2019 Equinox water in spare tire well and floor of back seats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

suarich

Reaction score
Anybody know of any known leaks in the 2019 Equinox? I have a Premiere with the sunroof and have just discovered water in the spare tire well and also the floor in the back seat area with mold.

Taking to dealer in the morning, just trying to make sure they look everywhere.

Ke6zri

Reaction score
Sounds like leaks in the seals of the door frames or sunroof..possibly the molding was not placed in properly at the factory . Would check the trim around all doors and windows and see if molding is attached properly to the frame.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BMobilia

Reaction score
Anybody know of any known leaks in the 2019 Equinox? I have a Premiere with the sunroof and have just discovered water in the spare tire well and also the floor in the back seat area with mold.

I am having the same issue with my 2019 Equinox Premier. I was curious to what the dealer found with yours and if you have had additional problems since. Thanks

Mbourque

Reaction score
2019 Equinox leak

We have the exact same problem. Spare tire compartment full of water and back seat rugs soaked and have mold. We bought the top of the line model for nearly 50 k and are not happy. We have an appointment with the dealer on Tuesday. Unfortunately it’s going to rain and snow for the next 2 days. Ugh

Gordito

Reaction score
Micro Climate in Equinox

We purchased the all new Equinox in 2018, and it now has 7000 miles on it. Recently a micro climate has manifested inside the vehicle. I woke up one morning to see condesation all over the inside windows like a sweating beer can most of it on the windshield plus the upholstery was damp. The vehicle has has not been compromised and this phonemona has come out of nowhere. The vehicle has a sun roof, but we have only opened it twice. A very peculiar situation as we rarely drive the Equinox. I took the Equniox to a glass shop and they tested the drain holes on the sunroof and found no issues. He said perhaps the windshield seals are bad and a new glass will be $800. You have to love that Chevrolet quality.

Gordito

Reaction score
Spare tire well

Hello Forum, I just checked the Spare tire wheel well and the compartment was full of water and mold. The basic warranty has now expired therefore I sincerely doubt the dealer will assist. What is causing this issue becuase I may have to fix this myself.

Bobbread

Reaction score
Just came back from Chevy dealership
My 2019 Equinox Premier had a moldy wet smell I googled and sure enough water in the spare tire wheel well
Anyway I was told that I left my sunroof open
but they graciously removed the water and removed the smell for $75 unfortunately they left the wet mat in the car under the tire
Time will tell on this
Anyway after reading all the posts I find it hard to believe that it was my doing only because I never opened the roof
Soooo disappointed

Gordito

Reaction score
Spare tire well

We took the 2018 Equinox to a Glass replacement shop per the local Chevy dealer since we were one month out of warranty. The first glass shop checked only the front two drain holes and reported no issues. Unknown to me at the time the Panoramic sunroof has four drain holes. In my scenario only one of the two being on the driver side rear hole was clogged. To fix the issue the rear interior of the vehicle has to be disassembled starting at the spare wheel floor and then work your way up the sides of the hard plastic walls until finally dropping the headliner to gain access to the drain ports. If you attempt this you must use extreme care to not touch the interior sun shade of the sunroof mechanism. If you ajar or wrinkle the sun shade it will never look or operate the same again. This design is very problematic due to when the rear port of the sunroof leaks it drops water all over the electrical relay box located on the driver side rear of the vehicle. The relay has it own small service door accessible from the trunk storage area. Add to that if the water accumulates long enough in the spare tire wheel well mold will become pervasive (in my case) under the subfloor which covers the spare tire compartment. This entire episode has been an expensive nightmare to put it politely. We will never buy a sunroof option moving forward.

