2019 RS 2.0 AWD Drivetrain humming noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cdsptatc

Reaction score
Recently began hearing a humming noise from drivetrain when in FWD. Noise disappears when AWD engages. No warning lights on dash. Can someone explain how the AWD engages? Is it a clutch-type system? Sounds like the AWD “clutch” isn’t completely disengaging. Anyone had a similar experience?

gary255

Reaction score
Recently began hearing a humming noise from drivetrain when in FWD. Noise disappears when AWD engages. No warning lights on dash. Can someone explain how the AWD engages? Is it a clutch-type system? Sounds like the AWD “clutch” isn’t completely disengaging. Anyone had a similar experience?
I had a 2018 Equinox AWD and currently own a 2021 GMC Terrain AWD and they both make that same humming noise when the temp gets below freezing. I had the Equinox to the dealer many times and the issue was never resolved. They even replaced the transfer case under warranty. When disengaging the AWD, it does not release immediately while vehicle is in motion. As you said,the noise does go away in AWD on both of my vehicles. I would assume you live in a colder climate.

Cdsptatc

Reaction score
I do live in Northern Indiana. My third Winter in this car. First time I’ve experienced it. It’s supposed to warm up this next week. I’ll see if it indeed goes away at above freezing temperatures. Thanks for the response!

2020nox

Reaction score
Did you ever figure this out? I have a 1.5 awd and it’s doing the exact same thing. It’s been under 10 degrees here the last few days. Did yours go away when it warmed up some?

Members online