2021 - Front end wobble ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brian-Nj

Reaction score
you can print the tsb and bring it but will have to be a gm dealer . I have the 2.0 lt and like you does it under a hard accel but being the tsb is just for the 1.5 they told me we can try balancing the tires but you’ll have to pay for that . I know it’s the half shafts had same problem with an older gm car . And that car they did the shafts under warranty . So I just live with it . It’s not horrible but shouldn’t be .!!

Brian-Nj

Reaction score
I believe they will put the updated shafts in your vehicle the tsb shows the updated gm part numbers . I just deal with it and if I someday get tired of it I’ll do them myself . But without the tsb covering them more than likely they will try all kinds of other things and charge me so I’m not gonna bother . I bought a Buick verano about 10 years ago and it did the same thing . I found a tsb for it and they changed them and been good ever since . In fact I still have it with 145k on it .

PoManNox

Reaction score
I believe they will put the updated shafts in your vehicle the tsb shows the updated gm part numbers . I just deal with it and if I someday get tired of it I’ll do them myself . But without the tsb covering them more than likely they will try all kinds of other things and charge me so I’m not gonna bother . I bought a Buick verano about 10 years ago and it did the same thing . I found a tsb for it and they changed them and been good ever since . In fact I still have it with 145k on it .
I hear you. My fear is I've been down similar roads with dealers before. A TSB being just a bulletin and not a recall, etc.. doesn't mean they have to throw new parts on the vehicle for me no questions asked.

They could drive my vehicle for 100 miles and not get it to do the wobble at all. When it does it, it does it very noticeably. I just don't want them playing the blame game. It's your tires, it's the transmission, it's just the way the vehicle is, etc..

My only ace in the hole is I just bought it from this large dealer chain a week ago. It just happened to be from their Mazda store and not their chevy dealership, which is a good hour round trip drive for me. I did make an online appt at the Mazda dealer for next week since that's where I bought it, but I may cancel that one and set something up at their Chevy dealer instead.

Brian-Nj

Reaction score
I hear you . My bet is that Mazda dealer gonna give you a line of b.s.

PoManNox

Reaction score
I hear you . My bet is that Mazda dealer gonna give you a line of b.s.
I cancelled the appt with the mazda dealer and scheduled one with the chevy dealer under the same dealer chain. Now I can rarely get my nox to do the wobble. Ugh.. Curious to see what they have to say about the oil wetness coming from above the a/c compressor and coating the compressor. No drips. Just seepage.

I'll try the dealer visit anyway and post back.

PoManNox

Reaction score
The Chevy dealer just called me. They said it's the axle shafts. They're going to put new front CV shafts on my 2021 Equinox 1.5T with 35K miles on it. They didn't have the shafts in stock. Had to order them. Should be in later today or tomorrow.

In terms of my oil seepage situation, where something is seeping oil from above the a/c compressor, he thinks it's oil from the PCV system that has seeped out of the turbo. They cleaned the area and will re-check.

PoManNox

Reaction score
Just picked my Equinox up from the Chevy dealer. Two brand new GM CV axles installed up front. Wobble/Vibs seem to be gone.

They cleaned the oil seepage area, test drove and re-checked. Per the service advisor, it seems to have seeped from the turbo charger somewhere, but is not actively leaking. They noted it and said to bring it back if it drips.

Brian-Nj

Reaction score
Just picked my Equinox up from the Chevy dealer. Two brand new GM CV axles installed up front. Wobble/Vibs seem to be gone.

They cleaned the oil seepage area, test drove and re-checked. Per the service advisor, it seems to have seeped from the turbo charger somewhere, but is not actively leaking. They noted it and said to bring it back if it drips.
Glad to hear about the axles .

PoManNox

Reaction score
Glad to hear about the axles .
Thanks for nudging me in the direction to get it done.

I figure this would be a good $1200 dealer job if you had to pay. The Amazon machine lists the CV shafts at around $160/ea. Dealer would likely double that, then add $190/hr labor. The part numbers for the shafts are 85103941 and 942.

Brian-Nj

Reaction score
And gm probably won’t issue the tsb for the 2.0 because 95% of the equinoxes sold were 1.5’s that’s why they discontinued the 2.0 so I’ll deal with it I guess.

Brian-Nj

Reaction score
I’ve been trying to find out if they have updated shafts for the 2.0. Don’t wanna buy the same numbers mine has in it from factory and have same issue

PoManNox

Reaction score
I’ve been trying to find out if they have updated shafts for the 2.0. Don’t wanna buy the same numbers mine has in it from factory and have same issue
For sure on that.

I can't imagine what it is with these CV shafts that causes such an intermittent issue. It's not like full-lock turn noises, or crazy angles to the joints causing issues.

I don't think the axle swap took the tech more than 30min yesterday. They called me at around 2:30pm to give me the prognosis and to tell me the parts should be in later in the day or the next day. Just over an hour later they called me to say it was done and ready for me.

You can tell the tech popped the upper and lower ball joints on both sides to be able to swing the knuckles out of the way enough to get the shafts in/out. He spilled ATF on the driver's side and spilled a tiny bit of ATF under the hood. I assume topping it back up. The replacement shafts look like genuine GM. I hope they are. Aftermarkets are way too hit/miss.

Brian-Nj

Reaction score
My guess is under the heavy load they are flexing a bit . Nothings made as good as it used to be

PoManNox

Reaction score
I've had probably 2 dozen or more FWD based vehicles since the mid 1980s and have never needed to get half shafts replaced for anything other than a torn CV joint boot. I suppose the blame for the late model Equinox wobble (or other GM products) is just a function of poor materials and assembly quality from what ever vendor GM buys their CV shafts from.

It would be interesting to know when the problem cropped up on my 2021 for the previous owner in the ~34K miles and 3yrs they owned it. This thing saw dealer service every 3-4 months per the carfax as well.

PoManNox

Reaction score
Just an update to this, but it seems the fix may not be the fix. At least in my case. It's been almost a month since I had the CV axles replaced and the wobble/shake is back, but to a much less degree. I noticed it about 2 days ago during a hard acceleration. So weird..

Members online