TARDIS B

Reaction score
I bought a 2015 RAM. No sunroof. Water would leak in around windshield. No fixes ever worked it started having electrical issues and I was sick of scraping ice from inside and outside of the vehicle every morning. I traded it in for a used 2015 equinox because of the negative equity. It has a sunroof and I use it all the time. Only issue I've had was a transmission leak that turned out to be a bad axle (after the fourth warranty fix). Otherwise a solid car so far. I definitely still want a truck though.
I hope you guys aren't in the same boat as I was with your leaks, but definitely get the Chevy app and if you are still under warranty contact their advisors before the dealership and after every fix if it isn't made right. The dealership service managers are always nicer when Chevrolet is breathing down their backs.

sjon1308

Reaction score
Just came back from Chevy dealership
My 2019 Equinox Premier had a moldy wet smell I googled and sure enough water in the spare tire wheel well
Anyway I was told that I left my sunroof open
but they graciously removed the water and removed the smell for $75 unfortunately they left the wet mat in the car under the tire
Time will tell on this
Anyway after reading all the posts I find it hard to believe that it was my doing only because I never opened the roof
Soooo disappointed
We had the same issue on our 2018 Equinox Premier. Dealer was waste of time. We replaced the rear gasket on the rear hatch. No more water in tire well

Flash

Reaction score
And the reason we turned down 2019 after test driving one with the sun/moon roof. It appears the drain holes will plug up at times due to people leaving the roof or sunroof open. Stuff from trees falls into the roof area and plugs up the drain holes. While test driving one we heard sloshing and found water in the back seat area. My wife ended up with a new Premier, minus the sunroof. Heard you can buy some stout fishing line or weed whacker line and run it thru the drain holes on occasion to clear them out.

Wade

Reaction score

Have had my premier in many times for water leaks. I park facing down hill and if bad rain we get water leaking from the upper console. They say they can’t find the leak, it’s been in 4/5 times now.

Moek

Reaction score
I can not believe I just found this forum. Let me say I have been living a nightmare I have taken my car to the dealer I think three times now. Issues with sunroof back in 2020 while driving I had my sunroof open and it started to rain I tried to close the sunroof but it would close then open had to pull over shut off the car . Took it to dealer they said motor went bad they replaced In April of 2022 we had some bad rainstorms since I work from home I am not in my car as much. The week after the rainstorms I went out opened up my sunroof picked up what I needed and headed home. Go to close my sunroof and it won’t close turned off the car turned it back on and nothing. My neighbors placed trash bags over the opening taped it down we were getting rain that night. The next day I take off from work take it to dealers and they in form me that looks like I need new sunroof and by the way you Have a lot of water in your wheel well you should take a shop vac to it when you get home. So much more to this story but last week it poured again and sure enough water in the back seat and wheel well. I actually took it to my auto body shop they found out where the leak was coming from and video taped it because they were shocked! Seems when it rains there is a drain That goes to the 4 tubes well the drain is taking in the water but not draining fast enough it is pouring out over the sides. They checked the tubes all 4 tubes completely clean of debris. They said take it to the dealer and have them check. We will see , I am not driving this if every time it rains i have to check to see if it is dry no way it already was smelling from the last time. Chevy needs to do the right thing here. I bought this in 2017 only has 30,000 miles on it

TamSand

Reaction score
I have a 2018 premier and last summer during rain season (FL) my equinox flooded. Back floor was sopping wet, spare well full of water, it smelled so bad and the windows wouldn’t defrost after it rained and with this Florida humidity I had to defrost and dry off the windshield for at least 20 mins before I could drive. I took it to the dealership and finally the third service mgr I worked with knew exactly what it was. The gutter system for the sunroof had been clogged. He explained that the sunroof is not meant to be waterproof and there are gutters that run down the body of the car behind the door pillars and are supposed to drain all excess water that the sunroof can’t keep out. He asked me if I park under any trees. Of course I do, I look for shade in every parking lot, it’s HOT here! Well, apparently the crap from the oak trees I parked under every day at home AND work clogged the gutters and the water had nowhere to go so it came into the car. He walked me into the shop where there were 3 other equinox taken apart and drying.. 🙄🤦🏼‍♀️ At least I finally had an answer.
This was quoted between $1100-2500 depending on what kind of mold was found and what needed to be replaced. It ended up costing me $1400 as he worked with me and felt bad because the other service dudes I worked with treated me like I was stupid. They took the interior out and dried everything out, replaced the jute rug under the carpet in the entire car and ran an ozonator treatment through the vent system 3 times and replaced all of the interior filters because everything had mold growing.
Now it’s rain season again. I have NOT parked under a tree for an entire year and it’s doing it again and smells like mold and musty mildew. It’s baaaaack 🤬 My service mgr is not working there anymore and I’ve left 2 messages for his replacement. I’m not dropping one more white hot cent into this issue.

