'14 Equinox 97,000 miles, catalytic converter bad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scarykid

Reaction score
So me and my wife just recently bought a 2014 Chevy Equinox LT2 2.4l with 97,000 miles on it and one of the catalytic converters is already no good. I was hoping it was just an 02 sensor, but I took it to my local muffler shop and he is stating that catalytic converter needs to be replaced to clear the P0420 code. At 97,000 miles and only 3 years old that seems a little premature to me, so I'm wondering if something else is going on in the engine to make the cat fail so early. I thought it might be the oil burning issue that some of these Equinox's have, but from what I can tell that isn't the case on this vehicle. It's been about 2,000 miles since I changed the oil and I just checked the dipstick and it's almost all the way to the top so it doesn't seem to be burning too much oil. Anyone else had a similar issue? I don't want to replace the cat if something else is going on and it's just going to go bad again. Also, when the car downshifts into first gear it's a little harder than the other gears, only happens while downshifting though. My transmission guy says the trans computer might need be reset, but I wanted to see if anyone also had a similar issue and possible fix first before I run it to the dealer. Thanks in advance for any help!

Members online

No members online now.