USB Music

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kskruser

Reaction score
Hi all...

Although this is about my '22 'nox (with 'Infotainment Package'), it probably applies to earlier models as well...

Does anyone else use a USB thumb-drive, with MP3 files on it, for music? Mine is permanently plugged in to the front USB-A port.

About 3 times out of 5, when I start the car, the audio system does not recognize the thumb-drive - it reports "No Deice Found". If I unplug the thumb drive, and immediately re-plug it (same connector) it will always recognize the drive and start to play the MP3 files. And yes, I've tried different thumb drives, including one from a well-known mfgr.

Yes, this is only a minor inconvenience, since it works after I unplug/plug the device. Still, it's wrong - I would think the system should ALWAYS recognize the drive immediately, and start playing where it left off last time.

Question: Has anyone else seen this behavior? Before I complain to the dealer, I'd like to know if it's a common issue with other owners.

Thanks for any response. -Richard

rebel71292

Reaction score
Yes, It was because of the type of the USB and the formatting of same. Works great afterwards. Now I have a 2022 model and voice reconition doesn't work on the USB and they have blocked the song browser if you are going more than 5 MPH.

renossuv

Reaction score
I have a 2019 NOX. First, I have my USB thumb drive connected inside the center compartment, so as to free up the front port to connect my charge cable for my cell phone (and play music also too). I have tried using the front USB port, selected the USB (shows name of thumb drive) on the touch screen and it always plays when I turn on the vehicle. If I last used SiriusXM or USB, then SiriusXM or USB will come on when I restart the vehicle. Don't know if your Infotainment is any different from mine, but check to see if 'YOU' need to make any default changes in 'Settings'. Have you 'Updated' your unit via your home 'WiFI' also?

Autoworker 74

Reaction score
Hi all...

Although this is about my '22 'nox (with 'Infotainment Package'), it probably applies to earlier models as well...

Does anyone else use a USB thumb-drive, with MP3 files on it, for music? Mine is permanently plugged in to the front USB-A port.

About 3 times out of 5, when I start the car, the audio system does not recognize the thumb-drive - it reports "No Deice Found". If I unplug the thumb drive, and immediately re-plug it (same connector) it will always recognize the drive and start to play the MP3 files. And yes, I've tried different thumb drives, including one from a well-known mfgr.

Yes, this is only a minor inconvenience, since it works after I unplug/plug the device. Still, it's wrong - I would think the system should ALWAYS recognize the drive immediately, and start playing where it left off last time.

Question: Has anyone else seen this behavior? Before I complain to the dealer, I'd like to know if it's a common issue with other owners.

Autoworker 74

Reaction score
My 14 equinox has the USB connection in the console and I never had a problem. My Wife's 18 is up front in the little storage compartment. It's too easy to get bumped around. I had a RCA in my wife's car but it actually looked like a thumb drive. It wasn't worth a damn. I bought an old fashioned mp3 player and put it into the console and bought a USB extension wire and ran it from inside the console to the USB port. I never had an issue with it again

ChrisnmiC

Reaction score
Hi all...

I own a 2013, and it's been an inconvenience for the last 9 years. I've used 4 or 5 different brand drives, but that didn't make a difference. Seems like temperature fluctuations influence the non- recognizability. BTW, my 2019 Volt experiences the same annoying trait.

rebel71292

Reaction score
I own a 2013, and it's been an inconvenience for the last 9 years. I've used 4 or 5 different brand drives, but that didn't make a difference. Seems like temperature fluctuations influence the non- recognizability. BTW, my 2019 Volt experiences the same annoying trait.
You need to format the USB to fat32 for it to work

Rburn99

Reaction score
You need to format the USB to fat32 for it to work
Yes formatting it to fat32 is the only way it will recognize the contents at all. But that isn't the issue. The issue is that even though the vehicle will play songs off the fat32 formatted usb stick, the next time or two or ten that you get in the car again it will say "No Device Found" forcing you to start removing and plugging it in again until it recognizes the device again and starts playing mp3s again.

kskruser

Reaction score
Hey Rburn99...

I'm the original poster on this thread (see the very first post). I agree with the others that the format has to be FAT32, but the system also seems to prefer some brands over others. I'm now using a 'SanDisk 32GB Cruzer Fit' thumb drive and all's well... FWIW.

Rburn99

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'm currently using a Kingston 16gb. I just ordered a Verbatim usb-c. Maybe that will work. If not I'll try the SanDisk.

Members online