transmission fluid change '08 equinox

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazyfists82

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I have a question regarding what a proper transmission service should be for a 2008 Equinox. I have the 3.4 liter aisin-warner 5 speed automatic. I have called numerous places about this service and seem to literally get a different answer from everyone of them! I am hopeful that there are a few folks on here that can help me out. I do not want to get the tranny flushed as it has high km's (178000) so I just want to have the fluid "exchanged" I have be told by some transmission shops that in order to access the tranny filter, the transmission needs to be completely removed so I was planning on just leaving the filter alone. I have also been told by some people that there is no pan to be dropped and all you do is drain the old fluid, replace it with new fluid, and repeat a couple of times. Others have told me however, that dropping the pan is part of the service and should be done. If anyone has any knowledge about this topic a reply would be greatly appreciated.

prheaume

Reaction score
I've done this service on my 07 last year, cost me 120$ tx in ... the filter doesn't need to be changed, that is an inline filtre, sort of strainer that the tech told me. Putted Castro Multi vehicule fluid on it and it runs like a charm 15 000 km later !

crazyfists82

Reaction score
Ok, thank you. That's what I'm going to have done on Monday. Mister Transmission near where I work has a special on for $89.95 and I asked about the procedure and he said he will drain and add fluid then run the vehicle on the hoist and repeat the procedure. He also said he will use OEM fluid ( T-IV ). I have been looking online to see whether there was any other fluid that could be used in place of the T-IV but couldn't find any search results that satisfied me. Is the Castrol Multi-purpose a 3309 type lubricant? and is it synthetic? Now I just need to figure out what the annoying pinging sound is that I have been hearing with the window down...sounds like its coming from the driveline at the front and not "engine ping" because it does it during coasting also. I can't really find any specific pattern to it. I don't suppose you have had this issue have you?? lol. Anyways, thanks again for your reply. Much appreciated.

prheaume

Reaction score
haha no I don't had that noise earlier. And no Castrol Multi Vehicule is not synthetic. It was about 7$ a liter if I remember well, the guy called GM and they confirmed it is a good replacement for the OEM.

Reaction score
Listed below are the specifications for your 2008 Equinox. AMSOIL's ATF is 100% synthetic and would work well in your application. I know that some Canadian Tire shops carry AMSOIL, you can look in the phone book, or I can send you a quote if you are interested.

Engine Oil
Grade 1......API*[1]

Maximum Performance SAE 5W-30 Signature Series 100% Synthetic Motor Oil (ASLQT)

Performance Plus XL 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil (XLFQT)

Performance OE 5W30 Synthetic Motor Oil (OEFQT)
All TEMPS......5W-30
Automatic Transmission,AF33-5......TIV [2]
Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) (ATFQT)
Differential, Rear......GL-5
All TEMPS......75W-90 [3]
SEVERE GEAR 75W-90 Synthetic EP Lubricant (SVGQT)
75W-90 Synthetic Long Life Gear Lube (FGRQT)
SAE 80W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube (AGLQT)
Transfer Case,NVG 900......SLF [4]
No AMSOIL Product Recommendation
Fluids
Brake Fluid......HB
AMSOIL Brake Fluid DOT-3 (BF3SN)
[1] Oil must be formulated to meet GM standard GM6094M.
[2] T-IV Automatic Transmission Fluid GM Part No. 88900925
[3] Synthetic axle lubricant GM Part no. 89021677 / Canada
89021678 formulated to meet GM Specification 9986115.
[4] GM part no. 12378514.
FILTERS:
Oil Filter Absolute Efficiency Oil Filter (EA15K29)
Oil Filter WIX 51040 Oil Filter
Air Filter WIX 46902 Air Filter
Cabin Air Filter WIX 24872 Cabin Air Filter [1]
[1] Not all models may be outfitted with a cabin air filter. Please verify before ordering.
NGK PLUGS AND WIRESETS:
GPSERIES PLUG TR55GP NGK3403
IXIRIDIUM PLUG TR55IX NGK7164
PREMIUMIRIDIUM PLUG ITR4A-15 NGK5599 [1]
[1] Plugs - OEM/OES Spark Plug
WIPER BLADES:
Blade Class Driver Passenger Rear
ExactFit T241 T191 T151
NeoForm T16240 T16190 T16140
Winter T37245 T37190 T37150
CHASSIS LUBRICATION:
0 Fittings, 0 Plugs
CAPACITIES:
Engine, with filter..........4.5 quarts [1]
Cooling System, Initial Fill..........10.6 quarts
AMSOIL Antifreeze and Engine Coolant
Automatic Transmission, AF33-5 Initial Fill..........4.2 quarts
Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
5 speed AF33-5..........8.2 quarts
Differential, Rear..........1.1 pints
Transfer Case, NVG 900..........1.1 pints [2]
[1] After refill check oil level.
[2] Fill to the bottom of fill hole.
TORQUES:
Oil Drain Plug.....18 ft/lbs
Transfer Case NVG900
Fill Plug 11 ft/lbs
Drain Plug 18 ft/lbs

LanaLou

Reaction score
Another option is to purchase the Toyota T-IV fluid. It runs around $7 per quart instead of the GM $19 per quart. Anyway, same fluid, different branding!

Members online