87 octane vs 93 octane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slp

Reaction score
Anyone have a subjective comparison between 87 octane and 93 octane ( both top tier). I have seen several posts that say premium fuel will result in better performance and higher mpg. JuSt wonder if my 2022 rs would benefit from using 93 top tier instead of 87 top tier.

ricklack

Reaction score
When I switched my 1.5T to premium I noticed a boost in performance and slightly better mileage. The mileage difference is not enough to pay for the premium, but I'll take any boost in performance I can get lol

SteveK

Reaction score
Since the 80's I have run Chevron 94. This was after multiple full tank runs of 87 & 94. Yes I gained enough milage for the extra cost. Performance, 94 does not create extra, what happens is that 94 does not lose power as 87 will do when accellerating and climbing a hill. You heard of ping? In the past you could actually hear it, but modern vehicles just retard the timing as soon as it occurs, no ping sound. Most will never notice this loss of power or what causes it and happily get the 87. Of course if most of your driving is on level roads and you never peddle to the metal 87 will work well.
I like the wipelash when I step on it.

SteveK

Reaction score
OMG, you mean I never needed it.
Please take my advice and do whatever you want with your vehicle.

AmmoJoe

Reaction score
Not sure if you have every heard of the channel Project Farm on YouTube but he does excellent testing for all sorts of things. In the past 2 weeks he did a test on different types of gas to see the performance difference and his findings were that it’s not worth paying for the premium price to get such small gains.

ricklack

Reaction score
Not sure if you have every heard of the channel Project Farm on YouTube but he does excellent testing for all sorts of things. In the past 2 weeks he did a test on different types of gas to see the performance difference and his findings were that it’s not worth paying for the premium price to get such small gains.
I live for small gains!!!! Tell Farm Dude to shove it! :ROFLMAO:

Members online

No members online now.