mcseforsale

Reaction score
When will this be a recall? It should be. We have water cascading down on a fuseblock in the rear of the car. Every time it rains, the spare tirewell fills up....you also get a foot wash when you first take off. Our car has 67K miles on it. It's an unusable car with a monthly payment bought as a certified Chevy car.

caireen77

Reaction score
I have a 2018 premier and last summer during rain season (FL) my equinox flooded. Back floor was sopping wet, spare well full of water, it smelled so bad and the windows wouldn’t defrost after it rained and with this Florida humidity I had to defrost and dry off the windshield for at least 20 mins before I could drive. I took it to the dealership and finally the third service mgr I worked with knew exactly what it was. The gutter system for the sunroof had been clogged. He explained that the sunroof is not meant to be waterproof and there are gutters that run down the body of the car behind the door pillars and are supposed to drain all excess water that the sunroof can’t keep out. He asked me if I park under any trees. Of course I do, I look for shade in every parking lot, it’s HOT here! Well, apparently the crap from the oak trees I parked under every day at home AND work clogged the gutters and the water had nowhere to go so it came into the car. He walked me into the shop where there were 3 other equinox taken apart and drying.. 🙄🤦🏼‍♀️ At least I finally had an answer.
This was quoted between $1100-2500 depending on what kind of mold was found and what needed to be replaced. It ended up costing me $1400 as he worked with me and felt bad because the other service dudes I worked with treated me like I was stupid. They took the interior out and dried everything out, replaced the jute rug under the carpet in the entire car and ran an ozonator treatment through the vent system 3 times and replaced all of the interior filters because everything had mold growing.
Now it’s rain season again. I have NOT parked under a tree for an entire year and it’s doing it again and smells like mold and musty mildew. It’s baaaaack 🤬 My service mgr is not working there anymore and I’ve left 2 messages for his replacement. I’m not dropping one more white hot cent into this issue.
I have a 2020. Have had it for about19 months and am just now having this issue. The dealership blamed it on the same thing and I paid them to blow out the lines. It hasn’t rained, the back floor was almost dry to I covered it with baking soda and low and behold got up this morning to vacuum it and it’s soaked again. Saw this forum and checked the tire well- yup full of water.

TriFive555657

Reaction score
I bought a 2015 RAM. No sunroof. Water would leak in around windshield. No fixes ever worked it started having electrical issues and I was sick of scraping ice from inside and outside of the vehicle every morning. I traded it in for a used 2015 equinox because of the negative equity. It has a sunroof and I use it all the time. Only issue I've had was a transmission leak that turned out to be a bad axle (after the fourth warranty fix). Otherwise a solid car so far. I definitely still want a truck though.
I hope you guys aren't in the same boat as I was with your leaks, but definitely get the Chevy app and if you are still under warranty contact their advisors before the dealership and after every fix if it isn't made right. The dealership service managers are always nicer when Chevrolet is breathing down their backs.
I am having the same issue with my 2018 Chevy Equinox. The other day while I was driving as I braked for a traffic light water started pouring onto the backseat floor well from the spare tire compartment. I looked and the spare tire compartment was full of water. I got all the water out but it is still an issue. The car has a moldy smell now and there is also a lot of condensation on the inside of the windshield. I am calling the dealership tomorrow. I am a lifetime Chevrolet owner but if they don't take care of this at a reasonable price my next car purchase next spring will not be a Chevrolet.

stefanibuhajla

Reaction score
2020 Equinox Premier with the same bleeping problem. Had it to the dealer SIX times in a year and a half. Every time they say it’s the drain lines. Sorry, not buying it. There is something else going on here. Already had to have the sunroof motor replaced once because the water is running down the quarter panel into the electrical box and shorting things out. Sunroof is now broken again. I’m so angry and can’t get any answers or help.

Flash

Reaction score
Only answer is trade it in for one with no sun roof

SteveK

Reaction score
Have not had this problem (yet maybe). So far I am reading description of the source (maybe the source).
How does the water get to the tire well. I mean does it drip down onto the carpet on the access lid, or follow a hidden side drainage. How does it end up in the well. Is there a water trail.

Members online

No members online now.