Is it worth buying?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clancaster23

Reaction score
2007 Equinox LT with 146,xxx miles on it. Very clean body and interior minus there's some paint missing just below the rear wiper which isn't a big deal. They say it runs and drives good but it's "blowing smelly smoke like a gas smell". I'm only looking to flip it so I want to spend as little as possible fixing it. I've read It may be something with the fuel lines or something else in that area. There is no check engine light on so that isn't helping diagnose the issue. Any idea on what the issue may be and how expensive of a fix would it be?

cavell

Reaction score
Coolant in exhaust smells funny. Is this they said and you haven’t looked at it?

clancaster23

Reaction score
They're saying a gas smell, not a coolant smell. I have read that sometimes these vehicles sometimes tend to leak on top of the fuel tank and some hoses there can also crack and leak but I'm not sure how that would be sending out smoke through the exhaust unless it has this issue AND a blown head gasket.

I have no looked at it yet. It's probably 50 miles from me and I want to gather any info I can before I take the time to go see it.

cavell

Reaction score
sister replaced her 08 gas tank due to leak. My kid bought it 2 yrs ago. Sis never gave me details. Just $$$ for new tank.

larry

Reaction score
2007 Equinox LT with 146,xxx miles on it. Very clean body and interior minus there's some paint missing just below the rear wiper which isn't a big deal. They say it runs and drives good but it's "blowing smelly smoke like a gas smell". I'm only looking to flip it so I want to spend as little as possible fixing it. I've read It may be something with the fuel lines or something else in that area. There is no check engine light on so that isn't helping diagnose the issue. Any idea on what the issue may be and how expensive of a fix would it be?
Coolant doesn't smell like coolant after its burned in the engine and it can cause incomplete combustion and lead to gas in the exhaust smell.

cavell

Reaction score
Found an 06 and seller says it has cracked head. and new wp and thermostat. Used to overheat. But is ok now. 80 mi away. Unknown miles. Then I found one w/113k miles and same issue but 20 mi away. Might go see it and look for subframe issues.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Unless you just want a "project" ride I would stay away from anything with that many miles on it.

Members online

No members online now.