2022 LT: Cargo area rear has missing, black, plastic trim/cover.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smokin Equinox

Reaction score
Passenger side inner, closest to rear bimper. Went to Dealer. Says Normal WTH? Pix I can drop small toys/balls in there and they go into inner structure! I see/touch" inside of the OUTER rear fender! Are they crazy?? I walked out and said Ill be back. Help! ( light brown shapes in pix are just sunlight shinking thru open hatch)

This is ABOVE Spare tire well. pad/rug......

Smokin

Attachments

• 20230727_165406.jpg
    20230727_165406.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 25

ravenblack67

Reaction score
The same on mine. I filled it with bubblewrap and placed a piece of hard plastic at the opening.

gary255

Reaction score
Passenger side inner, closest to rear bimper. Went to Dealer. Says Normal WTH? Pix I can drop small toys/balls in there and they go into inner structure! I see/touch" inside of the OUTER rear fender! Are they crazy?? I walked out and said Ill be back. Help! ( light brown shapes in pix are just sunlight shinking thru open hatch)

Smokin
I have a 2021 GMC Terrain and it's the same.

CPG

Reaction score

Smokin
That area is where the optional cargo cover is stored when not in use. Check your owner's manual in the cargo cover section (pages 76 & 77 in my 2023 Equinox owner's manual) and it will show it being stored in that area. It is so long that if you didn't have that area open, it wouldn't fit for storage. I got an aftermarket cover and it was about $70. The GM model Is $170. My aftermarket cover will not fit in that area... it's constructed differently then GM model. So if you want to take the cargo cover out and store it like the owners manual shows when not in use, you have to go with the GM cover.

Last edited:

Smokin Equinox

Reaction score
That area is where the optional cargo cover is stored when not in use. Check your owner's manual in the cargo cover section (pages 76 & 77 in my 2023 Equinox owner's manual) and it will show it being stored in that area. It is so long that if you didn't have that area open, it wouldn't fit for storage. I got an aftermarket cover and it was about $70. The GM model Is $170. My aftermarket cover will not fit in that area... it's constructed differently then GM model. So if you want to take the cargo cover out and store it like the owners manual shows when not in use, you have to go with the GM cover.
Tks CPG! I got it. But what a silly thing to leave as an option! I already had something fall in there! What is GM thinking these days?? Peace.

Smokin

CPG

Reaction score
Tks CPG! I got it. But what a silly thing to leave as an option! I already had something fall in there! What is GM thinking these days?? Peace.

Smokin
I think it's a safety issue... There has to be a way to lock down the cargo cover so that it can't fly around in an accident and kill somebody... Read the owner's manual page 76 and 77 and it says that it's a place to "safely stow the cargo cover when not in use". It probably weighs 5 to 10 lb.

CPG

Reaction score
I think it's a safety issue... There has to be a way to lock down the cargo cover so that it can't fly around in an accident and kill somebody... Read the owner's manual page 76 and 77 and it says that it's a place to "safely stow the cargo cover when not in use". It probably weighs 5 to 10 lb.
Also owned a 1999 Camaro with t-tops... They also had places to lock them down and stow them when you had them removed, but in the back of the car... Again, so that they couldn't fly around and injure folks in an accident.

CPG

Reaction score
Also owned a 1999 Camaro with t-tops... They also had places to lock them down and stow them when you had them removed, but in the back of the car... Again, so that they couldn't fly around and injure folks in an accident.
One last point... If you look at your original photo of the area in question, you can see molded into the plastic an open book with the letter "i" for information in the middle of the open book.. that means look in the owner's manual to understand what that area is about.

bagbyjw

Reaction score
My 2022 LS has the same thing, I just keep the cover in place and nothing can or will fall into limbo/space

Staff online

Members online