, but have grown to appreciate them.

Last edited:

NXR71

Reaction score
I never have an FCA alert when using adaptive cruise. Do you have the following distance set to "one block", the minimum? I keep mine at "three blocks", the maximum following distance.

NXR71

Reaction score
As an aside this is an absolute head-shaker NHTSA complaint for a 2020 Equinox:
-------------------
TURNING RIGHT AFTER A YIELD AND TOOK A LOOP (HIGHWAY) MY VEHICLE CRASHED ANOTHER VEHICLE FROM BEHIND, BUT MY VEHICLE SUPPOSED TO HAVE AN AUTO WARNING OR ALERT SIGN THAT I SHOULD HAVE NOTICED, A BEEP THAT SUPPOSED TO ALERT ME THAT THE OTHER VEHICLE WAS SO CLOSE EVEN THE SWITCH WAS AT THE ON MODE.

ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL WHEN ON CLOSEST SETTING WILL NOT STOP THE CAR WHEN YOU ARE GOING OVER 60MPH, WHEN A CAR DRASTICALLY SLOWS DOWN IN FRONT OF YOU THE CAR FAILS TO RESPOND IN FACT THE ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL SHUTS OFF AND IVE PRACTICALLY HIT THE VEHICLE IN FRONT OF ME MANY TIMES.

ITS HARD TO TRUST THIS SYSTEM..AND THE OTHER DAY IT JUST SHUT OFF ALL TOGETHER WITHOUT A HARD WARNING I COULD HAVE PLOWED INTO THE CAR IN FRONT OF ME. ALSO THE LANE ASSIST DOES NOT BEEP/OR SEAT RATTLE WHEN YOU VEER FROM YOUR LANE. IT BEEPS RANDOMLY SOMETIMES WHEN YOU EDGE OUT OF YOUR LANE GOING AROUND A BEND "SOMETIMES" BUT RANDOMLY AND NOT CONSISTENTLY.

IVE TALKED TO CHEVYS CUSTOMER CARE TEAM AND THEY KEEP REFERRING TO THE DEALERSHIP LIKE THEY ARE THE MANUFACTURER..BUT THEY DID NOT DESIGN AND ARE ASSUMING ITS WORKING RIGHT BECAUSE ALL THEIR OTHER SAME MODELS DO THE SAME THINGS..IN MY OPINION THIS DOESNT MEAN ITS NOT A RECALLABLE INHERENT ISSUE WITH ITS CURRENT PROGRAMMING..

I THINK IT IS AND SHOULD BE CORRECTED BEFORE SOMEONE GETS HURT.
-------------------
I can think of a few things that need corrected and it ain't the car. Revoked driver license, mandatory birth control, and revocation of the right to vote come to mind.

ricklack

Reaction score
I never have an FCA alert when using adaptive cruise. Do you have the following distance set to "one block", the minimum? I keep mine at "three blocks", the maximum following distance.
Yeah, I keep at one block for gap setting. On 3 it seems to lag too much, but I do use that in the winter.

The alert only happens when I turn off ACC with the button on steering wheel, as opposed to using the brakes. It's no real bother.

ricklack

Reaction score
As an aside this is an absolute head-shaker NHTSA complaint for a 2020 Equinox:
-------------------

I can think of a few things that need corrected and it ain't the car. Revoked driver license, mandatory birth control, and revocation of the right to vote come to mind.
Wow! The manual (which I am sure this person never read) tells you never to trust the system and to always pay attention - which any sane person would be doing anyway. That excludes this clown .....

Members online